Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So far, what do you think about DM? (SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IIRC they showed the crew stumbling across the vault in episode 1 when the crew is spending their time exploring the ship.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by ecgordon View Post
      Since all of the first season has probably already been completed, that won't help unless it gets renewed.
      I had assumed as much.

I'm hoping that it is the plan for the rest of Season 1 that the crew will actually fly and fire the ship's weapons by themselves. Having the ship automated and Android doing everything doesn't really suit the the nature of the of the show.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        IIRC they showed the crew stumbling across the vault in episode 1 when the crew is spending their time exploring the ship.

And didn't that scene make a big deal about the sealed door - I thought that was the reason why Three came back later and tried to break in.

I got the the episode free on iTunes - I'll check it tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by I Am Not James Spader View Post
          Also, I think there has been a big continuity error. In Episode 5, Five brings the crew to the hold to show them the vault and they all act as though they haven't seen it before but weren't they all in the hold in Episode 1? Isn't that where they found the weapons crates?
          Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          I had assumed as much.

I'm hoping that it is the plan for the rest of Season 1 that the crew will actually fly and fire the ship's weapons by themselves. Having the ship automated and Android doing everything doesn't really suit the the nature of the of the show.
          And didn't that scene make a big deal about the sealed door - I thought that was the reason why Three came back later and tried to break in.

I got the the episode free on iTunes - I'll check it tomorrow
          The scene from episode one was in a different part of the ship from the big door. It is a very large ship and the crew hasn't explored much of it. The big door is somewhere in the lower levels of the ship. THREE was exploring on his own when he found it. He later showed it to FOUR. FIVE knew about the door from her dreams, which turned out to be memories of the rest of the crew crammed in her head. She told SIX that the door existed and there were secrets behind it, but she didn't tell anyone where to find it until episode five when she brought the entire crew down to see it. No continuity errors as far as I can see.

Comment

I'm watching the show and liking it so far. I love Stargate SG-1 and the work Mallozzi and Mullie did on the show. I enjoy seeing the influences from their past in this show.

I wouldn't put my interest in the category of just love to death, but it intrigues me. I find myself rewatching the episodes during the week and looking forward to the next one. That is a good sign.

I know the nature of the show encourages audiences to speculate, but I don't feel compelled to come up with any grand theories. I prefer to watch closely and gather all the facts. There is still much more to learn at this point and I'm on board for the ride.

Comment

When I found out who was involved in running the show I amost didn't watch it. The only reason I gave it a chance was because Zoie Palmer was in it. It's average but I'll keep watching for the time being. I can't stand one though. God he is annoying the way he tries to run after Two. Really hope the keep romance to a bare minimum in the show. What I mean by bare minimum is virtually undetectable.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                When I found out who was involved in running the show I amost didn't watch it. The only reason I gave it a chance was because Zoie Palmer was in it. It's average but I'll keep watching for the time being. I can't stand one though. God he is annoying the way he tries to run after Two. Really hope the keep romance to a bare minimum in the show. What I mean by bare minimum is virtually undetectable.
                Not a really a fan of One either, he's pretty bland right now. I'm kind of hoping he's actually a really bad guy (like maybe he's the one who killed Five's friends; probably not though) and that he remembers his past and is faking being the nice guy (or he ends up remembering his past and starts acting like a bad guy). At least that would make him more interesting to me, and hopefully that would stop a romance between him and Two. When One and Two woke up they were fighting for control of the ship, maybe that scene was put there for more than just trying to start to play up the whole sexual tension thing between the two.

I really like the show though (more and more as the season goes on).
                sigpic

Comment

A few thoughts:

I like the show. I'm intrigued by the concept, and am really glad to see a ship-based drama on the air. I think that remaining identified as numbers rather than the names they've discovered solidifies the notion that a person can always choose who they are ultimately going to be. It's the beautiful theory of self-destiny. I don't think that we will get the full story of who each of these people really are for a while, and in the meantime, their characters are going to change so much that who they were might be virtually unrecognizable from who they are becoming (if that makes any sense).

As for cheesy special effects, it all boils down to money, doesn't it? They do the best they can until the show starts being profitable, and then things will start to improve. I cringe when I watch the first two or three seasons of SG-1, but then things started to improve as they got into a groove and found their stride. The custom these days of dismissing shows out of hand because they don't look like big budget films is a little sad. That's how we lose a LOT of shows that could have become great.

