• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episode 3

Visit the Episode GuideDARK MATTER - SEASON ONE
    EPISODE 3
    EPISODE NUMBER - 103
    The group suspects that someone among them has sabotaged the ship after systems begin malfunctioning, prompting the Android to give each person a lie-detector test. Meanwhile, Five makes a disturbing discovery while exploring the ship.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 05 August 2015, 04:24 PM.

I actually liked this one more than I did Killjoys this week. Five and Six continue to be the best parts of the show. It still doesn't have me completely sold, but I'll give it more time to develop.

Comment

I am beginning to think the Five is the one who did the memory wipe. Maybe the memory wipe was unintentional, maybe she and the boy who is dead, were just trying to get information from the crew and then something went wrong....I suspect that since she was in stasis with them that maybe she had to be in one of the tubes in order to make the process work and something went wrong and that's how she ended up with their memories instead of them getting implanted on the cards they showed her holding at the end. I guess we will find out soon if there is data on those cards or not.

Also notice that they are not asking always the android the right questions so I think the android knows more but because they (on screen) haven't asked certain questions, they are not getting the answers. I have to watch the show again to explain the part where I felt that when I watch it. I think everyone except Three is a little too trusting of the android.
      sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

I quite like 6 and the Android (although she starts to annoy me with that high pitch of her voice at times). And I am a bit intrigued by 4. But the rest, not quite working for me, despite some very nice acting from Jodelle Ferland (5).

The problem I've got with Dark Matter is that it tries to be serious and intelligent, but that leads to thinking and questioning what we see. And in my case, I'm coming up with what seems like plot holes. Which frustrates me and keeps me from enjoying the show.

For instance, they're awake for a couple days now (the trip from the colony to the base they're going was I think described as over two days long), but apparently, noone cares to look what's on the ship. They did a rudimentary exploring in the first episode, but obviously didn't quite looked everywhere. There are cargo holds like the one 5 found the dead boy in and supposedly the one behind the large door.
        2 wisely decided to jettison the body before they reach the spacedock, but what if there are more dead bodies, or other unpleasant stuff?! It's only 5 that keeps on finding stuff because she's the only one actively looking.

See, Killjoys (which I enjoy best of the 3 Syfy shows) probably has plenty mistakes, plot holes etc. in it as well, but I'm not compelled to try finding them. Why? Because it's great fun simply watching and enjoying it.
        And Defiance falls somewhere in between the two shows this season, so far I like it a lot.
        I'll keep watching Dark Matter (it's still pretty nice Sci-fi), but I'm afraid unless something changes with the characters soon, I'll only watch it for the CGI (ships in space is something I'll always be interested in).
        Last edited by TOIVA; 27 June 2015, 03:00 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Originally posted by TOIVA View Post
          I quite like 6 and the Android (although she starts to annoy me with that high pitch of her voice at times). And I am a bit intrigued by 4. But the rest, not quite working for me, despite some very nice acting from Jodelle Ferland (5).

The problem I've got with Dark Matter is that it tries to be serious and intelligent, but that leads to thinking and questioning what we see. And in my case, I'm coming up with what seems like plot holes. Which frustrates me and keeps me from enjoying the show.

For instance, they're awake for a couple days now (the trip from the colony to the base they're going was I think described as over two days long), but apparently, noone cares to look what's on the ship. They did a rudimentary exploring in the first episode, but obviously didn't quite looked everywhere. There are cargo holds like the one 5 found the dead boy in and supposedly the one behind the large door.
          2 wisely decided to jettison the body before they reach the spacedock, but what if there are more dead bodies, or other unpleasant stuff?! It's only 5 that keeps on finding stuff because she's the only one actively looking.

See, Killjoys (which I enjoy best of the 3 Syfy shows) probably has plenty mistakes, plot holes etc. in it as well, but I'm not compelled to try finding them. Why? Because it's great fun simply watching and enjoying it.
          And Defiance falls somewhere in between the two shows this season, so far I like it a lot.
          I'll keep watching Dark Matter (it's still pretty nice Sci-fi), but I'm afraid unless something changes with the characters soon, I'll only watch it for the CGI (ships in space is something I'll always be interested in).
          I agree (mostly, the 3d episode of dark matter was the last for me)!
          Last edited by pakar; 27 June 2015, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
            I am beginning to think the Five is the one who did the memory wipe. Maybe the memory wipe was unintentional, maybe she and the boy who is dead, were just trying to get information from the crew and then something went wrong....I suspect that since she was in stasis with them that maybe she had to be in one of the tubes in order to make the process work and something went wrong and that's how she ended up with their memories instead of them getting implanted on the cards they showed her holding at the end. I guess we will find out soon if there is data on those cards or not.

Also notice that they are not asking always the android the right questions so I think the android knows more but because they (on screen) haven't asked certain questions, they are not getting the answers. I have to watch the show again to explain the part where I felt that when I watch it. I think everyone except Three is a little too trusting of the android.
            Oh, I didn't notice that there was more than one card Five had at the end. (My excuse is that half the scenes are too dark to see anything ) It certainly is suspicious that she has everyone's memories and that the ship has no record of her being onboard. She seems so innocent, but with her snooping expertise, tinkering skills, and intuition about things hidden around the ship, she is the big question mark, as she says.

I also think the Android knows more than she has let on, although she might not be conscious of it. Even if the Android really knows nothing, I would bet she had a more important role before the memory wipe than just being an unusually friendly bot.

In the meantime, I love all of the Android and Five's scenes. Definitely my favorite characters so far, and if they turn out to be more devious than has been let on, then I'm all for it.

I'm looking forward to the next ep, especially since Amanda Tapping directed it. Hopefully there's some special feature about that. I also don't mind that the characters' backgrounds haven't been truly revealed yet; I like a story that takes its time, as someone else has already mentioned.
            rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

I thought this was a pretty good episode. I hope the trend continues.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
                I thought this was a pretty good episode. I hope the trend continues.
                It started quite slow but got better as it went along. The situation reminded me of SGU.

One seems to me like he feels guilty. I think it remains interesting that he's playing the good/innocent despite being a murderer himself. The guy at the end implies even his name is stolen, and i'm looking forward to the dirt we'll find on clean boy One.

Comment

That end scene did make me wonder whether the crew

Spoiler:
                  were clones (and he wasn't his twin which is the obvious choice), hence the lack of memory

Comment

episode 3 ratings

1.068 mil. viewers
                    0.20 adult rating

Well it went up in viewers like killjoys. they are about the same in ratings. But the adult rating is a bit low (again like killjoys)

Comment

Umm, please forgive this lighthearted comment (I may have drunk a few beers by now...), but didn't you find
                      Spoiler:
                      the second Corso, AKA Two, having a ridiculous makeup with laughable shades?

It definitely made me burst out laughing, which didn't help the episode, really.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
                        That end scene did make me wonder whether the crew

Spoiler:
                        were clones (and he wasn't his twin which is the obvious choice), hence the lack of memory
                        Spoiler:
                        Them being clones might explain the memory loss. Its a definite possibility though I hope it isn't right, I'd rather that the guy on the station turn out to be an imposter who is using 1 identity for some reason

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
                          Spoiler:
                          Them being clones might explain the memory loss. Its a definite possibility though I hope it isn't right, I'd rather that the guy on the station turn out to be an imposter who is using 1 identity for some reason
                          I would expect the reverse. Crazy lookalikes happen though.

Comment

This episode was a bit better.

Comment

Oh yeah, that was absurd.
                              Looked like a 14 year old that just found her mums makeup draw.

Comment

Working...
                              X