Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Expanse on SyFy: Discussion - Spoilers.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Expanse on SyFy: Discussion - Spoilers.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/12/syfy-the-expanse/

If you can believe it, Syfy may be getting back to its pre-name change roots. A notable addition to its plans for the next year is a new TV series based on a popular series of sci-fi books known as The Expanse. The first book Leviathan Wakes snagged nominations in 2012 for the Hugo Award for Best Novel and Locus Award for Best Science Fiction Novel. Set 200 years in the future, it focuses on a ship captain and detective searching for a missing young woman, with a sprawling story and scope that have netted comparisons to both Star Wars and Game of Thrones. We'd be more than pleasantly surprised if it reached anywhere near those heights, but Syfy president Dave Howe is claiming this is the network's "most ambitious series to date."

The books are written under the pseudonym James S.A. Corey by Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck, who will be among the show's producers. Whatever happens with the show, we'll get the full 10-episode season Syfy ordered based on a script by Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby (Children of Men -- sort of, Iron Man) who are the show's writers and executive producers. Whether it is anything like Game of Thrones it's at least a return to Battlestar Galactica-style scifi for the network instead of a new series of Celebrity Ghost Stalker Makeup Artists. Syfy alone is also working on new series 12 Monkeys, Dominion, Ascension and the second season of Helix, which combined with Netflix's Sense8 from the Wachowskis, Amazon's The After from X-Files creator Chris Carter and the return of Heroes on NBC next year make this an interesting time to be a sci-fi fan.
    I´m really looking forward to this series. The books have been fantastic and since the authors are involved I´m hoping that the show manages to stay true to the source material.

I´m also glad that Syfy is making a real sci-fi show again

new Sci Fi, I'm in
    Last Movie Watched
    X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
    Life is Strange

Comment

Sweet! I'm reading the series right now and I was just thinking "I wonder if they've made a movie of this". It's the type of Sci-Fi that really lends itself to the motion picture format IMO. Unashamed space opera set in our own solar system (so no FTL travel yet), full of inter-planetary politics and destroyer class ships and alien boogey monsters. I'm excited!

And yes, about time Syfy moved to better "fiction" than reality TV and wrestling.

Comment

I'm really looking forward to this series as well. I have the first book, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet.
        sigpic

Comment

Spoiler for scenes from the second book, Caliban's War

Spoiler:
          A scene I'm really looking forward to seeing done visually is when the protomolecule on Venus completely dismantles the earth ship sent to monitor it down to it's nuts and bolts

Comment

I do wonder if the show will do "One season = one book" or if this series will have multiple seasons based around the first book.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
              I do wonder if the show will do "One season = one book" or if this series will have multiple seasons based around the first book.
              Given that there 6 books, one season = one book doesn't fit Syfy rule of cancelling everything after season 4 or 5. Plus there various short stories as well.

Comment

The first book was unbelievably boring. I think I gave up after 50 pages or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Krichton View Post
                  The first book was unbelievably boring. I think I gave up after 50 pages or so.
                  It got a lot better.

Comment

The show has just cast its first major role

http://www.blastr.com/2014-7-11/syfy...found-its-star

I like the choice, Jane is good actor and definitely shows that Syfy is putting some effort into this series.

Comment

I see him more as Holden than Miller, but still a good choice. So I wonder now who they will get to play Jim Holden.

Comment

Oh please let SyFy bring lots more sci-fi back! I'm enjoying Defiance greatly. I love Space's Orphan Black and Showcase's Continiuum.
                        Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

"The Expanse" looks like it will be the only "space based" sci-fi series in production. Hopefully it will turn out great and keep going for years

Comment

Very cool news

Wulfmann

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
                              "The Expanse" looks like it will be the only "space based" sci-fi series in production. Hopefully it will turn out great and keep going for years
                              Nope, Syfy has the Killjoys coming. They just announce it cast today. An at least one more coming from syfy, so that three in all.
                              An Joe Mallozzi have just begun prep on his new show, pretty much confirm as new space opera, and most likely base on his Dark Matter comic. Probably a amazon or Netflix funded show reading between the lines, we will learn more during comic con.

After years in in the doldrums, Space opera is coming back with a bang, not just on tv either, games and movies have a couple coming out over the next year as well.
                              Last edited by knowles2; 22 July 2014, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X