X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    Notice how no one died over a flag?
    Exactly. There's no serious threat as long as he takes out his anger on a window. Best case scenario he gets tired and is easier to arrest. Worse case scenario, he's still as angry as before and literally nothing changes.

Comment

I wonder what standard policies in Amsterdam are regarding this sort of situation,
      how it compares with other similar events. To be honest, I'd expect the cops to intervene as soon as they can by at least communicating with the man. Are they armed police? Did they step in to interfere with the guys rage? Would they stand by like that if it was a person he was smacking? How about when he did struggle with that one man?
      By Nolamom
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
        Notice how no one died over a flag?
        Someone has to actually die for the police to stop a hate crime, or destruction of property?
        If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
          Here's an article with more than just the video -- and it doesn't look like those two officers aren't doing anything. They are, as far as I can tell, waiting for an opportune moment to arrest him. When he's banging on the window and door, he still has one hand free but when he walks out with the flag, both his hands are occupied and I think as an officer I like to keep the damage to my person to a minimum. They used pepperspray to put him down... and they did.
          So the Dutch police will not stop a crime in progress if the perp has at least one hand free and functional.

I suppose this is all we need to know about the current situation in Europe.

P.S. Note that due to the police inaction, the raging thug with a club was able to walk INTO the restaurant without the two policemen being able to stop him - because they kept a respectful distance from him the entire time. Had he assaulted someone inside, the cops would not have been able to prevent that.
          If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Personally, if there were people in that restaurant, the cops should have drawn weapons.
            By Nolamom
            sigpic

Comment

End of an era...

Belgium ends 19th-Century telegram service

One hundred and seventy-one years after the first electronic message was transmitted down a line running alongside the railway between Brussels and Antwerp the final dispatch will be sent and received on 29 December.

The fact that this 19th-Century technology is still up and running in the age of Instagram and Snapchat may seem rather odd - especially when you consider that the UK, which invented the telegram in the 1830s, abandoned it as long ago as 1982.

The United States followed suit in 2006 and even India, which had been by far the world's biggest market for the telegram, finally closed its system down in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                Someone has to actually die for the police to stop a hate crime, or destruction of property?
                You missed the point.
                sigpic
                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                  Personally, if there were people in that restaurant, the cops should have drawn weapons.
                  From what i can tell, there weren't. Although i'm not sure if they could get a safe shot off if there were a lot of people around.

I wonder what standard policies in Amsterdam are regarding this sort of situation
                  I don't know, but considering it's a popular tourist destination, i guess this isn't the first time they dealt with enraged (and possibly drunk) people bashing stuff in.

Uh no. If someone is threatening enough to warrant shooting, they'll shoot. Property is just property. Any injuries a cop would sustain from a bash to the head is more expensive than that window. Hell if they shot him and he survived and got medical attention, that would be more expensive than the window too.

So the Dutch police will not stop a crime in progress if the perp has at least one hand free and functional.
                  But they did stop a crime in progress. This isn't the US where they shoot everyone, even unarmed and complying citizens. Nobody got hurt. Nobody died. If the threat escalated then the response escalates. They arrested a man without shooting or getting shot. He seemed mostly angry at said window and said flag, so if that cools his rage it's all the better.
                  I suppose this is all we need to know about the current situation in Europe.
                  I'm sorry that the cops aren't equipped with military rifles, body armor and shoot everyone.

P.S. Note that due to the police inaction, the raging thug with a club was able to walk INTO the restaurant without the two policemen being able to stop him - because they kept a respectful distance from him the entire time. Had he assaulted someone inside, the cops would not have been able to prevent that.
                  You assume that there were people inside.

Comment

I don't know about Dutch Police, but in some parts of the U.K., the nutter with the baseball bat would be better armed than the Police, maybe said Police had no weapons and were waiting for armed response?

I know the original post was a thinly veiled 'if it was anything other than involving Israel the cops would have pounced instantly' trying to portray Israel as the victim again post, but frankly it wouldn't have made a difference if it was one of those infamous Amsterdam pot houses, there was a reason why the Police stood down, we just don't know what it was.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
                      I don't know about Dutch Police, but in some parts of the U.K., the nutter with the baseball bat would be better armed than the Police, maybe said Police had no weapons and were waiting for armed response?
                      Only the UK to my knowledge has non-gun police. Dutch police carry guns.

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
                      I know the original post was a thinly veiled 'if it was anything other than involving Israel the cops would have pounced instantly' trying to portray Israel as the victim again post, but frankly it wouldn't have made a difference if it was one of those infamous Amsterdam pot houses, there was a reason why the Police stood down, we just don't know what it was.
                      I don't even understand why we are discussing this. Angry man beats up window. Police arrests him. Big deal.

Comment

It wasn't even a fair fight, the window gave in immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                          Only the UK to my knowledge has non-gun police.
                          ? in UK they also carry guns (at least some of them & those cowards killed an unarmed civilian Harry Stanley & got away with it after a mock trial)

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                            ? in UK they also carry guns (at least some of them & those cowards killed an unarmed civilian Harry Stanley & got away with it after a mock trial)
                            Wasn't that suicide by cop?
                            By Nolamom
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                              I didn't mean that the UK only has unarmed cops. But they have Bobby's ( i think they were called that) who don't have firearms on them.

Comment

Wasn't that suicide by cop?
                                no basically someone called 911 saying they spotted a man with a rifle & it turned out the suspect didn't have a rifle or any weapon

iirc there was also another case where they shot a naked man & were acquitted (again not by jury)
                                both incidents happened under Tony Bliar

Comment

Working...
                                X