Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could CGI one day replace models or actors. One use to replace photography models.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could CGI one day replace models or actors. One use to replace photography models.

I'm picturing a software package where you could input the models stats as you want them, a range of clothes and locations and do virtual shoots indistinguishable from attending a shoot in person.

Just to expand on this..

I input the following..

Model 5"9 brunette
    athletic build, longish arms and legs <adjusts these to suit>
    location Paris around mid day.
    <inputs selection of clothes>
    <starts virtual poses>
    <takes photos>

Could this be done one day easily or would something like this need a lot of work to produce a package that everyone could use with a minimal learning curve?

Do you think we'll get there one day?

The closest thing to this I have tried was the progam Poser which uses virtual models in fixed settings. But it has a learning curve that I didn't take very well to.
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

In theory.. yes. CG humans will get to a point where it's impossible to tell them apart from real people..

But!! For a CG character to appear in a film you need someone to model them. Someone to model the clothes, someone to texture, someone to animate the body, someone else to animate the face, someone to make the lighting to match the real footage you're putting CG character into, someone to do the voice etc..

If you go the motion capture route for animation then you need someone to act out the scene with sensors all over them and a team to run the equipment to apply it to the CG character...

It might just be easier to use a real person

With 7 billion humans on the planet, if you can't find one who fits your vision for the film/photoshoot etc then you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
      In theory.. yes. CG humans will get to a point where it's impossible to tell them apart from real people..

But!! For a CG character to appear in a film you need someone to model them. Someone to model the clothes, someone to texture, someone to animate the body, someone else to animate the face, someone to make the lighting to match the real footage you're putting CG character into, someone to do the voice etc..

If you go the motion capture route for animation then you need someone to act out the scene with sensors all over them and a team to run the equipment to apply it to the CG character...

With 7 billion humans on the planet, if you can't find one who fits your vision for the film/photoshoot etc then you're doing it wrong.
      Problem is that approximately 6.9 billion of that 7 Billion aren't fit to have a conversation with, let alone work with in real life.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post

I'd say 7 times out of 10 I have no problems finding models suitable to shoot. But I'm just wondering out loud whether technology will get there that we can input a list of specs and have a virtual model and clothes and do virtual photos that you could pass off as regular photos.
        Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

As the facial recognition people are finding, there are so many very tiny differences between our physiognomies, our computer models (that I've seen) are pretty poor at producing realistic faces.

Comment

While i think CGI might get that advanced, i actually hope not.

Comment

Working...
            X