• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sympathy for the De Vil (419)

Visit the Episode GuideONCE UPON A TIME - SEASON FOUR
    SYMPATHY FOR THE DE VIL
    EPISODE NUMBER - 419
    In fictional 1920s England a young Cruella is confined to her mother's attic until a mysterious stranger arrives and empowers her to challenge her captor. In Storybrooke, Regina gains leverage to keep Gold from interfering with her plan to rescue Robin, but her trip to New York takes the backseat when she and Emma learn that Cruella has kidnapped Henry. (ABC)

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>

This was a really fantastic episode.
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Agreed. That was some interresting and plausible Backstory on Cruella. Too bad she died, I actually liked her character alot. I didn´t really feel sympathy for her though. How she ended up with her mother was most certainly a little disturbing.

Alot of little Background info on the work of the Author, eventhough it doesnt make much sense yet. Who was there first, the Stories or the Author when he calls these realms buckets of fiction.

Things are about to get pretty dark. I wonder if they will tell Emma, but hiding yet another thing from her would be bad as well. Anyhow, Gold now has the Ink for the Quill and Emma looks like she is pretty much on the brink.
      Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
      Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
      There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Remember, the Author's job is to "record", not to actually write the stories. So I'd say the stories came first.
        I love the idea that life is "buckets of fiction". I also think Isaac's character is really interesting, though I'm not really sure who's side he is on. We need another backstory ep on him.

It is a shame that Cruella died. She was really the only interesting Queen Of Darkness(who weren't really nearly as important as I thought they were going to be). She had some of her best moments this episode.

Nice to see that Gold's humanity still prevails. The scene with Belle was really touching, even if she won't remember it. I like the idea that his dark deeds are killing the good in him, it fits together with what we've seen before in the series(examples being Zoso and Regina's threat to Snow about her heart blackening and turning her into a monster).
        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

I liked last nights ep. I liked that they finally had a bad guy who didn't have a sob story Cruella was just bat crap crazy from the start. Makes a nice change.

I am confused by something though. Okay so we know that Snow is not the little annoying goody goodie she wants everyone to think she is but she is responsible for Cora's death and we saw the little black in her heart but no one is scared that she is going to turn all evil. Emma killed Cruella to save her sons life, and what mother wouldn't kill someone threatening their childs life. Emma reason for killing was a better one than Snow having a hand in killing Cora but Emma is going to go to the dark side because of it? Why would killing someone who is threatening their child the point that is going to cause them to be the truly evil?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
            Remember, the Author's job is to "record", not to actually write the stories. So I'd say the stories came first.
            I love the idea that life is "buckets of fiction". I also think Isaac's character is really interesting, though I'm not really sure who's side he is on. We need another backstory ep on him.
            August said though that the Author Records these Stories to give them to People in our Realm. He even mentioned a Guy named Walt. So that kind of contradicts it.

Originally posted by dragongirl View Post
            I am confused by something though. Okay so we know that Snow is not the little annoying goody goodie she wants everyone to think she is but she is responsible for Cora's death and we saw the little black in her heart but no one is scared that she is going to turn all evil. Emma killed Cruella to save her sons life, and what mother wouldn't kill someone threatening their childs life. Emma reason for killing was a better one than Snow having a hand in killing Cora but Emma is going to go to the dark side because of it? Why would killing someone who is threatening their child the point that is going to cause them to be the truly evil?
            Dont forgett she just killed someone completly defensless without knowing it. Cora was a Threat, Cruella really wasnt, even if she made it look that way. She even mentioned in this Episode how she would never hurt a defensless Person. That is going to mess with her head big time.

Edit: Anyone noticed Cruella rocking to her own Song? Kind of funny.
            Last edited by tomstone; 20 April 2015, 10:57 AM.
            Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
            Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald

Comment

It's interesting to see how Emma's appearance is changing during the course of these latest events. She was looking distinctly ill by the time she killed Cruella. Circles under her eyes, even a little red in her eyes. It also looked as though she had no make-up on, and her hair was even sort of greasy and limp. Is this supposed to indicate her turning evil - which I don't think she will do.

Comment

I understand that Cruella was not a real threat since she was unable to kill anyone but how was Emma to know that? To her, or anyone else in her position, Cruella was a very real deadly threat to Henry's life. Just because Emma didn't know that I don't see her turning around and just killing people whenever or for whatever reason.

I noticed her appearance as well that the act of killing Cruella suddenly she is looking evil.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
                  Agreed. That was some interresting and plausible Backstory on Cruella. Too bad she died, I actually liked her character alot. I didn´t really feel sympathy for her though. How she ended up with her mother was most certainly a little disturbing.

Alot of little Background info on the work of the Author, eventhough it doesnt make much sense yet. Who was there first, the Stories or the Author when he calls these realms buckets of fiction.

Things are about to get pretty dark. I wonder if they will tell Emma, but hiding yet another thing from her would be bad as well. Anyhow, Gold now has the Ink for the Quill and Emma looks like she is pretty much on the brink.
                  She certainly seems to be falling right into the dark one's trap.
                  And i Did like both hook and regina trying to talk her down.

As for me, i loved Regina's request of Bell and the whole scene with Belle and Rumple.

Dont forgett she just killed someone completly defensless without knowing it. Cora was a Threat, Cruella really wasnt, even if she made it look that way. She even mentioned in this Episode how she would never hurt a defensless Person. That is going to mess with her head big time.
                  True, but like you said, she had no knowledge at the time that Cruella was defenseless.

Comment

I think the big difference between Emma and Snow going dark.....Emma has magic. If Snow kills she has to do it with her hands, Emma can kill with a thought.
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                      True, but like you said, she had no knowledge at the time that Cruella was defenseless.
                      I know, not knowing however didn't stop her Parents from punishing themselves for what happened to Maleficents baby. Snow even said the Darkness in her heart started back then.
                      Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                      Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald

Comment

Is no one going to bring up Cruella playing Angry Birds?

Also, I absolutely despise Snow for saying that Emma is only the good-hearted Savior because the Apprentice sucked all the evil out of her(wait... how can she go dark then anyway?), rather than she being her own person. Why can't she just be a hero because that's who she grew up to be?

And does no one else find it a little odd that Emma is supposed to go all evil straight away when it took Gold 300 years to get there? How is her heart blackening so fast(I assume it's blackening)?

Comment

Rushy that is what I am trying to figure out. Like I said she did what any parent would do in the same position it isn't like Emma is going to start killing people for no reason.
                          sigpic

Comment

My thought with her playing angry birds....she was doing it wrong. You pull the birds back and let them fly, you don't flick them towards their target like she was doing.
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              My thought with her playing angry birds....she was doing it wrong. You pull the birds back and let them fly, you don't flick them towards their target like she was doing.
                              I had to giggle at that scene!

Comment

Working...
                              X