No announcement yet.

Episode 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not a bad start. I'm just afraid that it really won't have anything at least slightly new to offer over say Firefly and SGU.

Which technically doesn't mean it will be a bad and/or boring show. But for it to keep going, the quality would have to stay very high, or else people will just rewatch those older shows instead.

Btw. I didn't find the VFX bad, definitely around the best there are at this point in TV (similar to BSG in tone).

Comment

I liked it. But I feel like I have seen the whole people waking up with no memory & not liking who they were before & try to change thing before

Comment

I liked the episode as well. I'm pretty happy to see this kind of tv show back on air. However, I was a bit disappointed by the reveal at the end... I think they could have waited a bit more.
        Fancy Lee: Every organization needs its designated a**h***. That is my gift to the Killjoy collective. The a**h*** may not be liked, but he will always be necessary, because he does what's needed.
        Killjoy, 1x06, One blood
        --------------------
        Clint Barton: Why am I back? How'd you get him out?
        Natasha Romanoff: Cognitive re-calibration. I hit you really hard in the head.
        The Avengers
        ---------------------
        Clint Barton: The city is flying and we're fighting an army of robots. And I have a bow and arrow. Nothing makes sense.
        The Avengers: Age of Ultron
        --------------------

Comment

I actually liked it a lot. Had a Firefly/SGU feel to it, but in a good way. I do think it misses a unique selling point, something that screams "dark matter" rather than just "sci fi".

I'm not bothered by the acting or CGI. This *is* still SyFy we're talking about. It seems to have a decent budget.

I do like the Android, and how she warmed up over the episode. First she was like a terminator, all cold and cool, then took on a more human role. hearing her say the sci fi cliche words like during the attack "heading straight for us" (etc) in a fairly calm, informative tone was pretty fun. I though it was a pretty cool idea that mr good boy One turns out to be a killer too.

I am fine with the reveal at the end, because it neatly set up a couple of things, including actual depth.

1: the pendant shows they're the good guys, but the data reveals they're bad guys, meaning there's more going on than just straight up bad-guys-with-amnesia-induced-conscience.

2: they wanted to know their identity, but now that they know it they won't like it. Especially considering their earlier decision.

3: One, mr nice guy, turns out to be as much as a bad guy as the rest, which nicely smothers the idea of having a "pure" guy among badasses.

4: considering the 'kidnapping' account and the lack of a wanted sheet, the kid is clearly the one kidnapped. Though, since she also appears to be the technician, there may be a whole episode dedicated to what happened and how. Since she apparently murdered people and escaped, the Rasa took her on (hence "kidnapping" ) though she's probably one of hem.

Lastly, Rasa is a pretty cool name (from Tabula Rasa i assume)

Comment

At this point and after the end reveal, I kinda think the Razza (or Rasa? not sure I've seen anyone competent write it yet - looking at Joseph Mallozzi's blog) and its occupants truly were the exterminators sent to destroy the colony.

But, they were intercepted on their way by the person the colony has been in contact with (that said he was sending weps and the pendant). He wiped their memories, gave them the pendant and left hoping that with their minds blank, they would be naturally 'good' and help the colony (based on the information they get on the colony and the pendant).

Of course this theory has many holes: Why would the mysterious person not help the colony directly, if he's able to subvert the killers sent after the colony? Why would he think they'd be compelled to help the colony? Why leaving the ship adrift and not sending it directly to the colony? etc.

Comment

It does have promise and since there's nothing else to watch it might get a viewing.

there is also one plot point that could happen.....what if these folks aren't what the ship says they are? What if they're not murderers, someone just wants to tell them they are to see what they do?
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I wasn't that impressed, but I'll reserve further judgement until the second half of the pilot. I'm like pakar, it has to be more than just "better than their last crappy show" for me to consider it worth watching.

