Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Major General

Default Re: So far, what do you think about DM? (SPOILERS)

So far.. I think it has the darkness of SGU (seriously someone find the lightswitch ) the plots of Firefly and all the personality of a boiled potato..

It might get better as it goes on.. But if it gets cancelled I don't think it would matter to me at all.

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
    ...and all the personality of a boiled potato.
    That's an insult to boiled potatoes.

Air Force Chief of Staff Britta's Avatar

I just got caught up on the series and I've quite enjoyed it. Perhaps it's because I've been evaluating it entirely on it's own strengths, rather than comparing it to other shows. That being said I've always been better at compartmentalizing those sort of things.

It's the same with in-universe vs. production. Of course it's going to have relatively low budget in the first season. As for the effects, there are always bound to be people who don't like them. Cheapness just allows these people to categorise their dislike as objective rather than subjective. Or maybe I just don't notice as much. I guess I just like liking things.

That being said I did start watching Dark Matter after being annoyed at people constantly comparing it to Killjoys just because they started together.

Something I will agree with is that One is rather bland at the moment, but that doesn't really bother me because I don't feel that I am particularly expected to feel otherwise. Maybe the character is supposed to be relatively simple, rather than concluding that he is a failed attempt at a complicated character. I do like that he isn't really who he can't remember supposedly being (and how many people get to say that?)

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

I like it so far, but yeah the effects can be distracting sometimes, and I wish they would just find a way to get there memories back but that probably won't happen until the end of the season

and all the personality of a boiled potato..
    Spoiler:

Last Movie Watched
    X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
    Life is Strange

Lieutenant General poundpuppy29's Avatar

I am really enjoying it I enjoy the characters and the story the on going story is very cool

My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
    poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

That being said I did start watching Dark Matter after being annoyed at people constantly comparing it to Killjoys just because they started together.
    Frankly it was hard not to compare. After years Syfy gets back to space. With two shows at the same time. But that's not the only common point. Both shows are basically about bounty hunters on a spaceship. Both are supposed to be mostly about the characters, with serious themes but also some fun. And both were a lot reminiscent of Firefly at one time or another. (Didn't help that both had their 5th episodes salvaging a supposedly deserted freigher. If Defiance weren't afforded a double episode premiere, those two 'space freighter' episodes would be running back to back.)

The main difference I see is Dark Matter is trying to take itself more seriously. And for me, failing at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Britta View Post
    Heads up TOIVA, that quote's from me. Somehow you accidentally attributed it to PH.

Quote Originally Posted by TOIVA View Post
    Both shows are basically about bounty hunters on a spaceship.
    The crew in Dark Matter are not bounty hunters. In fact, at least some of them have bounties on their own heads.
    Last edited by Britta; August 5th, 2015 at 06:24 AM.

Heads up TOIVA, that quote's from me. Somehow you accidentally attributed it to PH.

The crew in Dark Matter are not bounty hunters. In fact, at least some of them have bounties on their own heads.
    Britta--I've used the quick quote thing and GW has attributed the quotes to other random people. I'm not sure that was done on purpose.

About DM:

I like the show. I think that, with any new drama, the actors are going to take it too seriously in the beginning. When you're trying to portray "dark and mysterious", it's easy to go too far at first. I think that, given time, this show will find its stride. The characters will even out, and it'll become a little more human. I still get pained watching the first two seasons of SG-1. Sometimes, it's just painful when you compare the characterizations with later seasons, when the actors have figured out the details of their people. I'm willing to stick it out to see where it's going to go. I just hope that the network will, too.
    My Stories: FFdotNet
    My Stories AO3
    Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Quote Originally Posted by Akamaimom View Post
    Britta--I've used the quick quote thing and GW has attributed the quotes to other random people. I'm not sure that was done on purpose.
    No worries, I didn't think it was intentional.

No worries, I didn't think it was intentional.
    Groovy. It's just a weird quirk of the system, I think.
    My Stories: FFdotNet
    My Stories AO3
    Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

I've encountered that "added feature" as well.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

Ah, yes, apologies. I was actually quoting both Britta and Pharaoh Hamenthotep and now that I look at the post, a good part of it is missing... I won't edit it since it'd just invalidate all of the later posts.

