Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Episode 1

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

Default Re: Pilot, Part 1 (101)

It does have promise and since there's nothing else to watch it might get a viewing.

there is also one plot point that could happen.....what if these folks aren't what the ship says they are? What if they're not murderers, someone just wants to tell them they are to see what they do?

Second Lieutenant

I wasn't that impressed, but I'll reserve further judgement until the second half of the pilot. I'm like pakar, it has to be more than just "better than their last crappy show" for me to consider it worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by TOIVA View Post

Of course this theory has many holes: Why would the mysterious person not help the colony directly?, if he's able to subvert the killers sent after the colony? Why would he think they'd be compelled to help the colony? Why leaving the ship adrift and not sending it directly to the colony? etc.
    I got no answer for the first. Because they are fundamentally good people but just been put into positions they had to act bad. For example while one of them cut out the eyes of those assassins who killed their dad, I think most of us would probably do the same thing if they killed our dad as well, an if it was the evil step mother that sent them we probably dump them outside her door as a message. We can presume that why this princess is still alive she is a threat to the step mother plans.

Piracy could easily be related to how one of the corporations tried to seize the Raza by underhanded methods so they simply flew her out of space dock before they got their hands on her and what ever behind those doors and so they got done for piracy. Perhaps there was a third party involve, the one that launch those missiles and so they had to speed up their plans a little so the crew was woken early to save the ship.

Quote Originally Posted by TOIVA View Post
    But, they were intercepted on their way by the person the colony has been in contact with (that said he was sending weps and the pendant). He wiped their memories, gave them the pendant and left hoping that with their minds blank, they would be naturally 'good' and help the colony (based on the information they get on the colony and the pendant).
    It would've been a lot easier to plant information in the ship that led them to believe they were good guys to begin with, IE a shipping manifest for the weapons.

If the helpers could've delayed their information recovery enough, the gun shipment would've been completed and protection would be assured.

My money's on that they had information they were not meant to have, and had it removed from their memory. Something went wrong and their entire memory was wiped. Or maybe that's the only way it can be done.

Malicious or benevolent intent for the colony makes no sense, since they were both alive and the ship was OK. It was damaged by a meteor, and safety mechanisms awoke the crew. Any party regarding the planet situation would simply have killed them. My money's on the idea that the Megacorps felt that Rasa had too much dirt on them, and ordered the memory wipe to reduce that risk without losing their, well, main cleanup crew. Maybe it's like BSG and it has happened before, and will happen again, as a standard procedure.

Cheesy bonus option: they did it themselves in an attempt to say goodbye to mercenary life and start anew.

Looks like an attempt to repeat "Firefly" to me. At least if it goes they way I think it will, and they become a band of mercenaries or a freight delivery service, or combination of the two.

Just have to see where it goes, but the jury is definitely still out on this.
    "It may seem pointless but small talk is a vital dating skill. It helps to establish a rapport with your companion."
    - Starship Voyager's Holographic Doctor
    "Perhaps there's something to be said for assimilation after all."
    - Former Borg Seven of Nine

well watching only the first episode I don't hate it, t was ok, will need to see how things go before I render a final decision.

Quote Originally Posted by knowles2 View Post
    I got no answer for the first. Because they are fundamentally good people but just been put into positions they had to act bad. For example while one of them cut out the eyes of those assassins who killed their dad, I think most of us would probably do the same thing if they killed our dad as well, an if it was the evil step mother that sent them we probably dump them outside her door as a message. We can presume that why this princess is still alive she is a threat to the step mother plans.

Piracy could easily be related to how one of the corporations tried to seize the Raza by underhanded methods so they simply flew her out of space dock before they got their hands on her and what ever behind those doors and so they got done for piracy. Perhaps there was a third party involve, the one that launch those missiles and so they had to speed up their plans a little so the crew was woken early to save the ship.
    Those would point to the person (or people) responsible for the memory wipe being very well informed about the crew, perhaps even that being themselves. Which ties to this 'cheesy bonus option':
    Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    Cheesy bonus option: they did it themselves in an attempt to say goodbye to mercenary life and start anew.

Second Lieutenant
    10.000 light years from Earth and going farther

Quote Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
    Looks like an attempt to repeat "Firefly" to me.

Just have to see where it goes, but the jury is definitely still out on this.
    For the moment a bad repeat of firefly. My ancient greek ancestors had a say: the beginning is the half of everything. I really hope it will improve but with these actors i don't see much of a chance to become as good as Firefly was.

