Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Expanse on SyFy: Discussion - Spoilers.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange decision imo, but I guess less waiting is a good thing for me

Comment

Same reason other networks have released premieres online ahead of time. To get reviews on websites and social media, to create some buzz for the show.

Comment

Just finished reading the last book that's been published so far. I really hope this is done well, does well and gets to explore the source material properly.

Not sure what to read now... next book not out till June/July

Comment

(Long time since I've visited this site) The first episode was shown at both San Diego Comic Con and NY Comic Con. I saw it both times. There was some tweaking between them. I haven't read the books, but a lot of people at the screenings had and they were pleased.

I really liked it. It's a real attempt to do space right. My one fear is that people accustomed to "artificial gravity" space shows aren't going to dig it.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant View Post
            (Long time since I've visited this site) The first episode was shown at both San Diego Comic Con and NY Comic Con. I saw it both times. There was some tweaking between them. I haven't read the books, but a lot of people at the screenings had and they were pleased.

I really liked it. It's a real attempt to do space right. My one fear is that people accustomed to "artificial gravity" space shows aren't going to dig it.
            Hopefully things like Gravity, The Martian, Interstellar and Extant have somewhat prepared scifi audiences for zero-g and spin g in productions. But I do agree, this show could fail miserably if the zero-g / low-g scenes aren't pulled off well. Having read all the source material now, there will be no getting away from a lot of zero-g scenes that will require good choreography and SFX

Comment

Don't forget. You can see the pilot episode tonight on various streaming platforms. Starting at 12:10AM EST, and according to several tweets and FB posts, you can adjust that for whatever time zone you are in. If that is correct, I can watch at 11:01PM. It is geo-locked to the US (and maybe Canada, not sure), but I'll bet there are those who know how to get around that.

Comment

I watched it on YouTube last night, since that was the link several of the production staff posted on Twitter, but it's been taken down for some reason. I haven't taken the time to check all the other venues that are supposed to be providing it except for Hulu (not there last time I checked) and Amazon (it's listed, but at $1.99). But you can watch in on syfy.com.

http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/videos/101-dulcinea

I need to watch it again before giving my opinion, although it is mostly positive. They crammed a lot of story into this pilot, and I'm not sure it was a good idea to end it the way they did, rather than let that event be in the second episode.

Comment

Several people have said that his link works worldwide - https://www.facebook.com/ExpanseSyfy...c_location=ufi

Comment

The series looks good but I´m not sold on the casting yet.

Comment

Out of curiosity, who do you not like that was cast?

Never read the books so it doesn't matter to me.
                      sigpic

Comment

Its not really that I don't like them, they just don't match up to my idea of how they should look like. I know part of the problem is that some characters like Naomi are almost impossible to cast right but I guess I just wished that they had cast smaller actors for Earthers and taller ones for Belters and then said they were all taller than in real life

To get really nit picky I thought that the guy who is playing Amos wasn't brutish enough but to be fair we hardly saw him in this episode so I don't know for sure.

Alex should have been a bit older.

Also it could be that I simply over looked the description of Naomi in the book where they mention her skin color but I've always pictured her as white so that's a bit jarring, also her hair (which is often mention in the books) isn't right.

Miller is probably the biggest miss casting imo (though Tom Jane is an actor I like). I always saw Miller as someone who was down beaten and uncool, but the show seems to be trying to make him cool which really doesn't fit. So this may be more of a complaint about writing than about casting or acting.

None of these complaints are about the actors acting abilities and hopefully they will manage to win me over. I know that I had similar thoughts about the cast of Game of Thrones and there for the most part the actors are now how I see the characters.

I´ll also say that I wish that they were staying a bit closer to the source material as some of the changes they made are not for the better imo.

Comment

The only one that seems off is Wes Chatham as Amos Burton, not that he's a bad actor or anything, I think I've only seen him in a small part in Mockingjay Part 1, but based on the back-story for the character he seems much too young. He should be at least ten years older, be bigger, and have a low-voice and gruff exterior. While reading the books I always visualized Domenick Lombardozzi, who played Herc on HBO's The Wire.

After checking, Chatham was in The Help, but I don't remember him and didn't care for that movie. Plus he's only 2 1/2 years younger than Lombardozzi.

Comment

Naomi is part black, part Asian heritage of some sort, definitely dark complexion.

I think everything is very close to the source material, with the only exception being Avasarala in the first season whereas she didn't appear until the second book. But I am sure that was so that they could have an Earth presence on the show, as opposed to it being only in the Belt and beyond in the first book.

Comment

Ok, I thought that was my bad. I guess over the years I forgot that detail

Comment

Slow opening episode.

Couldn't understand some of the dialogue either seem bit muzzle.

Looking forward to seeing where it going.

CGI probably the best I seen on syfy todate. I was kinda expecting more for 5 million an episode.

Comment

Working...
                                X