Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: So far, what do you think about DM? (SPOILERS)

I'm with Three on this. Keeping locked boxes on your ship is stupid (same as was stupid of the crew not to explore the ship better/sooner).

It may only serve for future 'surprises' like "Great, there's exactly what we need in this box to solve our current problem."

Locked boxes, the solution to all of life's problems.

I am enjoying the show more as it goes on, I stopped around episode 3 until a work mate said it had picked up so I caught up on the show.

A few things I want addressed

Where exactly is Dark Matter based, how far from our Sol System are they

Has there been any contact with alien species before?

What makes the Rasa/Raza? such a good ship, the "evil" Corp dudes said its a damn waste of a "great ship" or something.
    It is fast in FTL and sublight apparently but does it have any other bonuses.

Give us scale of what the GA controls, how many worlds has humanity spread too, what does and doesnt GA control.

Flesh out the "corporations" [I hate that term in scifi] they are more like militaries.
    Lets see their logos, HQ's, alliances and competitors and start differentiating what each of them do.

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceOz View Post
    Locked boxes, the solution to all of life's problems.

I am enjoying the show more as it goes on, I stopped around episode 3 until a work mate said it had picked up so I caught up on the show.

A few things I want addressed

Where exactly is Dark Matter based, how far from our Sol System are they

Has there been any contact with alien species before?

What makes the Rasa/Raza? such a good ship, the "evil" Corp dudes said its a damn waste of a "great ship" or something.
    It is fast in FTL and sublight apparently but does it have any other bonuses.

Give us scale of what the GA controls, how many worlds has humanity spread too, what does and doesnt GA control.

Flesh out the "corporations" [I hate that term in scifi] they are more like militaries.
    Lets see their logos, HQ's, alliances and competitors and start differentiating what each of them do.
    Most of those are relevant to the story (I could see Earth not really being relevant), but I'd rather have them come up naturally over a few seasons than have an infodump episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Starsaber View Post
    Most of those are relevant to the story (I could see Earth not really being relevant), but I'd rather have them come up naturally over a few seasons than have an infodump episode.
    I agree. I like being led to conclusions rather than having them force-fed to me. I'm enjoying the show, and think that the pacing is interesting. I also don't think that the location in regards to Earth is important, unless the characters are from Earth, which I (quite frankly) would be a little disappointed about.
    My Stories: FFdotNet
    My Stories AO3
    Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

It's not about being presented 'conclusions' on a silver platter. It's about being transported from our homes to the setting and undertsanding it.

That's one of the largest shortcomings of Dark Matter in my opinion. We know very little about the piece of universe the Raza travels in. We don't know just how powerful the corporations are, how many there are, what they do, where their influence reaches... Most of the story happens in a dreamy setting of the Raza stumbling on 'stuff'. And ironically, the crew keeps stumbling on 'stuff' hidden in the ship's vault - which is an other annoying aspect of the show.

But all that said, Dark Matter is getting slowly better and the 11th episode actually managed to keep me entertained (might even be a first).

A strong first season. The final four episodes were very good. I hope it'll get a second season. There's so much potential for greatness there and so far it's been a good ride.

Quote Originally Posted by TOIVA View Post

That's one of the largest shortcomings of Dark Matter in my opinion. We know very little about the piece of universe the Raza travels in. We don't know just how powerful the corporations are, how many there are, what they do, where their influence reaches... Most of the story happens in a dreamy setting of the Raza stumbling on 'stuff'. And ironically, the crew keeps stumbling on 'stuff' hidden in the ship's vault - which is an other annoying aspect of the show.
    yes as I have said before there is a lack of "worldbuilding" that I would like more to see. for example As you stated I would like to see more about:
    How far in the future is this?
    How far from earth? Are they in the Milky Way?
    Are they earth based humans, born on other colonies but origins(DNA) from earth
    or are they from somewhere else?
    More about these corporations.
    They needn't devote whole episodes to these questions, just a snippet here and there would be nice.
    Otherwise yes the last few episodes are a lot better and I will watch if there's a Season 2

Remember, they mentioned Star Wars (ep. 36, was it?).

So it actually should be Earth's future (just somehow without Earth - and any developped planet, seemingly). Unless they just mess with us on purpose.

Speaking of which, I feel a lot messed up with on purpose by Mallozzi and Mullie. I've gotten the feeling the whole season was merely constructed around shocking crossovers from one episode to the next. I didn't quite get a sense of slowly building up story elements that would have a deeper meaning.
    Both Defiance and Killjoys, in retrospective, were hinting at what will happen, planting seeds of future events. Characters were growing throughout the season to reflect the evnts taking place. I didn't see that in Dark Matter.

If they want to make a good serialised drama, they need to seriously change their way of writing, planning out seasons and individual arcs.
    If they want to have a fun episodic show, then that's fine by me too, I love Sg-1 and Atlantis, afterall. But then again, this didn't quite deliver in this department either.

