This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
    No i didn't. A baker owns his business. A worker at Mc donalds (or what ever fast food joint we've heard about cops getting refused service at), does not own the business..
    Whichever way this goes, we should know the answer before the end of the year. This case is on the fall docket for SCOTUS.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
      The one-news now article didn't mention the blaze as being their source for that..
      It's highlighted, in blue, with a imbedded link that does not work.
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Why fight a potential nuclear war on just one front?
        http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news...ectid=11932425

As a non American, am I allowed to have an opinion on that?
        sigpic

Comment

Hey/ Ya all remember that story a few weeks back about that Cadet graduate from West point who was/is an avowed Commie?

Well, a former instructor at the academy has come out and wrote a letter TO the administration of WP, about lots of stuff.

http://americanmilitarynews.com/2017...edium=facebook

He goes over a LOT of things.. AND IF this is what our 'officer' corps is looking like going into the army, i FEAR for what will happen..

Comment

Not so fond of this...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/11/u...t-license.html
            WASHINGTON — President Trump threatened on Wednesday to use the federal government’s power to license television airwaves to target NBC in response to a report by the network’s news division that he contemplated a dramatic increase in the nation’s nuclear arsenal.
            Yes, I agree, the alphabet networks and most media in this country is heavily biased. But this idea is going over the line. As I've said over and over, let anyone say whatever they want, it's the audiences job to decide the value of what is being said or if they even want to listen to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
              Recall a few weeks back, I said the NFL would do something about it as soon as they realize it's affecting their profits? Like it or not, a lot of NFL fans consider the protests offensive, and are expressing their displeasure by not watching the games. You didn't think that would carry weight with the NFL owners?
              Yea no.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamhar.../#4601a7e34efc

Interestingly, later analysis showed that overall people were watching 5% more games. But they were watching less of each game. In other words, fans had become more casual about their viewership. People were watching less TV, watching less cable, and that included live sports. And those who stream games almost never streamed the entire game.
              According to Radio + Television Business Report (RBR.com) the age of live sports viewers is scewing older. Much older. Today the average NFL viewer is at least 50. Similar to tennis, and college basketball and football. That's second only to baseball at 57 - which was 50 as recently as 2000. But no sport is immune. NHL viewers are now typically 49. They were 33 in 2000. As simple arithmetic shows, the same folks are watching hockey but few new viewers are being attracted. Based on recent trends, Magna projects viewership for the Sochi Olympics and 2018 World Cup will both decline.
              To understand what's happening with NFL ratings we really don't have to look much further than simple demographics -- the aging of the U.S. population -- and the change in viewing behavior from older groups to younger groups.
              Hell, there's even a politifact article:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...-are-way-down/

NFL game attendance dropped slightly from 2016 to 2017, and rose from 2015 to 2016.

As for political motivation, there’s little evidence to suggest people are boycotting the NFL. Most of the professional sports franchises are dealing with declines in popularity.

We rate this claim Mostly False.
              Besides, dropping ratings have been a thing for all of TV, including Stargate. It took live sports a bit longer, but looks like that too can't escape the trend.

Comment

Well, of course politifact will claim false, they're somewhat biased to the left themselves, as a most of the "fact checkers".

I can point out and posted numerous articles stating that the politics is hurting the NFL audience size. I don't give a flying fig if some left wing site approves or disapproves of them. We shall see what plays out in real life.

Comment

Not so fond of this...

Yes, I agree, the alphabet networks and most media in this country is heavily biased. But this idea is going over the line. As I've said over and over, let anyone say whatever they want, it's the audiences job to decide the value of what is being said or if they even want to listen to it.
                  Have you worked out what he is yet?
                  That's -all- that matters.
                  sigpic

Comment

Well, of course politifact will claim false, they're somewhat biased to the left themselves, as a most of the "fact checkers".

I can point out and posted numerous articles stating that the politics is hurting the NFL audience size. I don't give a flying fig if some left wing site approves or disapproves of them. We shall see what plays out in real life.
                    What you can "point to" is a different interpretation of the data. I have no doubt that the protests -are- indeed hurting viewership, but that is not where it stops. It is hurting viewership -because- the viewership skews older, and older people are more inclined to be -conservative-. If I put a leftist political firebrand on FOX, or a right wing talkback radio station, consumption would decline as well, not because of the -politics- exactly, but because the particular brand of politics is viewed poorly in such mediums by the majority of the audience consuming it.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pookey View Post
                      Did the baker who refused service also own the business?
                      He does.

