This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
    Although I obviously didn't see Aussie TV ads, we had our own variations on them.

Ummm wasn't that the idea? To discourage people from having random sex with random partners to slow the spread of an incurable fatal disease? I'd say the ads worked, at least in your case.
    Here's the ad:
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
      Ok, do you remember the old Grim reaper AIDS ads we had here in the 80's?
      That too created fear, it also virtually halted the aids epidemic spreading further out here as well.
      It -also- did not point out groups, and stuck to AIDS as the issue.
      Sometimes fear is not a bad thing, when the subject of the ad is pretty bloody scary.
      IF however, these ads were showing people doing the act, I would totally agree with you CoCo, the lesson would get lost in the blame and you end up fearing the person or the group, rather that the threat.
      Never saw those. This might require a trip to youtube!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
        Never saw those. This might require a trip to youtube!
        No need, posted for your convenience
        sigpic

Comment

Here's the ad:
          I rather like that ad. Too bad the ones that we had for the same purpose in our country didn't deliver the message in such strong fashion.

Comment

I rather like that ad. Too bad the ones that we had for the same purpose in our country didn't deliver the message in such strong fashion.
            Notice however that the "cure" was not "don't have sex", but "don't have unprotected casual sex"?
            Notice how it goes from "we thought it was a gay disease" (which it was basically considered in the 80's) to "it can affect anyone"
            This is why I like the other ad as well. It tells it's message, doesn't blame anyone specifically and makes people be aware of a real threat.
            Terrorism is real, and anyone could be a terrorist, not just the group your group happens to dislike.
            sigpic

Comment

I rather like that ad
              but they sort of ruined it at the end by putting multiple grim reapers (makes each of them look a lot less badass)

btw safety ads encouraging safe behaviour are one thing, Security ads encouraging citizens to rat each other out are another & are obviously much more controversial (this is reminiscent of Fahrenheit 451)

Comment

Notice however that the "cure" was not "don't have sex", but "don't have unprotected casual sex"?
                Notice how it goes from "we thought it was a gay disease" (which it was basically considered in the 80's) to "it can affect anyone"
                This is why I like the other ad as well. It tells it's message, doesn't blame anyone specifically and makes people be aware of a real threat.
                Terrorism is real, and anyone could be a terrorist, not just the group your group happens to dislike.
                That's not a problem. I dislike everybody.

Comment

No need, posted for your convenience
                  Thanks!

I like that about the ad.
                  sigpic

Comment

Integrity in reporting:

Shooting Survivor: CNN Gave Me "Scripted Question" After Denying Question About Armed Guards

Back to Videos
                    Shooting Survivor: CNN Gave Me "Scripted Question" After Denying Question About Armed Guards
                    Posted By Ian Schwartz
                    On Date February 22, 2018

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student Colton Haab said he was approached by CNN to ask a question at Wednesday night's town hall but decided not to after the network gave him a "scripted question," quashing one he wrote himself. Haab, a member of the Junior ROTC shielded students while the school was under attack from the shooter, said he was going to ask about using veterans as armed security guards.

"CNN had originally asked me to write a speech and questions and it ended up being all scripted," Haab told WPLG-TV.

CNN aired a town hall on the Florida school shooting with Sens. Marco Rubio (R-FL) and Bill Nelson (D-FL) that included NRA's Dana Loesch and Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel that was moderated by Jake Tapper. Students and parents asked questions about gun control and school safety.

"I expected to be able to ask my questions and give my opinion on my questions," Haab said.

"Colton Haab, a member of the Junior ROTC who shielded classmates in the midst of terror says he did not get to share his experience," WPLG's Janine Stanwood explained.

"Colton wrote questions about school safety, suggested using veterans as armed school security guards but claims CNN wanted him to ask a scripted question instead so he decided not to go," Stanwood reported.

"CNN had originally asked me to write a speech and questions and it ended up being all scripted," Haab said. "I don't think that it's going get anything accomplished. It's not gonna ask the true questions that all the parents and teachers and students have."

UPDATE: CNN released the following statement Thursday morning:

CNN did not, and does not, script any questions for town hall meetings, ever.
                    Of course, CNN denies it.

And you wonder why I place less faith in CNN than I do the National Enquirer. Oh, and aren't they one of the revered sources lefties use to "fact check"?

Comment

Integrity in reporting:

Of course, CNN denies it.

And you wonder why I place less faith in CNN than I do the National Enquirer. Oh, and aren't they one of the revered sources lefties use to "fact check"?
                      Did you watch the town hall?
                      You should, quite a few obviously unscripted questions were asked and answered.
                      As for fact checking, no, CNN is not a place you go to fact check, just a place where you get mostly facts with a left wing bias, -on the TV-. Fox news is where you go to get few facts with the main point being right wing bias -on the TV-.
                      Text wise, Fox news is much better at covering facts than it's TV counterpart, whereas text wise CNN is about the same in print as it is on TV.

Oh, and BTW, you should look at your source again, they just printed an update.
                      sigpic

Comment

Oh, and BTW, you should look at your source again, they just printed an update.
                        Just following a logical course here...it seems that when CNN wouldn't allow Haab to give his speech due to format restrictions, his father pulled him. Then a story was concocted about CNN giving him a script.
                        sigpic

Comment

Just following a logical course here...it seems that when CNN wouldn't allow Haab to give his speech due to format restrictions, his father pulled him. Then a story was concocted about CNN giving him a script.
                          That's -exactly- where I was going.
                          Should I start screaming fake news now, or later?
                          Cause guess what, That -particular- story has already been picked up by the loons already. (and this time, I don't mean annoyed)
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                            Hey Ozzies, I hear there's a Belgian immigrant leading Australia this week... ...is he turning your country into chocolate yet?
                            Better a river of chocolate that the river Barnaby Joyce would have left...........
                            sigpic

Comment

That's -exactly- where I was going.
                              Should I start screaming fake news now, or later?
                              Cause guess what, That -particular- story has already been picked up by the loons already. (and this time, I don't mean annoyed)
                              Yes, I haven't seen the story on any reputable national/international news sites. At least not when I checked earlier this morning.
                              sigpic

Comment

Well he did get an invite to a debate, not a speeching center.

Comment

Working...
                                X