Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    Second Lieutenant

Default Re: The Expanse on SyFy

Normally that would be true, but most other networks will be in repeat mode at that time, and tying it to the premiere of Childhood's End should be good for both.

Second Lieutenant
    10.000 light years from Earth and going farther

Quote Originally Posted by ecgordon View Post
    Normally that would be true, but most other networks will be in repeat mode at that time, and tying it to the premiere of Childhood's End should be good for both.
    Perhaps but airing only two episodes and then going into a two weeks break before the viewers can decide if the show is worth watching (and you can't decide that on 2 episodes except if it is very bad) doesn't look like a wise decision.
    As for the tying with Childhood's end i think it will help more childhood's end (since many viewers thse days don't seem to know it!) than The Expanse.

Second Lieutenant
    10.000 light years from Earth and going farther

Quote Originally Posted by ecgordon View Post
    Perhaps but airing only two episodes and then going into a two weeks break before the viewers can decide if the show is worth watching (and you can't decide that on 2 episodes except if it is very bad) doesn't look like a wise decision.
    As for the tying with Childhood's end i think it will help more childhood's end (since many viewers these days don't seem to know it!) than The Expanse.

Probie

Probie

http://geekritique.net/2015/10/09/th...pisode-review/

It has a 5 million per episode budget. Can good space opera be done on this budget?

Second Lieutenant

Considering Farscape, BSG, and even Firefly were produced for roughly 2 million per ep, I don't see the problem. Sure, inflation is a factor, but CGI technology has also increased so that effects can be done very well for less than before. Plus, most of the CGI will be able to be reused throughout the series, figured into the up-front costs of the pilot and not in the per episode budget.

EDIT: I just remembered that $5 million was the budget for the theatrical feature Moon, directed by Duncan Jones and starring Sam Rockwell. That looked pretty good to me.

Captain

More is sometimes less, i.e. the higher the budget, the crappier the content, looking at you Avatar...

Quote Originally Posted by N7OperativeAlpha View Post
    http://geekritique.net/2015/10/09/th...pisode-review/

It has a 5 million per episode budget. Can good space opera be done on this budget?
    Yes. But that a lot of money to spend on a program for Syfy. Put into perspective, Games of Thrones have the same kind of per episode budget, sometimes it goes into 6/7 million on a episode, Expanse has the advantage of not having to do nearly as many location shots. It should be fairly easy to reuse cg footage. Of cause I'm sure those will be counter by the cost of doing fairly expensive to do zero g scenes.
    Last edited by knowles2; October 18th, 2015 at 06:53 AM.

Hmmm...this seems intriguing. I'm looking forward to it coming out.

Second Lieutenant

Now we only have to wait three weeks.

http://www.nbcumv.com/news/syfy-debu...ay-november-23

Strange decision imo, but I guess less waiting is a good thing for me

Second Lieutenant

Same reason other networks have released premieres online ahead of time. To get reviews on websites and social media, to create some buzz for the show.

Probie

Just finished reading the last book that's been published so far. I really hope this is done well, does well and gets to explore the source material properly.

Not sure what to read now... next book not out till June/July

Major

(Long time since I've visited this site) The first episode was shown at both San Diego Comic Con and NY Comic Con. I saw it both times. There was some tweaking between them. I haven't read the books, but a lot of people at the screenings had and they were pleased.

I really liked it. It's a real attempt to do space right. My one fear is that people accustomed to "artificial gravity" space shows aren't going to dig it.

Probie

Quote Originally Posted by MediaSavant View Post
    (Long time since I've visited this site) The first episode was shown at both San Diego Comic Con and NY Comic Con. I saw it both times. There was some tweaking between them. I haven't read the books, but a lot of people at the screenings had and they were pleased.

I really liked it. It's a real attempt to do space right. My one fear is that people accustomed to "artificial gravity" space shows aren't going to dig it.
    Hopefully things like Gravity, The Martian, Interstellar and Extant have somewhat prepared scifi audiences for zero-g and spin g in productions. But I do agree, this show could fail miserably if the zero-g / low-g scenes aren't pulled off well. Having read all the source material now, there will be no getting away from a lot of zero-g scenes that will require good choreography and SFX

Second Lieutenant

Don't forget. You can see the pilot episode tonight on various streaming platforms. Starting at 12:10AM EST, and according to several tweets and FB posts, you can adjust that for whatever time zone you are in. If that is correct, I can watch at 11:01PM. It is geo-locked to the US (and maybe Canada, not sure), but I'll bet there are those who know how to get around that.

Second Lieutenant

I watched it on YouTube last night, since that was the link several of the production staff posted on Twitter, but it's been taken down for some reason. I haven't taken the time to check all the other venues that are supposed to be providing it except for Hulu (not there last time I checked) and Amazon (it's listed, but at $1.99). But you can watch in on syfy.com.

http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/videos/101-dulcinea

I need to watch it again before giving my opinion, although it is mostly positive. They crammed a lot of story into this pilot, and I'm not sure it was a good idea to end it the way they did, rather than let that event be in the second episode.

Second Lieutenant

Several people have said that his link works worldwide - https://www.facebook.com/ExpanseSyfy...c_location=ufi

The series looks good but I´m not sold on the casting yet.

Out of curiosity, who do you not like that was cast?

Never read the books so it doesn't matter to me.