This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
    You're not getting it. It is the refusal to stand that is making the statement. It doesn't matter if they are kneeling, sitting or playing twister.
    then sitting or playing twister would still be more sensible

Comment

*kneels*

I do these things just to annoy Annoyed
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

kneel before me & hail me as your King - if you dare (this will annoy me greatly)

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
          kneel before me & hail me as your King - if you dare (this will annoy me greatly)
          ZOD!!.jpg
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
            I'll reply later but:

sigpic

Comment

k so can anyone actually explain once & for all how the f kneeling is a form of protest?
              Expected social response.
              not that hard really.
              sigpic

Comment

k so can anyone actually explain once & for all how the f kneeling is a form of protest?
                Your wish is my command! (And I'll probably come to regret saying that to you in 3-2-1...)

Here's a an article in a campus paper (so Annoyed and Garhkal won't read it) that explains it in a fairly good way:

The Narrative of Kneeling as a Form of Protest

kneeling is a sign of deference (you know, the opposite of defiance). I reckon all will agree unless social customs recently underwent a pole flip without my knowing
                An article in Scientific American: The Psychology of Taking a Knee

At first glance, research into emotion and nonverbal communication suggests that there is nothing threatening about kneeling. Instead, kneeling is almost always deployed as a sign of deference and respect. We once kneeled before kings and queens and altars; we kneel to ask someone to marry, or at least men did in the old days. We kneel to get down to a child's level; we kneel to beg.

[...] Kneeling can also be a posture of mourning and sadness. It makes the one who kneels more vulnerable. In some situations, kneeling can be seen as a request for protection—which is completely appropriate in Kaepernick’s case, given the motive of his protest.
                *now if the president were a cute silver-haired woman with a big intimidating dragon at her side I might make an exception**
                ** some of you will get the reference
                I'd be flat on the ground, long before she commanded it.

Standing during the National Anthem or Pledge of Allegiance is a longstanding tradition in this country. I can see refusing to do so as a legitimate expression of disapproval.
                Not really... you might want to look into that. First mention of anyone standing at all was allegedly a ceremony at Westpoint in 1891. I wouldn't exactly call that longstanding, especially since that was an isolated case at the time.
                And as far as standing for it in the NFL, that only goes back to 2009.

When did we begin standing for the National Anthem?

Interesting tidbit:

The Star-Spangled banner was not designated by the president as the national anthem until 1916, and not by Congress until 1931. The anthem was long favored by the military though.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  I apologize for assuming so.

I interpreted it wrong, I'm sorry.

Cold water, or a good knock on the nose (-- the latter could be for a shark, not entirely sure) -- for the dog, not the idiot who used his gun. He should pay the woman's recovery for inflicting accidental injury.
                  Thank you for the apology, and i think the woman died
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                    Expected social response.
                    not that hard really.
                    but the LSOS & his minions claim it's a form of disrespect

I'd stand & turn my back on them to tell them to "kiss my" that'd get a response all right

Your wish is my command! (And I'll probably come to regret saying that to you in 3-2-1...)
                    one day you'll be moulded into the docile creature I intended - and you'll thank me for it

(Geordi Laforge!!)

kneeling to show strength in humility? I say it just shows humility & the 2nd article basically agrees with that but then again maybe "american culture" lol

I'd be flat on the ground, long before she commanded it.
                    I actually thought of doing a vid but someone else beat me to it :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKfhOFaJOZo

Comment

Here's a an article in a campus paper (so Annoyed and Garhkal won't read it) that explains it in a fairly good way:

The Narrative of Kneeling as a Form of Protest
                      Who said I wouldn't read it? I found it hilarious. "Her Campus"?? How much respect would you have for a paper that called itself "His Campus" ?

Comment

but the LSOS & his minions claim it's a form of disrespect

I'd stand & turn my back on them to tell them to "kiss my" that'd get a response all right
                        sure you would turn your back??
                        sigpic

Comment

cause from my point of view it makes absolutely zero sense
                          c'mon I can't be the only one who thinks that
                          As a form of protest? sure i get why it's a form of protest. I don't get why it warrants the attention of the president, doesn't he have better things to do like golfing?

I mean, kneeling isn't exactly a form of disrespect in itself. If the NFL players wanted to show a middlefinger to america, show an actual middlefinger.

Comment

Originally posted by pookey View Post
                            ...and i think the woman died
                            Wait what?
                            That's involuntary manslaughter...

Who said I wouldn't read it? I found it hilarious. "Her Campus"?? How much respect would you have for a paper that called itself "His Campus" ?
                            It's about the article, not who's campus it is.
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

It's about the article, not who's campus it is.
                              But whoever is publishing something is part and parcel of how you evaluate whatever it is.

Just to ramp it up to demonstrate the principle, what if I posted an article published by something called KKK Times or the Anti-Woman gazette? How much credence would you give any article they published?

You have to consider the source.

Oh, and btw, to my surprise, it appears that the NFL owners, at least for now are going to allow the players to continue their protests. They did say they were going to revisit the issue in a few weeks, however.

Comment

But whoever is publishing something is part and parcel of how you evaluate whatever it is.

Just to ramp it up to demonstrate the principle, what if I posted an article published by something called KKK Times or the Anti-Woman gazette? How much credence would you give any article they published?

You have to consider the source.
                                Nope, and that's why you will always mess up.
                                You need to corroborate the -facts-.

Here, I'll help:
                                http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...lobalism-away/

You can corroborate the facts of the story, so this is actually passable as journalism, determining bias is critical thinking.

Of course, then you can read the comments section of Brietbart or Huffpo and see the level they are really pitching to...........
                                Last edited by Gatefan1976; 19 October 2017, 09:17 AM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X