• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heart of Gold (418)

Visit the Episode GuideONCE UPON A TIME - SEASON FOUR
    HEART OF GOLD
    EPISODE NUMBER - 418
    Emma is still reeling after learning the truth of her parents' history with Maleficent, but she must focus on finding the Author, who is running loose in Storybrooke, before Gold does. When Gold's quest for his happy ending grows more urgent, he blackmails Regina into helping him. (ABC)

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>

Strange episode.
    Spoiler:
    i liked how they linked The wicked witch's being alive to emma and hooks time travel from last season, and that SHE is marion (and as such is now in our land).
    I didn't mind the side quest bit with hood going to Oz to get that vial. BUT i actually agreed with "Marion/Zalena".. why did hook have to save gold?

Otherwise this was rather an average to poor episode.

Comment

Oh no.....I am not a fan of Zelena, I was hoping she was truly gone. I have no idea how this is going to play out. I can't wait to see how Regina answers Gold....

Comment

I really enjoyed this episode. So far, Robin Hood and Marion had been woefully underutilized and it's nice to see some attention finally diverted to them. Zelena's return might make little to no sense(very little in this episode does), but Rebecca Mader is by far the sexiest villain on the show(well, unless she's in that awful Wicked Witch makeup) and I was glad to get her back, with as little whining about Regina as possible.

Although the plot wasn't really pushed forward(it's one of those episodes where the plot gets pushed so far ahead we have to rewind and go back) much, it worked as a chance for the audience to just enjoy the OUAT universe on its own terms in a way that we haven't really seen since season 2.

My favourite part of the episode was the Gold/Robin Hood bonding. Carlyle's presence seemed to push Maguire to up his game a little too and the two worked well enough. I almost expected them to shake hands.

Here are the parts I didn't understand:

1. How exactly did Zelena survive?
        2. How did she know to return to the time portal? Why didn't she just rematerialize away from the cell?
        3. Didn't she lose her magic in the season 3 finale?
        4. How exactly does the "wounded heart" thing work? I would've thought that once Rumple crossed the border, his heart became non-magical again and work just like a normal heart.
        5. How did Will Scarlett end up in Oz? Is he the Tin Man?
        6. Why does everyone assume Rumple will go after Robin for not bringing back the potion? Sure, he's not likely to be happy, but all he has to do is not give Robin the promised cash. Which, considering that Robin presumably used the Mad Hatter's hat to get to Oz, is what happened anyway. And if it didn't, why did Rumple not catch Robin the minute he returned?
        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
          I really enjoyed this episode. So far, Robin Hood and Marion had been woefully underutilized and it's nice to see some attention finally diverted to them. Zelena's return might make little to no sense(very little in this episode does), but Rebecca Mader is by far the sexiest villain on the show(well, unless she's in that awful Wicked Witch makeup) and I was glad to get her back, with as little whining about Regina as possible.

Although the plot wasn't really pushed forward(it's one of those episodes where the plot gets pushed so far ahead we have to rewind and go back) much, it worked as a chance for the audience to just enjoy the OUAT universe on its own terms in a way that we haven't really seen since season 2.

My favourite part of the episode was the Gold/Robin Hood bonding. Carlyle's presence seemed to push Maguire to up his game a little too and the two worked well enough. I almost expected them to shake hands.

Here are the parts I didn't understand:

1. How exactly did Zelena survive?
          2. How did she know to return to the time portal? Why didn't she just rematerialize away from the cell?
          3. Didn't she lose her magic in the season 3 finale?
          4. How exactly does the "wounded heart" thing work? I would've thought that once Rumple crossed the border, his heart became non-magical again and work just like a normal heart.
          5. How did Will Scarlett end up in Oz? Is he the Tin Man?
          6. Why does everyone assume Rumple will go after Robin for not bringing back the potion? Sure, he's not likely to be happy, but all he has to do is not give Robin the promised cash. Which, considering that Robin presumably used the Mad Hatter's hat to get to Oz, is what happened anyway. And if it didn't, why did Rumple not catch Robin the minute he returned?
          I really liked the Episode, but I feel like its time for a rewatch since all that happened is becoming to complex for me. Just to answer your Questions though.

