Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helix Cancelled

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...anceled-792473
    Helix will not live to see a third season.

Syfy has opted to cancel the drama after two seasons, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Balls.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

not like we didn't see it coming I guess
      Last Movie Watched
      X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
      Life is Strange

Comment

Well, it was expected, no show can survive with 500k viewers and a 0.15 rating. But i will not shed any tears.This show started with a great premise and it became ridiculously bad very quickly.

Comment

I watched the first season but the last 6-7 eps was forcing myself to watch.. didn't even look at it in season 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
            I watched the first season but the last 6-7 eps was forcing myself to watch.. didn't even look at it in season 2.
            i agree

Comment

Not at all surprised based on its ratings. I really enjoyed the second season for the most part and would have watched a third if they had chosen to make one (though I didn't like how it almost felt like the 2nd season was trying to be a different show with the same characters, and how it seemed like the show didn't know what to do with certain characters, so those characters were given very little to do, or were given things to do that seemed out of character or that made little sense based on what was presented last season; I'm mainly speaking of Sergio, Hatake, and present day Julia). Still, I'm going to miss the show, its crazy weirdness, and its characters.
              sigpic

Comment

The premice with the 500 immortals was great ( reminds me of Poul Anderson's book The boat of a million years) and the original setting in the arctic was also great but the producers clearly didn't know what to do with them. Weirdness can save a show for one season but not for two let alone three.

Comment

^I basically agree with that, but I did still like the second season (to be clear, just because I liked the series and will miss it, doesn't mean I think that it should have been renewed in spite of poor ratings).

Contains spoilers for things that happened during season 2.
                  Spoiler:
                  The whole thing with Illaria and the Immortals was my favorite part of the series and I preferred the arctic setting a bit more over the island setting (though I did like the island setting and storyline and I loved how it jumped back and forth between the present and the future). I think that the second season was better written (overall) than the first though, but it probably would have worked better if they had picked up where the first one left off (or at least explained within a couple of episodes what happened to the characters from last season). The way it was set up it felt like it they were almost pretending the certain things from the first season didn't happen or hoped that the audience would forget a lot of what happened last season (it felt like they picked what they liked and dropped what they didn't, no matter if it made sense to drop it or not).

Last season Illaria went all out to get the Narvik from the arctic base because the were so desperate for population control, yet this season they had a little Immortal girl meet Julia in the park while walking her dog to send Julia (and Sergio as Julia's personal bodyguard) to fetch Michael's sterilization technique (a sterilization process that sounds so much simpler than a virus, you'd think that Illaria would have been all over that already), why not go themselves or send the Scythe or someone else with more experience? That whole thing seemed so contrived and it really felt like they had no clue what to do with Julia or Sergio (they did almost nothing with him even though the actor was under contract and a part of the main cast for the entire season) and that was all that they could come up with in order for them to be involved in the present day storyline. It's possible that they were planning on explaining all that during a third season it had been renewed, but based on how they handled things between the first and second season, they probably wouldn't have.
                  sigpic

Comment

A big problem with the way they handled the immortal story is that they never gave us even a hinge of Illaria'a motivations.Why after all they wanted to control the population?
                    Last edited by pakar; 01 May 2015, 02:33 PM.

Comment

I think it's been mentioned, at least by Julia (I think) towards the end of the season that their are too many humans and that they're ruining the planet or something like that (or maybe that's just what she was told). The Immortals are the ones who have to live with the consequences of the mortals actions long term. There was also some animosity towards the mortals because they persecuted the Immortals in the past. I wish we'd gotten more history on the Immortals and Illaria though.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
                        I think it's been mentioned, at least by Julia (I think) towards the end of the season that their are too many humans and that they're ruining the planet or something like that (or maybe that's just what she was told). The Immortals are the ones who have to live with the consequences of the mortals actions long term. There was also some animosity towards the mortals because they persecuted the Immortals in the past. I wish we'd gotten more history on the Immortals and Illaria though.
                        I don't find this a conveincing motivation

Comment

Originally posted by pakar View Post
                          I don't find this a conveincing motivation
                          I didn't have a problem with it. Overpopulation and ruining the environment and the world through war and whatever else would be a concern for a group of people who who can possibly live forever. They've lived through a lot already, and I don't have trouble believing that some of them are arrogant enough to think that they know best and think that they have a right to shape they world for everyone. Some of the Immortals had to watch their loved ones tortured and/or killed by mortals in the past because they thought they were witches or whatever. If they were discovered in today's world they would probably be experimented on to find out what makes them immortal.There are only 500 of them and billions of people, I think it makes sense that they'd want to even things out a bit and control the population/breeding process too. We'll just have to agree to disagree.
                          sigpic

Comment

Arrogant enough to kill many million of people? i would find it more conviencing ( and interesting) for them to want to be the leaders of humanity because thanks to their centuries (or even millenia) of life they have the experiences and wisdom to lead humanity in another road without killing millions of people. Of course it's just an opinion.

Comment

The show showed that they didn't all have the same agenda. Hatake definitely didn't want to kill the mortals.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X