Not bad, kinda miffed that they didn't air the second episode like they did with Defiance, which I've still yet to watch
    Last Movie Watched
    X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
    Life is Strange

Second Lieutenant
    10.000 light years from Earth and going farther

Episode 1 ratings

1.279.000 viewers
    0.31 adult rating

If there was not Olympus this would be the worst premiere of SyFy.
    Defiancs started even lower,Syfy is in serious trouble

I had to force myself to watch this episode all the way through. So basically it's ideas from other sci fi franchises, mainly Blake's 7, Firefly & Pitch Black, all cobbled together with really bad acting and unlikeable characters. There was absolutely nothing original about it. I won't be watching any further episodes.
    Last edited by Blencathra; June 16th, 2015 at 12:15 PM.

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    there is also one plot point that could happen.....what if these folks aren't what the ship says they are? What if they're not murderers, someone just wants to tell them they are to see what they do?
    You mean like the Android? I don't think she's as innocent as she makes out.

Also did anybody else notice in the scene where the android told the two girls she'd discovered something, on the video screen behind her was a corrupt video still of David Hewlett? (I know he's in it somewhere, just wondered if others saw it or I was dreaming).

Second Lieutenant

You weren't dreaming. That was Hewlett.

I couldn't make out who it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Blencathra View Post
    I had to force myself to watch this episode all the way through. So basically it's ideas from other sci fi franchises, mainly Blake's 7, Firefly & Pitch Black, all cobbled together with really bad acting and unlikeable characters. There was absolutely nothing original about it. I won't be watching any further episodes.
    *wipes brow*...phew....so glad someone thinks the same as me....I was going to post that I was distinctly underwhelmed.....well, I was a LOT more than distinctly underwhelmed.....I thought it was poor....

Oh and I REALLY can't stand the one with the big gun........never seen so many Sci-Fi cliched characters all together in one place....

Deeds xx

Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
    MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blencathra View Post
    I had a go on Monday after I watched this to say what I thought of it here. I found it impossible to say that I liked anything about it and wondered if I should even bother watching the second part of the pilot. So, since I share the same view about this cliched mish mash I had to join you and say it! Blake's 7, yes, that's the other show I was trying to think of amongst the others, I didn't like Blake's 7 so that follows I guess, it has the same cheap set feel and bad acting. The exception is Roger Cross, I feel his talent is fettered by bad characterisation in this, he's really great in Continuum and Motive!

What pained me was that after I watched this, the trailer advertising this earlier on the SPACE channel happily announcing that it was from "the writers who brought you Stargate" made me wonder if anyone who had never seen Stargate would want to see what it was about after seeing this offering!

So that broken up image was David Hewlett? I just thought it was funny that a jumbled up video recording of some person happened to remind me of him!

Captain

It was okay, wasn't great, wasn't awful. I will at least watch part 2 before deciding whether to watch any more. The biggest problem so far I thought was that none of the characters stood out (except the android, who I suspect could end up very irritating), and well, so far it's just very.....vanilla, the plot, the characters, the setting, it all feels a bit ho hum, seen it all before. On the plus side I quite like the design and look of the show.

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
    I thought the acting was bad for most of the actors. The black guy from 24 was the only good actor. The girl with blue hair was ok also but she didn't get much camera time. The lady playing the android I've seen before and hated her work on Lost Girl. Her lack of range might work for a android though.

The story was good. I did like the reveal in the second episode at the end. Probably should have combined ep 1 and ep 2 into one thread since they aired back to back.

I didn't hate the show so I'll stick around. I think the show will pickup. I can see the potential the show has.
    Hey, Baron, you never did tell us how you saw the second half of the pilot last week. You say you didn't hate it, but I was wondering if like me you were thinking it was so boring it just seemed like two hours.

Probie

Did not like it.
    Acting for the most part was bad.
    Timing of scenes and actors actions was terrible.
    The ship looked like something in a cartoon. Hated it.

Will watch again sometime to see if they refine it. To much like Firefly.

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

We'll find out in a few hours

Either it'll be worth watching or it won't

Personally (mod hat off) I just hope folks that hate it and refuse to watch it....don't show up in the episode threads every week to reiterate how much they hate the show they aren't watching. If a person's not watching it, they can stop commenting on it and leave those that are enjoying it in peace.