Chief Master Sergeant

I'm with Three on this. Keeping locked boxes on your ship is stupid (same as was stupid of the crew not to explore the ship better/sooner).

It may only serve for future 'surprises' like "Great, there's exactly what we need in this box to solve our current problem."
    No, the contents can also cause problems, like the new android, or be clues to unlock the mysteries of their backgrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Starsaber View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Akamaimom View Post
    I agree. I like being led to conclusions rather than having them force-fed to me. I'm enjoying the show, and think that the pacing is interesting. I also don't think that the location in regards to Earth is important, unless the characters are from Earth, which I (quite frankly) would be a little disappointed about.
    Agreed.

We switched TV providers and the new one doesn't have SyFy in the package we chose, So I'll miss the final two episodes.

I'm hoping it comes to Netflix. In any region.
    Last edited by I Am Not James Spader; August 30th, 2015 at 05:30 AM.

This show got a lot better as its characters grew more human and less like Firefly/TV cool people cariacatures. I'm actually interested in the tension and dynamics between all of them, and they're actually doing things with the blank slate mysterious backgrounds and motives they each have rather than taking a safe route which allows them to maintain an episodic status quo, especially with the reveal in the season finale.

At this point I will be pissed if there isn't a season 2. As much as Mallozzi and Mullie drove Atlantis straight into a dumpster, I'm surprised to find that Dark Matter won me over. All seven characters are pretty endearing by now. Great job.

And... more David Hewlett please.

Lieutenant General poundpuppy29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I Am Not James Spader View Post

We switched TV providers and the new one doesn't have SyFy in the package we chose, So I'll miss the final two episodes.

I'm hoping it comes to Netflix. In any region.
    You can watch on Amazon either buy a season or just episodes this is how I watch it I don't have cable and if you have itunes but that was annoying for me Amazon was much simpler and the eps are only 1.99 the HD are more I got the season pass of the reg

I enjoy both Dark Matter and Killjoys both characters and overall plot

My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
    poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

In the multifandom region of subspace...shiny!

I've seen a couple of episodes, and I'll confess I'm finding it a bit slow and plodding :\

I really like the Android, I think she's fantastic and the actress is excellent, but I find the other characters quite bland.

Since I'm in the UK where viewing figures don't count towards a show's renewal, I'm going to wait till it's online and marathon it.

I still really hope it gets a second season, because it definitely has a lot of potential, and I want it to win me over.

Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Chief Master Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
    You can watch on Amazon either buy a season or just episodes this is how I watch it I don't have cable and if you have itunes but that was annoying for me Amazon was much simpler and the eps are only 1.99 the HD are more I got the season pass of the reg

I enjoy both Dark Matter and Killjoys both characters and overall plot
    I don't like it enough to get the episodes from iTunes or Amazon.

I understand the attraction of taking time to fill in the details of the universe the show inhabits, but the way the TV business is these days, I think I have to prefer a "data dump" episode, for the simple reason that many shows don't get time to do it slowly before they are axed. Seems that too many TV execs cut their teeth on "short attention span theater".

"It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

Chief Master Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    I understand the attraction of taking time to fill in the details of the universe the show inhabits, but the way the TV business is these days, I think I have to prefer a "data dump" episode, for the simple reason that many shows don't get time to do it slowly before they are axed. Seems that too many TV execs cut their teeth on "short attention span theater".
    If a TV show isn't going to last then a world building "data dump" episode is pointless because it doesn't go anywhere.

If it does last, then the writer's are painted into a corner after such an episode.

Quote Originally Posted by I Am Not James Spader View Post
    If a TV show isn't going to last then a world building "data dump" episode is pointless because it doesn't go anywhere.

If it does last, then the writer's are painted into a corner after such an episode.
    Nothing wrong with planning things out and then having to stick to your plan.

"It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

No need for 'data dump' episodes.

Just throw info every here and there spread out over several/many/all episodes. It can be done in a way not screaming at everyone: "Hear! Hear! Infodump!"

Chief Master Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Nothing wrong with planning things out and then having to stick to your plan.
    Yes there is - slow gradual world building allows space and time to develop new or alternate ideas. Doing it all once or quickly benefits a show nothing. The characters have to take priority - if we don't like them, then a show has no future.

No need for 'data dump' episodes.

Just throw info every here and there spread out over several/many/all episodes. It can be done in a way not screaming at everyone: "Hear! Hear! Infodump!"
    Precisely and it allows for a better development of the overall plan for the series.

Been bingewathing this, watched last couple of episodes tody.
    Really like this series, looking forward to season 2

Meh, it's okay. Nothing to write home about. I almost didn't watch it when I found out who was involved in it. Zoie Palmer is the only feason I gave it a chance and considering she gets taken offline in almost every episode I'm wondering what's the point. When I saw Hewlett's name the first time I cringed. Mallozzi, Mullie and Hewlett together is never a good combination. But I'm glad there's only been minor screen time on a computer screen.