Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So far, what do you think about DM? (SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have watched the first 2 eps and I liked it I don't have cable but I can watch on Amazon going to get the season pass when I get my check I felt it is kinda like little Firefly and a little Andromeda but just elements and loosely characters wise now I have to change sigs and fb cover, twitter header to include it and KillJoys oh the problems of a sci-fi & fantasy geeky fangirl
    sigpic
    My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
    poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

I'm liking this show more and more so I'll stick with it.
      Still, IMO, it's no Stargate, or Star Trek.
      My favorite show on Syfy right now is 12 Monkeys.

Comment

So far I'm really liking it. The story is quite intriguing, the characters are growing on me, and even though the dialogs can be a bit wonky at times, I generally enjoy the writing. Quite frankly I'm puzzled by the mediocre reception the show's earned so far. I'm really looking forward to seeing the rest of the season.

Comment

I´m enjoying the show and will continue to watch. It sometimes takes time for a series to hit its stride and I remember that I thought Stargate SG-1 started poorly and I almost stopped watching it. Hopefully Dark Matter will also improve as it goes along.

Comment

Coming from my previous post, it's getting better. Very slowly, but steadily.

It seems like I was correct. As long as they introduce more outside elements, I'll enjoy the show more (still not quite in love with the main characters).

Comment

I'm going to give it a chance. I've watched a couple of more episodes. It is a little better. There are still some things that bother me about it. I do find the banter between one and three funny. I haven't found much to like in the characters yet. I find Killjoys to be better. There seems to be more character development. We'll see.

Comment

I'm really enjoying this show.

Very interesting concept, enjoyable characters.

One problem though - the human characters are passengers on the Raza, not the crew. They don't have any responsibilities on the ship.

Android is the pilot, mechanic, scientist, doctor, etc. and even she doesn't push any buttons or turn any dials. At the very least, the ship should need the human characters. Having the ship fully automated is boring.

Six and Two should share the helm, Five should, at the very least, assist Android with repairs and the other three should take control of weapons in a battle. I know their memories are mushed, but still ....

Does anyone have the creators on social media? Tell them this is vital and needs to be fixed.

EDIT: Although the costumes need a bit more colour. Enough of black outfits in sic-fi and fantasy already.
                Last edited by I Am Not James Spader; 19 July 2015, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by d.jackson View Post
                  I'm going to give it a chance. I've watched a couple of more episodes. It is a little better. There are still some things that bother me about it. I do find the banter between one and three funny. I haven't found much to like in the characters yet. I find Killjoys to be better. There seems to be more character development. We'll see.
                  I've only seen the first episode of Killjoys. I enjoyed it and want to see more, but I thought it was only okay.

Dark Matter on the other hand is great stuff.

Originally posted by reyalicea View Post
                  Already loving this show! I cannot stand all the rest of SYFYs current pretentious crap shows. More of this please!!
                  What shows on SyFy are "pretentious"?
                  Last edited by I Am Not James Spader; 19 July 2015, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by I Am Not James Spader View Post
                    I'm really enjoying this show.

Very interesting concept, enjoyable characters.

One problem though - the human characters are passengers on the Raza, not the crew. They don't have any responsibilities on the ship.

Android is the pilot, mechanic, scientist, doctor, etc. and even she doesn't push any buttons or turn any dials. At the very least, the ship should need the human characters. Having the ship fully automated is boring.

Six and Two should share the helm, Five should, at the very least, assist Android with repairs and the other three should take control of weapons in a battle. I know their memories are mushed, but still ....

Does anyone have the creators on social media? Tell them this is vital and needs to be fixed.

EDIT: Although the costumes need a bit more colour. Enough of black outfits in sic-fi and fantasy already.
                    Great point about the characters doing nothing. I haven't really thought about it in that way yet, but you're entirely correct.

I'm still annoyed 'the crew of the Raza' hasn't even searched the ship. They've got a locked compartment they seemingly aren't even trying to open (they've tried to remember the code and shoot the door, don't tell me those are the only options).
                    And they spend days traveling doing absolutely nothing, barring maybe Two that surveys the efficiency of their engines.

The whole of Dark Matter remonds me of the Atlantis episode 'Tabula Rasa' in this sort of a dreamy reality where noone knows what's going on and who they are. But that Atlantis episode has suspense. I was curious to know what happened and how it will be fixed. I was anxious for the characters.
                    But now in Dark Matter, it's all lasted 6 weeks. All the suspense there was is long gone. I want the characters to be doing something, at least trying something. That way I may come to like them eventually.

Come to think of it, that's what the episodes 4 and 5 were. The whole crew was doing stuff. And those were the episodes that were interesting for me.

Comment

What shows on SyFy are "pretentious"?
                      All of them

Comment

Originally posted by pakar View Post
                        All of them
                        Except for 12 Monkeys, imo.

Comment

Since all of the first season has probably already been completed, that won't help unless it gets renewed.

Comment

Originally posted by ecgordon View Post
                            Since all of the first season has probably already been completed, that won't help unless it gets renewed.
                            And outlines are ready for at least the beginning of next season, should it happen.

See Joseph Mallozzi's blog for all things Dark Matter (he's the creator of it, along with his 'writing partner' Paul Mullie).

Comment

Originally posted by TOIVA View Post
                              Great point about the characters doing nothing. I haven't really thought about it in that way yet, but you're entirely correct.

I'm still annoyed 'the crew of the Raza' hasn't even searched the ship. They've got a locked compartment they seemingly aren't even trying to open (they've tried to remember the code and shoot the door, don't tell me those are the only options).
                              And they spend days traveling doing absolutely nothing, barring maybe Two that surveys the efficiency of their engines.

The whole of Dark Matter remonds me of the Atlantis episode 'Tabula Rasa' in this sort of a dreamy reality where noone knows what's going on and who they are. But that Atlantis episode has suspense. I was curious to know what happened and how it will be fixed. I was anxious for the characters.
                              But now in Dark Matter, it's all lasted 6 weeks. All the suspense there was is long gone. I want the characters to be doing something, at least trying something. That way I may come to like them eventually.

Come to think of it, that's what the episodes 4 and 5 were. The whole crew was doing stuff. And those were the episodes that were interesting for me.
                              Yes, the crew not exploring their own ship bugs me too** but for episodic TV it is understandable. Sometimes in storytelling, the characters can't behave like people in real life would or else all the story lines would happen at once. It is the same with Haven (only on Season 3 no spoilers please) - there is no way a real life person would spend all those months in trying to unravel the mystery and allow Vince & Dave to get away with keeping so many secrets, but in order to keep the story going that is the way it has to be.

Regarding the vault, three of the characters have tried to access the vault since the show started. And I don't think that there is a week between all the episodes, unless it has been specified in Episode 6 that 6 weeks have passed.

Also, I think there has been a big continuity error. In Episode 5, Five brings the crew to the hold to show them the vault and they all act as though they haven't seen it before but weren't they all in the hold in Episode 1? Isn't that where they found the weapons crates?

Comment

Originally posted by pakar View Post
                                All of them
                                Trying to give the impression that they are important when they are not. Pompous and high falutin'.

Can't say that I've seen these shows on SyFy.

Comment

Working...
                                X