Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Areas in a Ha'tak

Hi,

I'm writing a RPG scenario where the players have to Ring up to a seemingly derelict Ha'tak that is devoid of power and life support. They will need to make their way to the Pel'tak. Rather than draw out the schematics of a 700m starship I'm making a table to roll for a section of ship then they roll for the next part. I have a couple of questions I hope you can help with...

How many levels do you think the pyramid shaped inner core of an Ha'tak has?
    How many levels does the surrounding superstructure have?

The sections you might encounter in the ship are listed below, do you think I've missed any?

Guard station
    Living quarters
    Weapon station
    Glider access
    Hanger
    Tech station (shields, astrogation, power, control)
    Toilets
    Elevator
    Cargo bay
    Training area
    Quartermaster/Stores
    Canteen

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you can share.

Originally posted by RandWulf View Post
    Hi,

I'm writing a RPG scenario where the players have to Ring up to a seemingly derelict Ha'tak that is devoid of power and life support. They will need to make their way to the Pel'tak. Rather than draw out the schematics of a 700m starship I'm making a table to roll for a section of ship then they roll for the next part. I have a couple of questions I hope you can help with...

How many levels do you think the pyramid shaped inner core of an Ha'tak has?
    How many levels does the surrounding superstructure have?

The sections you might encounter in the ship are listed below, do you think I've missed any?

Guard station
    Living quarters
    Weapon station
    Glider access
    Hanger
    Tech station (shields, astrogation, power, control)
    Toilets
    Elevator
    Cargo bay
    Training area
    Quartermaster/Stores
    Canteen

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you can share.
    A ha'tak is said to be roughly 700 meters. Since it's a spaceship and not a skyscraper, let's say half of it is devoted to other things. The other half consists of a sandwich of floor and technical layer (pipes, power lines etc).

so 350/2 = 175m. 175m/3m = 58 storeys.

If you assume a more skyscraper-like form it's gonna be 700/3= 233 storeys. If you assume the sandwich form it's 700/6=116 storeys.

So between 60 and 230 levels depending on how the ha'tak is constructed exactly.

Considering the base-like nature of a Ha'tak (it functions more as a base of operations than a warship), it would have plenty of room for various things.

One last thing: It would likely have dozens to hundreds of Technical Rooms containing pumps, generators, all sorts of regulators and all sorts of stuff you need to support the ship's functions.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
      A ha'tak is said to be roughly 700 meters. Since it's a spaceship and not a skyscraper, let's say half of it is devoted to other things. The other half consists of a sandwich of floor and technical layer (pipes, power lines etc).

If you assume a more skyscraper-like form it's gonna be 700/3= 233 storeys. If you assume the sandwich form it's 700/6=116 storeys.

So between 60 and 230 levels depending on how the ha'tak is constructed exactly.

Considering the base-like nature of a Ha'tak (it functions more as a base of operations than a warship), it would have plenty of room for various things.

One last thing: It would likely have dozens to hundreds of Technical Rooms containing pumps, generators, all sorts of regulators and all sorts of stuff you need to support the ship's functions.
      Thanks for the reply. I favour the sandwich structure. I had forgotten about a technical layer.

According to http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Ha%27tak an Ha'tak is 315m high. It doesn't make it clear if that is the pyramid core but I'm going to assume it is with the surrounding superstructure less in height. Also, looking at the various pictures it looks like the superstructure is not a solid block. Using your sandwich calculation I'm thinking the height varies from 315m (about 50 storeys) within the pyramid down to a much smaller number out on the superstructure. I'll need to look over more pictures to guess what that is. I'm also going to change the table from technical stations to technical rooms and give that more weighting.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post

I did post a reply but nothing appeared so here goes again....

I like your sandwich calculation. I hadn't thought about technical layers. Stargate wiki has an Ha'tak as 315m high but I think that's from pyramid base to tip. If you look at the superstructure around the core it varies in depth, getting thin out at the edges. Hangars will be much higher than a standard floor. I think the number of floors will vary from close to 50 for the pyramid to as low as 10 on the edges.

I take your point about the large array of technical areas so will change "tech stations" to "tech areas" and give a larger weighting in the table.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Apologies for double post.

I'm using this pic for inspiration as it's a reasonable resolution.

http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/12/11562/Done.jpg

Comment

Yea that's why i said it's a spaceship not a skyscraper. getting down the exact details is difficult as every area will be as big as it needs to be, not some standard size. According to the Ship Scaling Sprites thread a ha'tak is ~600 meters. Well i guess your mileage may vary.

I take your point about the large array of technical areas so will change "tech stations" to "tech areas" and give a larger weighting in the table.
            Well i would say both exist. The shows give us "tech stations" which usually have important functions in the ship. e.g. shields. But there would be dozens more technical rooms for smaller, more local yet still important functions. E.g. air circulation to name a basic need. A ha'tak isn't a floating metal hulk, it'll be filled with tons of machinery to perform it's tasks. So it may be good to distinguish between the two.

Comment

Working...
            X