Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So far, what do you think about DM? (SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So far.. I think it has the darkness of SGU (seriously someone find the lightswitch ) the plots of Firefly and all the personality of a boiled potato..

It might get better as it goes on.. But if it gets cancelled I don't think it would matter to me at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
      ...and all the personality of a boiled potato.
      That's an insult to boiled potatoes.

Comment

I just got caught up on the series and I've quite enjoyed it. Perhaps it's because I've been evaluating it entirely on it's own strengths, rather than comparing it to other shows. That being said I've always been better at compartmentalizing those sort of things.

It's the same with in-universe vs. production. Of course it's going to have relatively low budget in the first season. As for the effects, there are always bound to be people who don't like them. Cheapness just allows these people to categorise their dislike as objective rather than subjective. Or maybe I just don't notice as much. I guess I just like liking things.

That being said I did start watching Dark Matter after being annoyed at people constantly comparing it to Killjoys just because they started together.

Something I will agree with is that One is rather bland at the moment, but that doesn't really bother me because I don't feel that I am particularly expected to feel otherwise. Maybe the character is supposed to be relatively simple, rather than concluding that he is a failed attempt at a complicated character. I do like that he isn't really who he can't remember supposedly being (and how many people get to say that?)

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

I like it so far, but yeah the effects can be distracting sometimes, and I wish they would just find a way to get there memories back but that probably won't happen until the end of the season

and all the personality of a boiled potato..
          Spoiler:

Last Movie Watched
          X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
          Life is Strange

Comment

I am really enjoying it I enjoy the characters and the story the on going story is very cool
            sigpic
            My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
            poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

That being said I did start watching Dark Matter after being annoyed at people constantly comparing it to Killjoys just because they started together.
              Frankly it was hard not to compare. After years Syfy gets back to space. With two shows at the same time. But that's not the only common point. Both shows are basically about bounty hunters on a spaceship. Both are supposed to be mostly about the characters, with serious themes but also some fun. And both were a lot reminiscent of Firefly at one time or another. (Didn't help that both had their 5th episodes salvaging a supposedly deserted freigher. If Defiance weren't afforded a double episode premiere, those two 'space freighter' episodes would be running back to back.)

The main difference I see is Dark Matter is trying to take itself more seriously. And for me, failing at that.

Comment

Originally posted by Britta View Post
                Heads up TOIVA, that quote's from me. Somehow you accidentally attributed it to PH.

Originally posted by TOIVA View Post
                Both shows are basically about bounty hunters on a spaceship.
                The crew in Dark Matter are not bounty hunters. In fact, at least some of them have bounties on their own heads.
                Last edited by Britta; 05 August 2015, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Heads up TOIVA, that quote's from me. Somehow you accidentally attributed it to PH.

The crew in Dark Matter are not bounty hunters. In fact, at least some of them have bounties on their own heads.
                  Britta--I've used the quick quote thing and GW has attributed the quotes to other random people. I'm not sure that was done on purpose.

About DM:

I like the show. I think that, with any new drama, the actors are going to take it too seriously in the beginning. When you're trying to portray "dark and mysterious", it's easy to go too far at first. I think that, given time, this show will find its stride. The characters will even out, and it'll become a little more human. I still get pained watching the first two seasons of SG-1. Sometimes, it's just painful when you compare the characterizations with later seasons, when the actors have figured out the details of their people. I'm willing to stick it out to see where it's going to go. I just hope that the network will, too.
                  sigpic
                  My Stories: FFdotNet
                  My Stories AO3
                  Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                    Britta--I've used the quick quote thing and GW has attributed the quotes to other random people. I'm not sure that was done on purpose.
                    No worries, I didn't think it was intentional.

Comment

No worries, I didn't think it was intentional.
                      Groovy. It's just a weird quirk of the system, I think.
                      sigpic
                      My Stories: FFdotNet
                      My Stories AO3
                      Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

I've encountered that "added feature" as well.

Comment

Ah, yes, apologies. I was actually quoting both Britta and Pharaoh Hamenthotep and now that I look at the post, a good part of it is missing... I won't edit it since it'd just invalidate all of the later posts.

Either way, back on topic: In response to Pharaoh Hamenthotep, I wanted to write SGU was darker than Dark Matter. Both in actual ship lighting (Destiny vs. Raza) and so far I'd even say themes. But Dark Matter is still darker than pretty much anything else.

And I stand by what I said: the Raza is a ship of space bounty hunters, they just don't act on it and therefore McKay's not happy.

Comment

Originally posted by TOIVA View Post
                            And I stand by what I said: the Raza is a ship of space bounty hunters, they just don't act on it and therefore McKay's not happy.

I hope he comes back.
                            rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

Originally posted by Janet Fraiser View Post

I hope he comes back.
                              I hope they go to his house at some point and he has the painting from Harmony on one of his walls. It wouldn't make all that much sense, but they wouldn't need to focus on it

Comment

Number 3 is the best character in Dark Matter, end of discussion!
                                sigpic

Dr.Rodney McKay: Their operating system is a mess, thank goodness I remember DOS

Hallowed are the Ori

Stargate Space Simulator- http://marcusdamli.wix.com/stargate-eternity

Comment

Working...
                                X