Page 14 of 889 FirstFirst ... 4111213141516172464114514 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 17780
  1. #261
    Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    5,419

    Default Re: Discussion about hot topics trending today

    To show the further "moral decay" ( ) of society.

    Same sex marriage will be put to a plebiscite before, or just after the next federal election (next year) out here.
    If nothing changes, it will pass into law.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

  2. #262
    General Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    ...out there...
    Posts
    34,650

    Default Re: Discussion about hot topics trending today

    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    I don't donate to breast cancer orgs.. So am i boobphobic??
    Boobphobia -- one of the rarest phobias in existance, I imagine.

    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    (and yes that IS a counter argument i tried against one of those 2 groups. All THAT response got in return was a "You must hate women".)
    That's actually an odd response.

    I'd probably reply with, "mustn't have had any family member or friend suffer from it", which is usually the way such donations start.

    [cue my donations to the Michael J Fox Foundation - before my mother's run in with Parkinson's I would probably never have considered them)
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 8 of SG-1

  3. #263
    Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    5,419

    Default Re: Discussion about hot topics trending today

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Boobphobia -- one of the rarest phobias in existance, I imagine.



    That's actually an odd response.

    I'd probably reply with, "mustn't have had any family member or friend suffer from it", which is usually the way such donations start.

    [cue my donations to the Michael J Fox Foundation - before my mother's run in with Parkinson's I would probably never have considered them)
    Oh, I have got that response from all girl groups of people looking for donations, but I sometimes wonder if that is because they think I'm Homophobic, or because they are all girls. I must admit I have far more........... misunderstandings with gays of the female designation than I do with male. I am far less tolerant of "militant" anything than a good argument.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

  4. #264
    General Falcon Horus's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    ...out there...
    Posts
    34,650

    Default Re: Discussion about hot topics trending today

    I freely admit that I have believe in a cause, or I'm not donating my precious money to it.

    Parkinson's is personal. ALS too, but I didn't empty a bucket of ice over my head cause that won't help the people suffering from it.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 8 of SG-1

  5. #265
    Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    5,419

    Default Re: Discussion about hot topics trending today

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    I freely admit that I have believe in a cause, or I'm not donating my precious money to it.

    Parkinson's is personal. ALS too, but I didn't empty a bucket of ice over my head cause that won't help the people suffering from it.
    The Ice bucket Challenge was great for awareness, and if you did it in such a way to get sponsors to pay to see you do it, it could raise some money. One of my old customers who I got along great with had hair he had been growing for 20 years, and as part of the "shave for a cure" organization, he shaved his head and beard and raised over 30 grand!!
    It can be done, but you have to think ahead.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

  6. #266
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,766

    Default Re: Discussion about hot topics trending today

    Wait a minute now, I thought the law was supposed to be gender blind.

    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/08/21...?intcmp=hplnws

    GEORGETOWN, Del. – Former Baltimore Ravens cheerleader Molly Shattuck was sentenced Friday to two years of probation after pleading guilty to raping a 15-year-old boy at a vacation rental home in Delaware.
    Yes, I know. That 15 year old was probably grinning from ear to ear after the "rape" had concluded, never mind the fact that it's impossible to rape a male as far as conventional sex goes.

    But under the fictional concept of gender equality, the courts aren't supposed to consider gender differences.

    Switch the genders. Suppose a football player with the Ravens had pulled this with a 15 year old girl. I'm willing to bet he would have gotten more than two years of probation.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  7. #267
    Air Force Chief of Staff Britta's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    37,960

    Default Re: Discussion about hot topics trending today

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    never mind the fact that it's impossible to rape a male as far as conventional sex goes.
    I beg your unbelievable pardon? You make two faulty assertions.

    1. There are no women that any given man does not want to have sex with.
    2. No woman can ever overpower a man. Ever.

    Seriously? Seriously!

    "BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

  8. #268
    Harvey jelgate's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter
    Posts
    36,963

    Default Re: Discussion about hot topics trending today

    He does have a point about the sexes were reversed. Their is a gender inequality in the courts that favor women
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

  9. #269
    Air Force Chief of Staff Britta's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    37,960

    Default Re: Discussion about hot topics trending today

    That much is true. There is a disgusting sentencing inequality here.

