X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Future Space Force/Navy

Hey all,

Let's say its 2060 and we've made tremendous progress and we have a space force, the military in space. What do you think would happen or what do you think we'd call them? Do you think we'd still have the US Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force and a Space Navy/Marines? Do you think the US Navy or US Air Force would have the added responsibilities of maintaining space superiority? Currently the US Air Force is responsible for that but mind you, we don't have an active fleet of space ships (not that I know of anyways). But when we do what do you think it would be like?

Just for the sake of this conversation I am referring to the US only. But do you think we'd have a unified command like a UN Space Command or Earth Space Command? What do you think it'd be like? Like Starfleet or more militarized? Obviously in 2060 we'd still be in our infancy of manned space travel but surely we'll have some kind of space force or space navy...

So.. We've made so much progress with space technology that we're going to start killing each other in space as well as on Earth?

Since we don't know of any hostile alien races, why would we need a military presence in space? Especially as we would still be limited to our own solar system..

Maintaining space superiority.. Space does not belong to the United States. Never has. NASA has that 'for the good of all mankind' thing going on so.. Do you just want to claim space in the name of your country? Someone wasn't paying attention in history class.. Going around claiming land never works out well in the long term.
    Last edited by Pharaoh Hamenthotep; 06 May 2015, 12:45 AM.

Comment

You obviously can't claim space as it is international law that you can't, with that being said the USAF is tasked with space superiority which means its their job to have the best space equipment, from satellites to spaceships in the future. We all know we will be in space soon enough whether it is a lunar colony or mars colony, we will need a military presence. Not to mention if Aliens do come here, we don't want to be blindsided with an alien invasion and nothing in space to defend ourselves with. After all why did we have Prometheus and Daedalus and the Odyssey? Planetary Defense was the main reason.

But eventually we will move beyond our solar system to Alpha Centauri and by then we will need a military presence since by then chances are people will have their own spacecraft like in Star Wars or Star Trek and we'll need to be able to police space...

Comment

Why will we need a military presence in space? We don't know of any alien civilisations.

And any alien race capable of travelling here would have technology FAR superior to our own. We would be like ants fighting an atomic bomb.

Again with the space superiority stuff. Can you imagine what humanity would be capable of if we put aside our petty differences and actually started working together?

So, in the absence of aliens you suggest we move to a new star system but keep the old wars alive? What would be the point? Fighting over land claims on a now distant planet?

If all humanity has to offer the galaxy is war and death, then maybe it's a good thing we're Earthbound for the foreseeable future.

You know Stargate isn't real right? We don't actually have those ships..
        Last edited by Pharaoh Hamenthotep; 06 May 2015, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Again not getting the point and this was obviously hypothetical. Obviously stargate is a show but then there is always solar warden which is a secret space program for planetary defense. Is that real? Who knows but they make my case. So step back and take a good look at it, when we have spacecraft, the military will be the first ones in space, not NASA just Military. Whether or not its US Military or a UN Space Command or whathaveyou, they'll be first. I think its pretty safe to say that if we did have alien contact then the US Military would know about it, especially if Roswell and other UFO cover ups were real.

Comment

Originally posted by jfarrell327 View Post
            Again not getting the point and this was obviously hypothetical. Obviously stargate is a show but then there is always solar warden which is a secret space program for planetary defense. Is that real? Who knows but they make my case. So step back and take a good look at it, when we have spacecraft, the military will be the first ones in space, not NASA just Military. Whether or not its US Military or a UN Space Command or whathaveyou, they'll be first. I think its pretty safe to say that if we did have alien contact then the US Military would know about it, especially if Roswell and other UFO cover ups were real.
            It would be civilian, so NASA, ESA or a mix of many international space agencies all together like the ISS.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
              Why will we need a military presence in space? We don't know of any alien civilisations.
              Because if we don't, our enemies (China, former Soviet Union states, eventually middle eastern countries) will have one, and that will give them a strategic advantage in earth-based conflicts?

Or do you think the Human race is suddenly going to go all peaceful after thousands of years of killing each other? I've got better odds of winning the lottery, and I don't waste my money playing it.

And any alien race capable of travelling here would have technology FAR superior to our own. We would be like ants fighting an atomic bomb.
              You're absolutely right on that one. Game over before it ever starts. And we lose.

Comment

China has no logical reason to attack you, and they are not your enemy. They manufacture all of your electronic goods. If they attack you their economy collapses and they lose too.

So because humans have been fighting each other for thousands of years we have to keep fighting in the future? At what point do we let go of all the anger of the past?

Comment

China has no logical reason to attack you, and they are not your enemy. They manufacture all of your electronic goods. If they attack you their economy collapses and they lose too.

So because humans have been fighting each other for thousands of years we have to keep fighting in the future? At what point do we let go of all the anger of the past?
                  Absolutely right. And so far, space has been the one bastion that has been able to get away from Earth based conflict. Just look at the ISS: Russia has been provoking tensions to a near Cold War level and yet the US, European Union and US are able to put aside their differences for the sake of using Russia's Soyuz rockets to ferry astronauts up there. Aside from Spy Satellites (which everybody has) space stands apart from the petty politics on the ground, and that includes your so called "enemies".

(Sorry PH, I know that's quoted to you there, but read it as a addition to your statement addressed to Annoyed. )
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                    Absolutely right. And so far, space has been the one bastion that has been able to get away from Earth based conflict. Just look at the ISS: Russia has been provoking tensions to a near Cold War level and yet the US, European Union and US are able to put aside their differences for the sake of using Russia's Soyuz rockets to ferry astronauts up there. Aside from Spy Satellites (which everybody has) space stands apart from the petty politics on the ground, and that includes your so called "enemies".