Does that make it any different?
                      So, I guess you approve of discrimination based on political/religious views then. Good to know.

Recall a few weeks back, I said the NFL would do something about it as soon as they realize it's affecting their profits? Like it or not, a lot of NFL fans consider the protests offensive, and are expressing their displeasure by not watching the games. You didn't think that would carry weight with the NFL owners?
                      Might have to bring it up that there's a precedent case of colleage students vs. their university where they won the freedom to sit during the national anthem.

Seeing as how Kaepernick was told by a veteran that kneeling is more respectful, the message is once again lost on Americans.
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                        He does.

Does that make it any different?
                        So, I guess you approve of discrimination based on political/religious views then. Good to know.
                        It does make it -different-, just only insofar as there is a difference between -owner- and -employee-.
                        To reverse the situation, IF an employee refused to serve an "XYZ" because of them being "XYZ" and the employer demanded that they should, does the employer have the right to fire? That silly bint who refused to hand out marriage licences to gay couples certainly got vilified for her actions, as did the cop who did not want to work the gay pride event. While those are both -government- examples, I know it does happen in the private sector as well.
                        You -must- apply the standard equally, and the standard here is not "right or wrong", but the ability of an employer to limit their employee actions while "on the clock", weather you or we agree on the action in question.
                        Might have to bring it up that there's a precedent case of colleage students vs. their university where they won the freedom to sit during the national anthem.
                        Colleges are not employers of students, you would have no legal parallel or precedent to draw
                        Seeing as how Kaepernick was told by a veteran that kneeling is more respectful, the message is once again lost on Americans.
                        This -is- your double standard, players/employee's can (or possibly be even forced) to represent causes that the employer finds tasteful -to them-, but denied the choice to represent causes that the employee finds tasteful.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                          That silly bint who refused to hand out marriage licences to gay couples certainly got vilified for her actions, as did the cop who did not want to work the gay pride event. While those are both -government- examples, I know it does happen in the private sector as well.
                          The difference is that the county clerk (or whatever) and the police officer were representing the govt. in their job functions, and as such they have to carry out the will of the govt. If the govt. is not allowed to discriminate, they can't impose their views because they are representing the govt.

Different ballgame entirely in the private sector.

Comment

The difference is that the county clerk (or whatever) and the police officer were representing the govt. in their job functions, and as such they have to carry out the will of the govt. If the govt. is not allowed to discriminate, they can't impose their views because they are representing the govt.

Different ballgame entirely in the private sector.
                            How do you continually manage to quote HALF of a post, and ignore the rest?
                            The "will of the government" SHOULD be the WILL of the people, not some of them, not the one you like, but ALL of them, and, like it or not, government will -always- come down to either the majority of the people, or the wishes of the leader.

The private sector -is not- a "different ballgame entirely", it merely has slightly different rules and answers to a different boss.

Let me ask you a question.
                            If "taking a knee is "bad for ratings", what do you think the ratings will be when entire teams don't show up?
                            The NFL is predominantly filled with African American athletes, owned by rich white guys who became rich white guys from NFL (gee, that sounds familiar somehow)
                            What if they all just refused to play?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                              How do you continually manage to quote HALF of a post, and ignore the rest?
                              The "will of the government" SHOULD be the WILL of the people, not some of them, not the one you like, but ALL of them, and, like it or not, government will -always- come down to either the majority of the people, or the wishes of the leader.

The private sector -is not- a "different ballgame entirely", it merely has slightly different rules and answers to a different boss.

Let me ask you a question.
                              If "taking a knee is "bad for ratings", what do you think the ratings will be when entire teams don't show up?
                              The NFL is predominantly filled with African American athletes, owned by rich white guys who became rich white guys from NFL (gee, that sounds familiar somehow)
                              What if they all just refused to play?
                              Then the rich white guys would simply find other people willing to play. It's that simple.
                              How can you not understand that its a privately owned business, and can do as it wishes ?

Comment

Not so fond of this...

IN a way i disagree.. I do feel there needs to be some punishment for the press consistently making up fake stories..
                                BUT I also agree, censoring them by denying them their FCC license, would set a bad precedent..

Comment

Working...
                                X