    "BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

  10. #270
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,766

    Default Re: Discussion about hot topics trending today

    Quote Originally Posted by Britta View Post
    I beg your unbelievable pardon? You make two faulty assertions.

    1. There are no women that any given man does not want to have sex with.
    2. No woman can ever overpower a man. Ever.

    Seriously? Seriously!
    It's not a matter of overpowering. If your heart's not in it, your heart's not in it. Not quite so much bloodflow, either. If you get my meaning.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  11. #271
    Air Force Chief of Staff Britta's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    37,960

    Default Re: Discussion about hot topics trending today

    Oh yes, because the conscious mind exerts absolute control over the body.

    "BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

  12. #272
    Harvey jelgate's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter
    Posts
    36,963

    Default Re: Discussion about hot topics trending today

    Quote Originally Posted by Britta View Post
    Oh yes, because the conscious mind exerts absolute control over the body.
    No it doesn't
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

  13. #273
    Air Force Chief of Staff Britta's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    37,960

    Default Re: Discussion about hot topics trending today

    Are your sarcasm detectors on the fritz again?

    "BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

  14. #274
    Harvey jelgate's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter
    Posts
    36,963

    Default Re: Discussion about hot topics trending today

    Quote Originally Posted by Britta View Post
    Are your sarcasm detectors on the fritz again?
    It was more fun my way
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

  15. #275
    Major Annoyed's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of New York
    Posts
    2,766

    Default Re: Discussion about hot topics trending today

    Quote Originally Posted by Britta View Post
    Oh yes, because the conscious mind exerts absolute control over the body.
    It does? Isn't it possible for a man to be rendered impotent by psychological factors? Fear, anger, or something else? His conscious mind has nothing to do with that.

    I'm just saying that if a man isn't interested, the flesh is unwilling.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

  16. #276
    Air Force Chief of Staff Britta's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    37,960

    Default Re: Discussion about hot topics trending today

    Regardless, in this case it doesn't matter if he's willing. He's not of age to give consent.

    "BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

  17. #277
    Major General aretood2's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Contemplating the meaning of Logic
    Posts
    10,202

    Default Re: Discussion about hot topics trending today

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    It does? Isn't it possible for a man to be rendered impotent by psychological factors? Fear, anger, or something else? His conscious mind has nothing to do with that.

    I'm just saying that if a man isn't interested, the flesh is unwilling.
    Strictly speaking in terms of biology, an erection is simply a reflex. You can no more prevent it than preventing the doctor from making you kick your leg when he tests your reflexes. A perfectly straight man would still get an erection if another man...physically provokes it by force. That is just a scientific fact. I mean, think about the countless times you stand up only to find that you have a random unprovoked erection.

    Then there are also artificial means to create an erection...Viagra anyone?

    The point is that any sex not consented to, no matter how much the victim "enjoys" it, is rape. Rape is rape is rape is rape. If it is not welcomed, it is rape. If consent can't be given, it is rape. If consent is lost in the middle of it and the act isn't aborted, it too is rape. If a married individual does it to their spouse, that too is rape. And yes, sentencing is unequal between men and women across the board, not just in cases of rape or sexual crimes in general.

    Rape is about whether or not consent is given, not whether or not the victim "enjoyed" it.

  18. #278
    Major General
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,249

    Default Re: Discussion about hot topics trending today

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    So, Someone accusing you of something you were not, and attempting to denigrate you made you pissed off.
    Right?
    Welcome to how a Gay person feels.
    How is that the same thing though? But i will give you its a good counter!


    Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    That they have their own beliefs, thier own values, and the deserve to be celebrated just as much as any other group as well. That despite any minor differences in colour, ethnicity, sexuality etc, they are the SAME as us, just not "clones".
    Then why are not all the European immigrants having "their beliefs/values etc celebrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    I'm not asking them to not have feelings, I am asking them to understand the difference between private life and public life. In public life, we deal with people we may or may not agree with all the time, in any job we may work in, and sometimes we need to reign our private feeling in.
    How can someone reign in their feelings/separate them? As i said before, you can't just stop being a Christian/Catholic at work..