Comment

Originally posted by TOIVA View Post

Of course this theory has many holes: Why would the mysterious person not help the colony directly?, if he's able to subvert the killers sent after the colony? Why would he think they'd be compelled to help the colony? Why leaving the ship adrift and not sending it directly to the colony? etc.
                  I got no answer for the first. Because they are fundamentally good people but just been put into positions they had to act bad. For example while one of them cut out the eyes of those assassins who killed their dad, I think most of us would probably do the same thing if they killed our dad as well, an if it was the evil step mother that sent them we probably dump them outside her door as a message. We can presume that why this princess is still alive she is a threat to the step mother plans.

Piracy could easily be related to how one of the corporations tried to seize the Raza by underhanded methods so they simply flew her out of space dock before they got their hands on her and what ever behind those doors and so they got done for piracy. Perhaps there was a third party involve, the one that launch those missiles and so they had to speed up their plans a little so the crew was woken early to save the ship.

Comment

Originally posted by TOIVA View Post
                    But, they were intercepted on their way by the person the colony has been in contact with (that said he was sending weps and the pendant). He wiped their memories, gave them the pendant and left hoping that with their minds blank, they would be naturally 'good' and help the colony (based on the information they get on the colony and the pendant).
                    It would've been a lot easier to plant information in the ship that led them to believe they were good guys to begin with, IE a shipping manifest for the weapons.

If the helpers could've delayed their information recovery enough, the gun shipment would've been completed and protection would be assured.

My money's on that they had information they were not meant to have, and had it removed from their memory. Something went wrong and their entire memory was wiped. Or maybe that's the only way it can be done.

Malicious or benevolent intent for the colony makes no sense, since they were both alive and the ship was OK. It was damaged by a meteor, and safety mechanisms awoke the crew. Any party regarding the planet situation would simply have killed them. My money's on the idea that the Megacorps felt that Rasa had too much dirt on them, and ordered the memory wipe to reduce that risk without losing their, well, main cleanup crew. Maybe it's like BSG and it has happened before, and will happen again, as a standard procedure.

Cheesy bonus option: they did it themselves in an attempt to say goodbye to mercenary life and start anew.

Comment

Looks like an attempt to repeat "Firefly" to me. At least if it goes they way I think it will, and they become a band of mercenaries or a freight delivery service, or combination of the two.

Just have to see where it goes, but the jury is definitely still out on this.

Comment

well watching only the first episode I don't hate it, t was ok, will need to see how things go before I render a final decision.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                          I got no answer for the first. Because they are fundamentally good people but just been put into positions they had to act bad. For example while one of them cut out the eyes of those assassins who killed their dad, I think most of us would probably do the same thing if they killed our dad as well, an if it was the evil step mother that sent them we probably dump them outside her door as a message. We can presume that why this princess is still alive she is a threat to the step mother plans.

Piracy could easily be related to how one of the corporations tried to seize the Raza by underhanded methods so they simply flew her out of space dock before they got their hands on her and what ever behind those doors and so they got done for piracy. Perhaps there was a third party involve, the one that launch those missiles and so they had to speed up their plans a little so the crew was woken early to save the ship.
                          Those would point to the person (or people) responsible for the memory wipe being very well informed about the crew, perhaps even that being themselves. Which ties to this 'cheesy bonus option':
                          Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                          Cheesy bonus option: they did it themselves in an attempt to say goodbye to mercenary life and start anew.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                            Looks like an attempt to repeat "Firefly" to me.

Just have to see where it goes, but the jury is definitely still out on this.
                            For the moment a bad repeat of firefly. My ancient greek ancestors had a say: the beginning is the half of everything. I really hope it will improve but with these actors i don't see much of a chance to become as good as Firefly was.

Comment

Not bad, kinda miffed that they didn't air the second episode like they did with Defiance, which I've still yet to watch
                              Last Movie Watched
                              X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                              Life is Strange

Comment

Episode 1 ratings

1.279.000 viewers
                                0.31 adult rating

If there was not Olympus this would be the worst premiere of SyFy.
                                Defiancs started even lower,Syfy is in serious trouble

Comment

Working...
                                X