Either way, back on topic: In response to Pharaoh Hamenthotep, I wanted to write SGU was darker than Dark Matter. Both in actual ship lighting (Destiny vs. Raza) and so far I'd even say themes. But Dark Matter is still darker than pretty much anything else.

And I stand by what I said: the Raza is a ship of space bounty hunters, they just don't act on it and therefore McKay's not happy.

And I stand by what I said: the Raza is a ship of space bounty hunters, they just don't act on it and therefore McKay's not happy.

I hope he comes back.
    rest easy now

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Quote Originally Posted by Janet Fraiser View Post

I hope he comes back.
    I hope they go to his house at some point and he has the painting from Harmony on one of his walls. It wouldn't make all that much sense, but they wouldn't need to focus on it

Universe A, Milkyway Galaxy, The Sunsystem, Earth.

Number 3 is the best character in Dark Matter, end of discussion!

Dr.Rodney McKay: Their operating system is a mess, thank goodness I remember DOS

Hallowed are the Ori

Stargate Space Simulator- http://marcusdamli.wix.com/stargate-eternity

Five, Six and the android could vie for best character. But they don't get enough good material to work with, so yes, I agree: currently Three is the best (and to a large degree only good) character.

If only we got more of the Android...

Major General

Quote Originally Posted by TheAtlantia View Post
    Number 3 is the best character in Dark Matter, end of discussion!
    He's the "bad guy" on the ship, that means he's the only one who gets to have personality traits beyond "good guy". He's allowed to be complex and all shades of grey, because unless he's a pantomime villain twirling his moustache as he ties One to the train tracks, he can't be "bad" all the time.

The rest of them are stuck being "good and helpful" Apart from Six who disappeared into the wallpaper.. And One who is just whiny and annoying about how good he wants to be

Personally, I like all type of shows and characters (from Game of Thrones/Borgia/Spartacus to Mentalist passing by 12 Monkeys). The difference between a good and bad show is related to the stories and writing. In some TV shows and movies the main characters are so despicable, that I don't even care if they die or whatever happens to them. I don't think having dark characters (who also do good things) is the only way to have "complex and all shades of grey" characters. There's more personality traits than only being good or bad or a mix between the 2. You can be a good person and still live very dramatic events. Full of hard decisions, difficult situations, actions, adventures, sadness, joy, fear, etc.

Most characters in Stargate were good people but we still loved them, feel for them during all the great stories and adventures which happened to them.

Jack O'Neill --Good but anti-conformist. I give him to you. He's a bit bad but not that dark.
    Daniel Jackson--Good and helpful. Curious with a big heart for injustice.
    Samantha Carter--Good and helpful. Intelligent and resourceful.
    Teal'c--Good and helpful. Warrior, loyal, has no fear.
    George S. Hammond--Good and helpful. Father figure. Diplomat. Intuitive.
    Jonas Quinn--Good and helpful.
    Cameron Mitchell--Good and helpful. Courageous.
    Vala Mal Doran--Turned out to be good but egocentric at first (iirc). I give her to you but again she's not dark.
    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Chief Master Sergeant erotavlas's Avatar

This show is great so far. Each episode gets more and more interesting as the story progresses and I want to keep watching to find about more about each character and their background.

I agree with some other comments that it has similar darkness of SGU. But in a good way. The crew are a bit lighter in spirit than the crew of SGU were. Overall though it has a totally different vibe than SGU.

So far it's my favourite sci-fi show on TV alongside Falling Skies.

Chief Master Sergeant

Indeed.

At the very beginning, they stumbled in a cargo hold with crates of weapons, clothes, etc. They thought they had enough to make money.

Now they've unlocked the 'mystery' cargo hold. They found weapons, money, other goodies and think they have enough to be fine.

I bloody hope we're not gonna see that pattern repeat anymore. And I still don't get why this cargo hold was locked while the crates with weapons they found in the pilot weren't.
    There are things in the "vault" that are more valuable than other cargo. Sarah for one thing.

I'm guessing that as the show goes on that there a lot more stuff stored in there that is valuable and dangerous to them. There also just general stuff like food and booze kept in there in the event of an attack like somebody trying to steal from them like in Episode Ten.

Quote Originally Posted by utan77 View Post
    I think that they will find something interesting in locked chests - that is why this cargo was extra closed.
    Precisely.
    Last edited by I Am Not James Spader; August 24th, 2015 at 08:41 AM.