Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

kurt russel or our beloved Richard Dean Anderson?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
    I'm not trying to be mean, but be honest: how many people do actually think would say, "Why yes, I think the movie characters were far better. I can't understand why people would like RDA's and MS's portrayals."

here's honest

i think RDA would have been terrible in the movie, and i think kurt russel would be terrible in the show

ditto on the daniels

it's not their acting ability, but ability to play the characters as they are... in the movie, o'neil was military and depressed over the death of his son, and IMO RDA wouldn't have done it as well as KR... though russel did get some humor when he's trying to find out where daniel went... and then RDA taking that kind of humor and adding his own and running with it i think is much more watchable over the long term

as for daniel, michael shanks, quite frankly, isn't enough of a geek to play the movie daniel but at the same time james spader, though doing great in the movie, wouldn't be as watchable over a long series either...

the ONLY actor change that i hate to this day is the character of shauri/share... not that i don't understand as IIRC mili avital was doing other things and not all actors want to cross over into tv but i still didn't like share in the show until forever in a day... then she died... oh well... at least amounet was cool

there ya go: my two cents

Comment

Originally posted by emily_reich
      here's honest

i think RDA would have been terrible in the movie, and i think kurt russel would be terrible in the show

ditto on the daniels

it's not their acting ability, but ability to play the characters as they are... in the movie, o'neil was military and depressed over the death of his son, and IMO RDA wouldn't have done it as well as KR... though russel did get some humor when he's trying to find out where daniel went... and then RDA taking that kind of humor and adding his own and running with it i think is much more watchable over the long term

as for daniel, michael shanks, quite frankly, isn't enough of a geek to play the movie daniel but at the same time james spader, though doing great in the movie, wouldn't be as watchable over a long series either...

the ONLY actor change that i hate to this day is the character of shauri/share... not that i don't understand as IIRC mili avital was doing other things and not all actors want to cross over into tv but i still didn't like share in the show until forever in a day... then she died... oh well... at least amounet was cool

there ya go: my two cents
      Didn't Shanks say in an interview he wasn't playing Daniel Jackson but playing James Spader playing Daniel Jackson?

Comment

Originally posted by Shep'sSocks
        Didn't Shanks say in an interview he wasn't playing Daniel Jackson but playing James Spader playing Daniel Jackson?
        Especially in the early episodes, it does feel that way. I liked Spader's geeky Daniel ... and I liked early series geeky Daniel as well .... maybe I just like geeks...

Comment

yes... in the first few seasons, he did a good james spader but if he was still playing the character that way now, it would be getting old...

Comment

Yesterday, I watched the movie and the first episode of the series, back to back. RDA certainly changed the character somewhat, but I think that that can be attributed to Jack O'Neill finding the will to live again. MS played Jackson almost exactly the same as James Spader. I kept wondering what was wrong with Daniels voice, it sounded a little lower than normal (and kept waiting for KR to drop into a Minnesota accent, a la my favorite Russel movie, 'Miracle'. )

Other things between the two were interesting. They did a great job recreating the general look and feel of the movie's base, though the conference room overlooking the Stargate was higher up in the movie.

But the Stargate itself might be the biggest difference: the show's gate looks to be quite a bit bigger than the movie's! And then there's the fact that all gates have the same symbols in the series, which I think rules out the "constellations for location" theory now.

Also intersting in CotG: Walter had hair! Lots of it!

a time to mourn

Comment

lol... yes, when i got the first season way back in april of last year (whew... didn't realize it'd been almost a year!!) i also bought the movie cuz i hadn't seen it for nearly 4 years!!!! i watched them back to back... at first it was weird... but then i realized that each person did best in the medium they had been placed in and the characters carried over and connected very well (that is, you could easily buy that the characters in the movie and show were the same, despite the actors...).... RDA was a bit more sarcastic but not much less stoic through most of the pilot... most of his true flair/spin on the character didn't come til a few eps later...

you could easily buy also that the reason he was so much funnier now was that he'd been able to move on...

Comment

Apples and Oranges.

Kurt Russel has the ability to carry a movie, granted he has been in some god awful movies, the potential is there.

RDA is perfect for television and has proven twice that he can cary a show, I'm not sure what the numbers on McGyver were because I was a kid back then, but I loved that show and am pretty positive the show had some pretty big numbers.

If you are going to make a blockbuster type movie, I think you would need to have a character more like the original movie because as the show is constituted now, it seems all 4 of the main cast members are wise-cracking jokesters.

No offense, I mean I love the show, but I just can't see the SG1 cast making a huge blockbuster movie. The concept of the show would work great in a big budget film, but the cast probably wouldn't. I think the best hope for any SG1 movie would be a direct to DVD SciFi project with a nice budget, I think it would sell very, very well. think it would be interesting if Showtime/HBO(etc... one of those, Showtime seems most relevant considering the ties to the show) and SciFi (if possible, considering parent companies) got together and produced a big movie that would air on Showtime/HBO first, then release on DVD, and then air on SciFi.

As far as TV to movie goes, as I have mentioned before, I would say the cast of Atlantis would make a better movie as consituted today. The story of the Atlantis show would work better too, but you would have to bring them home for a movie to peak a newcomers interest. Just real quick, I think a good opportunity for a big screen flick would be to have the Atlantis team chased home by the Wraith and being forced, of course, to protect Earth.

Ah well, just my quick thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by BruceDickinson
                  Just real quick, I think a good opportunity for a big screen flick would be to have the Atlantis team chased home by the Wraith and being forced, of course, to protect Earth.

that would be interesting and a believable way to get them back to earth and a way to tie in some SG1 folk too even just a big two-part episode a la lost city would be great!

Comment

Working...
                  X