1) Zelenas Power was stored and at the same time came from her pendant. When they took it from her she had no more magic, but thats because her essence was seperated from her. When her Magicless body died, the pendant released the remains of Zelena.
          2) When they took it, she was close to finishing the spell. When her essence was released from the Pendant, it was drawn toward the spell that was still pulling magic in order to open the Portal. She did not materialize in the Jail, because she was never really there.
          3) The above. Also now she can really be killed since she is completly seperated from the Pendant. That makes her less powerful.
          4) The wounded heart thing is like Gold said in the Episode. Magical objects maintain their attributes if they are brought to our world. His heart or again his essence was already turned to coal in Storybrooke. The magic maintaining it however stayed in Storybrooke. Also a wounded heart can be emotional or physical.
          5) Tinman is a good possibility, since he was seeking to mend his broken heart and waiting on the Yellow Brick road.
          6) There maybe still a little secret there. We have seen the vile he took from the emerald city 2 times. The first time it appeared pretty much full, but the vile he gave Will was only half at best. Why wouldnt he fill it up to the top? I am sure he took half of it, but since he did not have the money I wonder if he told Rumple. He said he would use the camouflage cristall in case Rumple ever does come.

I cant wait for Reginas answer. It could go either way, but we all know the good guys always win in the end and so does Regina. She might lie or say outright no, but I am sure she will not turn back after everything.
          Last edited by tomstone; 13 April 2015, 10:09 AM.
          Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
          Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
          There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
            I really liked the Episode, but I feel like its time for a rewatch since all that happened is becoming to complex for me. Just to answer your Questions though.

1) Zelenas Power was stored and at the same time came from her pendant. When they took it from her she had no more magic, but thats because her essence was seperated from her. When her Magicless body died, the pendant released the remains of Zelena.
            2) When they took it, she was close to finishing the spell. When her essence was released from the Pendant, it was drawn toward the spell that was still pulling magic in order to open the Portal. She did not materialize in the Jail, because she was never really there.
            3) The above. Also now she can really be killed since she is completly seperated from the Pendant. That makes her less powerful.
            4) The wounded heart thing is like Gold said in the Episode. Magical objects maintain their attributes if they are brought to our world. His heart or again his essence was already turned to coal in Storybrooke. The magic maintaining it however stayed in Storybrooke. Also a wounded heart can be emotional or physical.
            5) Tinman is a good possibility, since he was seeking to mend his broken heart and waiting on the Yellow Brick road.
            6) There maybe still a little secret there. We have seen the vile he took from the emerald city 2 times. The first time it appeared pretty much full, but the vile he gave Will was only half at best. Why wouldnt he fill it up to the top? I am sure he took half of it, but since he did not have the money I wonder if he told Rumple. He said he would use the camouflage cristall in case Rumple ever does come.

I cant wait for Reginas answer. It could go either way, but we all know the good guys always win in the end and so does Regina. She might lie or say outright no, but I am sure she will not turn back after everything.
            While I can sort of buy Zelena's escape(although it's still awfully contrived for the show that said "you can't bring back the dead"), I'm still not buying the "wounded heart" thing. Why would a black heart become "wounded"? And if magic makes it wounded(since this never happens to ordinary people), then how can magic keep it protected as well? It seems that magic is counter-productive. The only way the wounded heart thing would kill someone is if they were magical to begin with and then lost their magic, a pretty rare occasion.

And if he had this wounded heart all along, why didn't it affect him during the 28 magicless years he spent under the Curse?