    Also, can you answer why it seems these 'gay marriage vs baker/florists' issues, ONLY seem to be targeted (and yes to me they do seem targeted) towards Christianity, and not any of the other religions that also feel Homosexuality is wrong (like Islam)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Boobphobia -- one of the rarest phobias in existance, I imagine.



    That's actually an odd response.
    In a discussion i had at Origins (a game fair here in Columbus) while awaiting for "will call" to open up with a pair of ladies behind me in line, the discussion started with volunteer work (one of them had a green volunteer shirt on), and then morphed into which 'charties' i supported both with time and money.
    When i mentioned that breast cancer situation, they were as dumbfounded as you seem to be (and i was), though both also note a lot of men seem to ONLY support breast cancer orgs, cause of either a wife/sis or other family member suffering.
    So far (Luckily) i have not had that come up. But one thing that has irked me off about some i looked into (back during our command's Combined federal campaign when i was in Guam), is it seems several breast cancer orgs seem to focus ONLY on female breast cancer research, or put the vast majority of their funds/time to ladies, even though guys also can get it.
    Heck i remember one org even having on it's home page "while we acknowledge men can also get breast cancer, we are only concerned with women suffering this disease".
    Made me do a double take..

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Wait a minute now, I thought the law was supposed to be gender blind.

    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/08/21...?intcmp=hplnws



    Yes, I know. That 15 year old was probably grinning from ear to ear after the "rape" had concluded, never mind the fact that it's impossible to rape a male as far as conventional sex goes.

    But under the fictional concept of gender equality, the courts aren't supposed to consider gender differences.

    Switch the genders. Suppose a football player with the Ravens had pulled this with a 15 year old girl. I'm willing to bet he would have gotten more than two years of probation.
    Over on the Military times forums we are having a (somewhat heated) argument about that case (and others that have been similar to it) where people seem to think, cause it was a 15 yr old guy who was 'raped' its all ok, he wanted it/loved it etc..
    Where me and a few others are feeling that it shouldn't matter the respective sexes. If one is underage, the overage one should get 'smacked'.

    Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    It's not a matter of overpowering. If your heart's not in it, your heart's not in it. Not quite so much bloodflow, either. If you get my meaning.
    Sorry, but i have several times now, had woodies while passed out from drinking. Also during one of my ERT medical training classes, one of the ways we were told to 'check if a guy broke their back' is to check if they had an erection. So 'being willing/having your heart in it' is definitely not required.

    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Strictly speaking in terms of biology, an erection is simply a reflex. You can no more prevent it than preventing the doctor from making you kick your leg when he tests your reflexes. A perfectly straight man would still get an erection if another man...physically provokes it by force. That is just a scientific fact. I mean, think about the countless times you stand up only to find that you have a random unprovoked erection.

    Then there are also artificial means to create an erection...Viagra anyone?

    The point is that any sex not consented to, no matter how much the victim "enjoys" it, is rape. Rape is rape is rape is rape. If it is not welcomed, it is rape. If consent can't be given, it is rape. If consent is lost in the middle of it and the act isn't aborted, it too is rape. If a married individual does it to their spouse, that too is rape. And yes, sentencing is unequal between men and women across the board, not just in cases of rape or sexual crimes in general.

    Rape is about whether or not consent is given, not whether or not the victim "enjoyed" it.
    Well said R2!

  19. #279
    Colonel Gatefan1976's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Smashing skulls!!
    Posts
    5,419

    Default Re: Discussion about hot topics trending today

    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    How is that the same thing though? But i will give you its a good counter!
    You are being judged on an unfounded preconception. If you are called a homophobe, just because you say no, it is they forming the preconception, If you feel that gays are "bad", you too are acting on a unfounded perception.
    It's either ignorance, or wilful aggression, take your pick.

    Then why are not all the European immigrants having "their beliefs/values etc celebrated?
    Huh?
    Like who?

    How can someone reign in their feelings/separate them? As i said before, you can't just stop being a Christian/Catholic at work..
    Easy. Do you call your boss a knob when they do something knobish, or do you just hold your tongue?
    Do you stick your head out of the car, risk an accident to yell at the knob who cut you off all the time when you dive?
    What you are talking about is impulse control. and seriously, if you don't have any, you should see a shrink, because that's a sign of sociopathic behaviour.
    I am not saying you don't have to feel a certain way, I am telling you however that you might need to grow up a bit and join the rest of the people in the world who have the ability to do something they should have learned as a kid.