I'm liking Dark Matter a lot. I'm intrigued to find out where it goes, and am hoping that the network is patient enough to let that happen.
                  sigpic
                  My Stories: FFdotNet
                  My Stories AO3
                  Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Looking forward to tonight's episode.

Are you me? This was my exact reaction, except that I didn't know who Zoie Palmer was. She plays my favorite character, though. I was warned away from the show because of the people behind it, but I figured I could go in with low enough expectations, and I came out pleasantly surprised for the most part.

But yeah, the One/Two/Three love triangle needs to go. I'm a little concerned, based on how pairings were handled and presented in SG-1 and SGA, about having One/Two shoved in my face when I just don't see any reason for them to get together. I mean, Two/Three having a fling off-screen was fine because that was in the background, and Two and Three didn't go around moping after that, but this relationship drama already happening when the crew members barely know one another just feels cliché. Why is One pining after Two when neither of them know who they really are themselves, let alone each other?

As for cheesy special effects, it all boils down to money, doesn't it? They do the best they can until the show starts being profitable, and then things will start to improve. I cringe when I watch the first two or three seasons of SG-1, but then things started to improve as they got into a groove and found their stride. The custom these days of dismissing shows out of hand because they don't look like big budget films is a little sad. That's how we lose a LOT of shows that could have become great.
                    I must not be well-versed in today's sci-fi movies and tv at all because the special effects on DM haven't really stood out to me in a good or a bad way. It kind of looks normal to me. I mean, Killjoys looks good to me, too, but I figure that there are more environments to show in that show's universe than what we've been able to see in DM's.
                    rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

TV Sci-Fi doesnt HAVE to look cheesy because of the budget. The FTL effects from stargate to andromeda to BSG were low budget and they looked great.

I didn't really like the first few eps, but its getting better....And lets face it, ANY SciFi is better then no SciFi or worse Syfy!

Comment

Just wanna say, I'm a stargate fan, really liked SG-U, am only on episode 6 of Dark Matter, and this is a great show, but please don't screw it up.

Was surprised about the love triangle, they are generally bad, shippers are too enthusiastic, and I wouldn't go there, but am interested to see how it might play out.

The biggest issue is if they use the audience not knowing this/these world(s) for plot movement, because that's lame and so 10 years ago.

Some shows that started off good but are terrible as a whole: Battlestar Galactica, LOST, The 4400, Roswell, Heroes, Dark Angel

Be ambitious, but don't get caught up in time-travel, nanites, or monster/mutant/job of the week.

Write your chapters, books, bibles now and go for shorter seasons and try to get a 2 season deal renewal to bring in the viewers.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                          The scene from episode one was in a different part of the ship from the big door. It is a very large ship and the crew hasn't explored much of it. The big door is somewhere in the lower levels of the ship. THREE was exploring on his own when he found it. He later showed it to FOUR. FIVE knew about the door from her dreams, which turned out to be memories of the rest of the crew crammed in her head. She told SIX that the door existed and there were secrets behind it, but she didn't tell anyone where to find it until episode five when she brought the entire crew down to see it. No continuity errors as far as I can see.
                          So they weapons and the locker where Four found the puzzle box was a different cargo hold? (I didn't have time to rematch any of it )

Comment

I'm enjoying the show, but I do agree that One is the weakest on the show. Very uninteresting character and I simply don't care what his backstory is going to be. The real Corso is too much of a pantomime character too.

As far as I can see his only real purpose is to be a target for Three's wit.

As I said earlier Android does too much on the ship and the rest are simply passengers. At the very least, Six should start flying the ship and Five should be the mechanic. I'm hoping that as the memories start coming back, so will their shipboard duties.

There would still be plenty for Android to do, and the writer's would be free to explore other aspect of her character.

Comment

So they weapons and the locker where Four found the puzzle box was a different cargo hold? (I didn't have time to rematch any of it )
                              Indeed.

At the very beginning, they stumbled in a cargo hold with crates of weapons, clothes, etc. They thought they had enough to make money.

Now they've unlocked the 'mystery' cargo hold. They found weapons, money, other goodies and think they have enough to be fine.

I bloody hope we're not gonna see that pattern repeat anymore. And I still don't get why this cargo hold was locked while the crates with weapons they found in the pilot weren't.

Comment

Originally posted by TOIVA View Post
                                ...And I still don't get why this cargo hold was locked while the crates with weapons they found in the pilot weren't.
                                I think that they will find something interesting in locked chests - that is why this cargo was extra closed.

Comment

Working...
                                X