Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thunderbirds Are Go! : The Thunderbirds Reboot

Hello All,
    Has anyone here on Gateworld been watching or has caught the new series/reboot of Thunderbirds titled 'Thunderbirds Are Go!' airing on CITV here in the UK?

The series is now four episodes into its run and I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or feelings about it.

When I heard about a 'reboot' I was initially skeptical about it. And worried that they would ruin a childhood favourite. I caught the premier on the repeat showing and I was impressed with the insider nods and in jokes to the original series and other Gerry Anderson series.

The reimagined Thunderbirds are also pleasing, in my opinion, to the eye. Thunderbird 2's folding wings answering a problem that was raised in the 'original' version.

But my only complaint, so far, is that they have changed the theme tune from something instantly recognisable. To... Well lets say I don't like it. I would have prefered an up tempo version of Barry Gray's original.

So does anyone else have any thoughts? If so please share them.
    "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
    Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
    Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
    Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
    I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
    To thy own self... Be true
    May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Originally posted by Starfist View Post
    Hello All,
    Has anyone here on Gateworld been watching or has caught the new series/reboot of Thunderbirds titled 'Thunderbirds Are Go!' airing on CITV here in the UK?

The series is now four episodes into its run and I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or feelings about it.

When I heard about a 'reboot' I was initially skeptical about it. And worried that they would ruin a childhood favourite. I caught the premier on the repeat showing and I was impressed with the insider nods and in jokes to the original series and other Gerry Anderson series.

The reimagined Thunderbirds are also pleasing, in my opinion, to the eye. Thunderbird 2's folding wings answering a problem that was raised in the 'original' version.

But my only complaint, so far, is that they have changed the theme tune from something instantly recognisable. To... Well lets say I don't like it. I would have prefered an up tempo version of Barry Gray's original.

So does anyone else have any thoughts? If so please share them.
    I'm liking it quite a lot too. The new designs for the craft look badass but are also instantly recognizable and carry all the same tools as the originals.

Personally I love the new music. I mean they still use Barry Gray's theme for the titles so that does me. And to be fair the music they use for the rest of the episodes still has instances on Barry Gray's.

The only thing I'm not fond of so far is Alan... He comes across as too young. I mean I know he's the youngest brother but nevertheless...

I also feel like they've had a bit of a missed opportunity in the sense that with the whole Jeff mystery they could have easily made the series a continuation of the original rather than a reboot. Afterall you can easily explain the new looks in the craft by having Brains upgrading or replacing the originals.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Is this airing anywhere in the U.S. ?

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
        Is this airing anywhere in the U.S. ?
        I don't know to be honest with you. The U.S. may be getting it but as to who will air it?

Comment

It was one of my favourite shows as a kid! If it ever ends up being aired in Canada I'll give it a go but the original will always be the one for me. It just has that wonderful feel of the 1960's and brings back good childhood memories.

I don't know if I could watch it without the Thunderbirds wobbling along on strings, CGI'd Thunderbirds will be just too slick for me lol!!!

Is Blue Peter still on the air, I've lost touch with things now after 10 years away from the UK? if so, wonder if they'll do the build your own 'Tracey Island' from cardboard and washing up liquid bottles again!

Comment

The instructions are still freely available on the net.

Comment

Now that brings back some memories. I didn't make my own 'Tracy Island'.

Although I do own models of the 'Classic' Thunderbird 2 (with Thunderbird 4) and Thunderbird 3.

Next weeks episode looks like a fun one. Titled 'Fireflash' it looks like it will be a remake of the 1st episode of the 'Classic' series 'Trapped in the Sky'.

Comment

Its playing here in Australia. My opinion. I loved the original series and particularly the puppet work. The series also had surprisingly good story lines, better I would suggest than some adult fare SciFi series.

As for the new series, its taking me a while to get used to it not being puppets...I know crazy. Its like a puppet series not using puppets but still having a puppet feel. Not sure what I think of that. The other concern I have is that they are half hour episodes not hour long ones like the original. It therefore has less time to get into the drama of the story. before you know it, its over.

But look its well made and I quite like it though I feel a little short changed somehow. Worth watching though.

Comment

I'm enjoying the series so far. I especially liked the nod in 'Fireflash' to 'Trapped in the Sky' when they used the 'original' in peril music when they were coming into land.

Comment

Where are you watching this? Someplace in the U.S. ? What network/outlet?

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
                      Where are you watching this? Someplace in the U.S. ? What network/outlet?
                      Probably hasn't reached the US yet. UK ITV show it every saturday morning.

Comment

New episodes of "classic" Thunderbirds are to be made.

"The project makes use of audio recordings first released in 1966 which featured the series’ original voice cast as well as contemporary music and sound effects. Thunderbirds 1965 will see La Rivière and company film faithfully recreated puppets and sets using all of the classic Supermarionation techniques, and combine this with the original audio recordings to create three brand new video episodes in the distinctive Thunderbirds style."

http://www.gerryanderson.co.uk/thund...oad-in-slough/

Comment

Surprisingly i liked the film version with Bill Paxton.

Comment

Hi everyone, This is Thunderbird 2!

I have not been on the forum for quite a while, due to things being quiet on the SGate front. As a serious fan of Thunderbirds TOS, I was both hopeful and wary of the new series. However I have been thoroughly enjoying TAG-15 for the characters and the vehicles. - In places the writing does need some help though.

Re the music, I think they have done a great job. The Foster Brothers who do Dr Who's music have brought new compositions, but kept a true Thunderbirds style. Interestingly, if you hear their full opening titles, it sounds even more like Mr Gray's original. Seems the theme was pruned shorter to go along with the half length 20 min episode duration!

The series is not doing bad, but it has the potential to do more. Oh, and watch out for the toys. They are not bad either!
                            Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
                            Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

Working...
                            X