(Sorry PH, I know that's quoted to you there, but read it as a addition to your statement addressed to Annoyed. )
                    This goes to PH too.

You are both more optimistic about our species than I am.

At what point do we let go of all the anger of the past?
                    At what point will various religions stop trying to ensure their salvation by forcibly saving everyone else around them? And I'm not just talking about current religious conflicts. Many of the worlds religions have engaged in wars of conquest/conversion in the past.

At what point do various nutjobs & fruitcakes stop trying to take over their neighbors or the world? Adolph Hitler & Friends' romp was less then 100 years ago.

Just look at the ISS: Russia has been provoking tensions to a near Cold War level and yet the US, European Union and US are able to put aside their differences for the sake of using Russia's Soyuz rockets to ferry astronauts up there.
                    Do you recall what happened at the start of 2010 Odyssey Two? Yes, I know, that was a movie. But I wouldn't be surprised if it happens for real if something goes far enough sideways here on the ground. I think we (U.S) are making a mistake with that deal.

I'm sorry, but I don't think we as a species can leave our violent tendencies behind just yet. If man moves into space, he will bring his military with him. Our violent tendencies are as much a part of us as breathing. We wouldn't have survived and flourished without them.
                    Last edited by Annoyed; 06 May 2015, 04:11 PM. Reason: minor clarification

Comment

I agree with Annoyed. We are a warmongering species, it is who we are, sadly. Sure we have the UN and whatever but they have no real power. Look at Russia, they unleashed their new tanks just yesterday, they keep sending their bomber jets to test NATO's response and just to push us to show us their "might." I mean come on, America is like the most hated country in the world, at least in the top 5. However we are currently the only superpower and as such we have the largest military and a very large budget, we may be in debt, but every country has debt.

I agree China may not do anything, they may have 3:1 odds on us as far as their population goes but we can put up a fight and most likely win with just what we have now. We have advanced technology that we don't flaunt, we keep it secret so no other country knows thereby giving us the element of surprise to mess with any other countries plans. We have a fleet of ships in every major ocean and near every conflicting region. We have submarines, ships, military bases and so on in every continent except for Antarctica (obviously).

We have, most likely, the most advanced technology and are the strongest nation on the planet. We won't let other nations outdo us on any field, especially space. We may have weapons to destroy spaceships, ones we could eventually make, most likely not strong enough for alien ships though. But even if another country beats us and has a ship in orbit which could attack anywhere from orbit, that is a threat we won't take lightly, we may very well destroy it, not to mention we could nuke the hell out of any other country and have plenty of warheads left.

Now as we proceed through this century we will discover and unlock many different technological advancements. From nanotechnology to eventually picotechnology, space technology, biotechnology, well you get the point. We will be dealing with things that our society will have to adjust too and we know from well now that the private sector is already making progress on space technology. Space X is bringing cargo and supplies to the ISS and of course many want to make the first space ship that can go to the moon and mars and explore our solar system, in detail.

Eventually we will have ships that people can buy for themselves and for cargo and whatever therefore we will have a military force or a space "police" something like that. But I definitely know that the US Military will by then want spaceships, to defend our nation and enforce our laws just as we do in the ocean and in international waters. Space is no different, it may be way way way way way more vast but it is still similar to the ocean. It can't be claimed by any one nation, no planets or moons or asteroids can be under current international space law.

Eventually we will run into aliens and we need to be ready for that day, whether their intention is hostile or friendly, we still have the proper defenses to secure our planet and any future colonies, like the eventual lunar base and/or Mars colony. Like Star Wars they had a military in spaceships to enforce "galactic laws," it won't be any different for us except on a smaller scale and they'll be enforcing international laws and national laws, just like ships do in our oceans today.

Comment

I agree with Annoyed. We are a warmongering species, it is who we are, sadly. Sure we have the UN and whatever but they have no real power. Look at Russia, they unleashed their new tanks just yesterday, they keep sending their bomber jets to test NATO's response and just to push us to show us their "might." I mean come on, America is like the most hated country in the world, at least in the top 5. However we are currently the only superpower and as such we have the largest military and a very large budget, we may be in debt, but every country has debt.
                        That's one thing I neglected to point out. If it is a given that there will be sticks, in my obviously biased view, we (The U.S.) should do whatever is needed to ensure that we have the biggest stick.
                        And we certainly are the most hated country in the world, except when someone wants our help.

We have, most likely, the most advanced technology and are the strongest nation on the planet. We won't let other nations outdo us on any field, especially space.
                        Umm.. we can't really say that, with the current leadership of the country. Our current leadership tends to apologize for our status and works to lower that status, not raise it.

Comment

>>>"Going around claiming land never works out well in the long term."

Yeah, but everybody always does it. History would be quite boring, otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                            Umm.. we can't really say that, with the current leadership of the country. Our current leadership tends to apologize for our status and works to lower that status, not raise it.
                            Well, that is what happens when you vote for a democrat to be our President... President Bush had no problem taking military action, that is what we ought to do, what is the point of having a big military if you don't use it when you need too? Obama is a pushover especially when it comes to Russia or North Korea, we have to send them a message, show them we're not just going to diddle our fingers and do nothing when threatened. I personally like Russia and President Putin, but I don't like our President.

Comment

Well, that is what happens when you vote for a democrat to be our President... President Bush had no problem taking military action, that is what we ought to do, what is the point of having a big military if you don't use it when you need too? Obama is a pushover especially when it comes to Russia or North Korea, we have to send them a message, show them we're not just going to diddle our fingers and do nothing when threatened. I personally like Russia and President Putin, but I don't like our President.
                              ikr? esp. when it seems that Putin has more brass ones than our prez

Comment

Working...
                              X