The "vile" is actually spelled V-I-A-L. Vile means something disgusting. If he told Rumple, why would he come after him? That point you never explained. I liked the explanation behind Robin's different appereance though.
            "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

While I can sort of buy Zelena's escape(although it's still awfully contrived for the show that said "you can't bring back the dead"), I'm still not buying the "wounded heart" thing. Why would a black heart become "wounded"? And if magic makes it wounded(since this never happens to ordinary people), then how can magic keep it protected as well? It seems that magic is counter-productive. The only way the wounded heart thing would kill someone is if they were magical to begin with and then lost their magic, a pretty rare occasion.

And if he had this wounded heart all along, why didn't it affect him during the 28 magicless years he spent under the Curse?

The "vile" is actually spelled V-I-A-L. Vile means something disgusting. If he told Rumple, why would he come after him? That point you never explained. I liked the explanation behind Robin's different appereance though.
              Rumple is the Dark one, as far as we know he had his hand in about every screwed up happy ending there is. Reginas Heart is just Black. It appears these magic hearts can actually turn poisened as Gold described it. If his coal black heart is too hard to believe for you, there is still August who turned to lifeless wood various times inside the magic area. *cough* Electrocution! So its at least possible.

As for why it did not affect him this bad so far, its because he still had a little light in there or Robin gave him the bit of Elixir he had left. The time in cursed Storybrooke he couldnt do much evil, so his condition could not get worse. Also since Bae is Dead and Belle tossed him out even that almost faded.

If Robin gave him the VIAL, why would Rumple still come after him? Because he got him very little. He did not get paid because it was not enough for Rumple. He would need someone to steal more.
              Last edited by tomstone; 13 April 2015, 12:03 PM.
              Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
              Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
              There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by rkgardner2003 View Post
                Oh no.....I am not a fan of Zelena, I was hoping she was truly gone. I have no idea how this is going to play out. I can't wait to see how Regina answers Gold....
                Personally i hope she tells him 'sod off".

Which, considering that Robin presumably used the Mad Hatter's hat to get to Oz, is what happened anyway. And if it didn't, why did Rumple not catch Robin the minute he returned?
                To me it looked like a standing portal, not the same as what we already saw via the mad hatters use.

Comment

while i like the idea of regina/robin, i didn't like the 'easy out' of marian being dead/really zelena.

it *does* solve the problem, though...
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

When Robin was in the Emerald City and he was going through a desk before he found the elixir, he was pushing things around in the desk drawer, and I swear I saw what looked like something in the shape of Mickey Mouse's ears. Anyone else notice this? I'm going to have to go watch the episode again.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post

To me it looked like a standing portal, not the same as what we already saw via the mad hatters use.
                      Firstly, we've seen that the portals appear as doors inside the Mad Hatter's hat and secondly, Will Scarlett said that he'd "landed".

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                        while i like the idea of regina/robin, i didn't like the 'easy out' of marian being dead/really zelena.

it *does* solve the problem, though...
                        While it also irked me off to see her back and Marion being dead, it also made some sense.
                        Though i am surprised neither the kid NOR robin realized it.
                        A glamor only makes one APPEAR to be someone else, not makes them emotionally and mentally that other person.

Comment

I'm kind of surprised Zelena didn't do anything nasty as Marion. I mean, she spent at least several days in Storybrooke.

Comment

I'm kind of surprised Zelena didn't do anything nasty as Marion. I mean, she spent at least several days in Storybrooke.
                            Most of the time she was in Storybrooke, she was frozen and without her heart, so she couldn't do much in that condition.
                            Last edited by hedwig; 16 April 2015, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                              While it also irked me off to see her back and Marion being dead, it also made some sense.
                              Though i am surprised neither the kid NOR robin realized it.
                              A glamor only makes one APPEAR to be someone else, not makes them emotionally and mentally that other person.
                              wasn't the last scene of robin and fakemarion kissing, and the kid lying on the bed and watching, BUT seeing zelena in the mirror?
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X