    Also, can you answer why it seems these 'gay marriage vs baker/florists' issues, ONLY seem to be targeted (and yes to me they do seem targeted) towards Christianity, and not any of the other religions that also feel Homosexuality is wrong (like Islam)?
    Are you kidding me?
    It's the Christians who are kicking up the fuss, they are -putting- themselves into the firing line! It's like slapping someone and asking what you did wrong.
    As for Muslims, those who -do- act the same way are probably being judged a lot harsher for being far worse things than being bigots.
    If you want a "belief focussed" argument, consider this.
    I want a hamburger with the lot, I pass the Muslim and the Jewish hamburger store, cause I want bacon on my burger dammit!!. I pass them because due to their beliefs, they don't stock bacon. If I don't want bacon however, I can go to them fine. The "Christian florist or bakery" is not being asked to stock some ingredient that they don't have as a matter of course, they are -choosing- to discriminate based on someone else's sexuality by not selling them something they make anyway.

    In a discussion i had at Origins (a game fair here in Columbus) while awaiting for "will call" to open up with a pair of ladies behind me in line, the discussion started with volunteer work (one of them had a green volunteer shirt on), and then morphed into which 'charties' i supported both with time and money.
    When i mentioned that breast cancer situation, they were as dumbfounded as you seem to be (and i was), though both also note a lot of men seem to ONLY support breast cancer orgs, cause of either a wife/sis or other family member suffering.
    People only tend to care about things if they are either humanized, or affect them directly, I don't know why this is suprising to anyone.

    So far (Luckily) i have not had that come up. But one thing that has irked me off about some i looked into (back during our command's Combined federal campaign when i was in Guam), is it seems several breast cancer orgs seem to focus ONLY on female breast cancer research, or put the vast majority of their funds/time to ladies, even though guys also can get it.
    Heck i remember one org even having on it's home page "while we acknowledge men can also get breast cancer, we are only concerned with women suffering this disease".
    Made me do a double take..
    This is the difference between organizations and corporation/businesses dude. Organizations exist to support a cause, and that is fine. It's not like they lied to you at any point to get your money is it?

    Over on the Military times forums we are having a (somewhat heated) argument about that case (and others that have been similar to it) where people seem to think, cause it was a 15 yr old guy who was 'raped' its all ok, he wanted it/loved it etc..
    Where me and a few others are feeling that it shouldn't matter the respective sexes. If one is underage, the overage one should get 'smacked'.
    That's equality speaking, but if you want to speak to equality, you have to apply it........... equally and blindly.

    Sorry, but i have several times now, had woodies while passed out from drinking. Also during one of my ERT medical training classes, one of the ways we were told to 'check if a guy broke their back' is to check if they had an erection. So 'being willing/having your heart in it' is definitely not required.
    Biology 101 pass!!
    To think that a person, let alone a "just a woman you are attracted to" can give you wood is either troll bait, or just ignorance on a level lower than most high school kids. A women being raped can get "wet" for crying out loud, doesn't mean she likes being raped, but hell, it has been used in rape defence cases.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

  20. #280
    Major General
    Member Since
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Corner of No and Where
    Posts
    13,892

    Default Re: Discussion about hot topics trending today

    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post

    Then why are not all the European immigrants having "their beliefs/values etc celebrated?
    The European immigrants, if they follow a religion, are most likely some variation of the Christian faith. Their beliefs and values are the same as yours. They are being celebrated.

Page 14 of 889 FirstFirst ... 4111213141516172464114514 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Similar Threads

  1. A Discussion/Debate on Religion & Other Closely Related Topics
    By lordofseas in forum Off-Topic Chatter
    Replies: 2301
    Last Post: January 19th, 2018, 10:52 AM
  2. #dGeek & #HappyBDayDavidHewlett on the Trending Topics of Twitter !
    By Fanny-Wan Kenobi in forum Stargate Fandom
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 18th, 2010, 04:31 AM
  3. BSG brings up some interesting topics...
    By Tempis in forum Battlestar Galactica
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: February 20th, 2006, 06:26 AM
  4. Discussion I have had at work today about starships!
    By GuardianKentel in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: March 25th, 2005, 09:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •