• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conquer (516)

Visit the Episode GuideTHE WALKING DEAD - SEASON FIVE
    CONQUER
    EPISODE NUMBER - 516
    As Deana prepares to gather the community and pass judgment on Rick, the group considers what to do if things go badly. Daryl and Aaron find themselves in a trap and far from home, Glenn has a showdown with Nicholas, and an old friend returns.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 02 April 2015, 11:40 PM.

Questions? Thoughts? Anyone? ... Anyone?

The episode didn't disappoint. I'll have more to say later. For now, two things...

1) Morgan's back! We've all wondered when Morgan would finally catch up. Yay!

2) There were too many last-second rescues. They were far too convenient.
    a) Morgan saves Daryl and the other guy a split second before they would have been killed (and let's be honest, anything less than death would have been cheating -- we've seen countless people die in those exact same circumstances. Good thing Morgan showed up one second early!).

b) Maggie appears at the last second to stop Sasha from (maybe) killing Gabriel

c) Pete murders Deanna's husband in the nick of time to prove to Deanna that Rick was right about Pete, about the need to confront and (if necessary) kill him. Perfect timing, Pete! (Helped along by Carol, true. She gave him a nice nudge, but Carol didn't know events would played out as they did. It was premium-quality convenience, courtesy of our script writers)

Don't misunderstand. I was glued to the TV and can't wait for whatever comes next.

Comment

So much was going on the 90 min went flying by! I woke up one of the kids yelling out when Glenn went down, or maybe it was when Morgan went all Ninja, that was awesome! Can you just picture Morgan with his stick and Michonne with her katana kicking butt! There were some very timely rescues, but I'm all set with our characters dying right now, so that was ok with me. The bad timing was Morgan showing up to see Rick kill Pete, he's all zen now and feels all life if precious, I'd hate to see them at odds as soon as they find each other again. Not a good way for Deanna to get on Rick' side, her husband was a nice balancing character, I guess maybe Morgan will fill that role? Not sure how many Wolves there are, I guess we'll find out. That trap Daryl/Aaron set off was pretty cool. I think Daryl's chain swing was my favorite walker kill of the season. I hate the long wait between seasons, but at least we'll have the new show to tide us over. (I'm surprised at the title though, not very original....)

Comment

Ended the episode with my hand over my wide open mouth... (Whatever that means?!)

EP-IC!

Whole lotta things all tying up together...

Have to say first to mind is - I fear for Morgan's character now... Not so much of his demise, but I can't see him staying on... Ever since Season 1 I have been waiting for Morgan to join the gang, but it really doesn't feel like that's a path the show will take...

I honestly expected Glen to be dead with the 2-3 walkers piling up on top of him... I agree it was rather "convenient"/miraculous that he survived... And Daryl/etc in the car - that hardly ever ends well... I was expecting the "bad people" to be the ones who would be removing the walkers from the car, not Little-John Morgan. Think I'll have to re-watch that ep/s with Morgan back in S3.

So - was it Rick that Morgan was in search of? Or do you think Morgan had some other goal?

I think they could have shown us at least 1-2 of the Alexandrians giving their side of the story at the town meeting, instead of just showing Rick's "family" (and the hairdresser). It will be interesting to see if Gabriel redeems himself now he's hit rock bottom... (err, again, I suppose)

Truly confronting ending with Rick metering out justice just as Daryl, Morgan, and (greeting dude) arrive... (greeting dude) is going to be pissed/torn after saying to Daryl how cut he was about the other people he had to excommunicate... Then seeing that happen...

And yes, Deanna's husband - didn't see that coming... and a great shame as he indeed was a good influence... (And reminded me a lot of Max Wright...)

I can see a lot of "training camp" stuff starting off next season, Carol at the front teaching people self defence etc And by the looks of it, they'll need it, as the Wolves/whoever now have the photos; no doubt they are coming...

(I don't get it though... Presumably, from what I gathered from the speech the guy gave Morgan, they are getting some kind of bounty for walkers... And thus, people to them are just as good as walkers - kill them, you've got yourself a walker, and a bounty. But, that "trap" at the cannery is a HELL of a lot of potential bounties just sitting idle, for presumably not all that much gain... But that's just a nit-pic really.)

And - WOW ! ! A whole new Walking Dead Series?!!?!? Woot! Here's hoping they've got some good characters to get our, err, teeth into.... mwahahar...
        back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
        "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
        "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
        and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by rkgardner2003 View Post
          The bad timing was Morgan showing up to see Rick kill Pete, he's all zen now and feels all life if precious, I'd hate to see them at odds as soon as they find each other again.
          OOooh, yes. Morgan's way is "all life is precious." Rick's way is "kill anyone who threatens my (extended) family."

Here's an interesting comparison between Rick and Shane:
          1) Shane tries to kill Rick for the mixed reasons that Shane considers Rick a threat* to Rick's wife and because Shane wants Rick's wife for himself. (season two).

2) Rick wants to kill Pete for the mixed reasons that Rick considers Pete a threat to Pete's wife and because Rick wants Pete's wife for himself.

Remember how crazed Shane became in his argument & fight with Rick? Now look at how crazed Rick seems after fighting Pete over Jessie. I've got to believe the similarity is intentional.

Rick is 100% right about Pete -- and about the need for Alexandria to face reality -- but the comparison is interesting. They were so different in season two, and that difference has narrowed. Seeing Morgan's reverence for life emphasizes it.

(For the record, I do NOT think Rick and Shane are the same. Shane was a delusional, selfish, psycho-something. Rick's appearance is a bit crazy lately, but what he's saying is actually correct.)

*Shane tells Rick that Rick's reluctance to kill is a threat to Laurie's safety.

edit: I worked on this comment for so long that cosmichobo wrote a long one in the meantime, and I missed replying to it.
          Last edited by Brother Freyr; 30 March 2015, 06:29 AM. Reason: cosmichobo! :)

Comment

I agree about the timings of all the saves, they all did seem a bit last minute...

Interested to see the Morgan/Rick dynamic, but loving ninja Morgan! The Wolves trap was pretty good too! Is there really only two of them, or are there more?

So, guessing the Daryl deminse rumours were false...

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
              the Wolves/whoever now have the photos; no doubt they are coming...
              I wondered about the photos. They have an equipped dark room w/ chemicals? Photographic paper? An enlarger with a bulb & electricity? a safe light? developer, stop bath, fixer... wait a minute, they've got electricity in a building? They sure look dirty and smelly and outdoorsy. Yeah, the photos throw me for a loop

I don't get it though... Presumably, from what I gathered from the speech the guy gave Morgan, they are getting some kind of bounty for walkers..
              hehe, nah, he told Morgan a story about the first european settlers, who placed bounties on wolves. the wolves were all killed. now, he said, the wolves have returned. he and his fellows are the new wolves. the wolves hunt people. the wolves trap people.

I assume the leader of the wolves is the exiled leader of Alexandria? It's gotta be, right? "Everything has a return."

Comment

Oh and quickly before work...

The comparisons with Terminus, and Rick's mentality of taking Alexandria were interesting... We now have Rick, who to all intents and purposes is doing things that qualify him as a BAD person... and yet his family, including Michonne, are willing to keep following him, even after that public display in the street with hairdresser's hubby...

Just how far do you follow your leader... How far did Woodside follow the Governer...
                "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                and lots more!

Comment

Oh and quickly before work...

The comparisons with Terminus, and Rick's mentality of taking Alexandria were interesting... We now have Rick, who to all intents and purposes is doing things that qualify him as a BAD person... and yet his family, including Michonne, are willing to keep following him, even after that public display in the street with hairdresser's hubby...

Just how far do you follow your leader... How far did Woodside follow the Governer...
                  I'm not sure about Terminus comparisons, from what I remember the Terminus group had originally let in people who then brutally assaulted them and kept them as cattle in the train cars.

I felt that Rick's group were all trying hard to fit in and that they were only going to resort to violence to keep Alexandria safe for them all including the people already living there. They have been so isolated and are really clueless. I felt that Rick was ready to do harm, but only if he had to.

The wolves have got to be more than the few people who have been cast out of Alexandria, remember they took out Noah's community. Maybe they are the leaders??

Comment

Originally posted by rkgardner2003 View Post
                    The wolves have got to be more than the few people who have been cast out of Alexandria, remember they took out Noah's community. Maybe they are the leaders??
                    That's what I'm thinking. Whoever they are, they have no interest in a large human membership. They expand their zombie army instead.

Comment

Rick was talking of "taking" Alexandria from the first night... Whether that involved slaughtering or ejecting the existing inhabitants I'm not sure, but it didn't sound like he simply wanted rulership.

Brother Freyr - Ahh, I was thinking that the overturned truck full of half walkers with "W" carved in heads was bound for "market" to earn a bounty for each walker - with the "W" serving like a brand...
                      and lots more!

Comment

it was a good episode, but i see at least 1 problem, it looks like darryls skills are slipping, when i watched them walking between the trailers, there were cans hanging from the sides that looked to be recent, they didn't have rust or dirt on them, looked like they had just come off the shelf, i would have ben more cautious seeing that, i would have checked out the aera before trying to open the trailers or doors.

that scene with michones swoard, EPIC, that was amazingly un-expected.

then there is the glen and all those walkers scene, you all are assuming that glen is ok, BUT, what if he isn't, what if we start off next season with another atomic bomb, glen dies,due to walker bites, not un heard of,(dale,Sophia), you never know, that scene with glen and maggie sitting on the porch had a bit of a goodbye feel to it, or am i wrong.

Comment

I loved how Morgan showed up with the map. The episode was written well imo. In the end, when Deanna was ready to throw Rick out-had her mind made up- and then Pete kills her husband and she looks at Rick and says "do it, Rick" .. Rick kills Pete, and then there's Morgan. That was awesome. Overall, I give the episode 9/10. The first half of the season was ok.. a 6 overall. I'm glad Beth was killed off. No tears shed from my livingroom that's for sure, lol. At least Maggie finally gave a damn is all I can say. The entire hospital arc was a monumental waste of time.

Carol was amazing this season. Her character's evolution has been spectacular. The whole "Caryl ship" meh-- I think Carol has outgrown Daryl.

Michonne is my all time favorite character. It's as if Michonne has found a true balance in this world. She's complements Rick perfectly. And I love Danai Guirira. She is talented and well spoken.

Ended the episode with my hand over my wide open mouth... (Whatever that means?!)

EP-IC!

Whole lotta things all tying up together...

Have to say first to mind is - I fear for Morgan's character now... Not so much of his demise, but I can't see him staying on... Ever since Season 1 I have been waiting for Morgan to join the gang, but it really doesn't feel like that's a path the show will take...

I honestly expected Glen to be dead with the 2-3 walkers piling up on top of him... I agree it was rather "convenient"/miraculous that he survived... And Daryl/etc in the car - that hardly ever ends well... I was expecting the "bad people" to be the ones who would be removing the walkers from the car, not Little-John Morgan. Think I'll have to re-watch that ep/s with Morgan back in S3.

So - was it Rick that Morgan was in search of? Or do you think Morgan had some other goal?

I think they could have shown us at least 1-2 of the Alexandrians giving their side of the story at the town meeting, instead of just showing Rick's "family" (and the hairdresser). It will be interesting to see if Gabriel redeems himself now he's hit rock bottom... (err, again, I suppose)

Truly confronting ending with Rick metering out justice just as Daryl, Morgan, and (greeting dude) arrive... (greeting dude) is going to be pissed/torn after saying to Daryl how cut he was about the other people he had to excommunicate... Then seeing that happen...

And yes, Deanna's husband - didn't see that coming... and a great shame as he indeed was a good influence... (And reminded me a lot of Max Wright...)

I can see a lot of "training camp" stuff starting off next season, Carol at the front teaching people self defence etc And by the looks of it, they'll need it, as the Wolves/whoever now have the photos; no doubt they are coming...

(I don't get it though... Presumably, from what I gathered from the speech the guy gave Morgan, they are getting some kind of bounty for walkers... And thus, people to them are just as good as walkers - kill them, you've got yourself a walker, and a bounty. But, that "trap" at the cannery is a HELL of a lot of potential bounties just sitting idle, for presumably not all that much gain... But that's just a nit-pic really.)

And - WOW ! ! A whole new Walking Dead Series?!!?!? Woot! Here's hoping they've got some good characters to get our, err, teeth into.... mwahahar...
                          I also thought for a moment that Glenn would die, although when they cut to the next scene i knew he'd live. When they kill a main character, they usually show the death scene. Personally, I am tired of Glenn's character. I won't be upset when he is killed off. Imo, they should kill him or Maggie. I don't like the couple at all. Maggie moved on from Beth too quickly imo, so the only death that could change her character at all is Glenn's.

Eugene -- I couldn't stand him at first for being a lying coward, but now he has grown on me, and I am quite fond of him. He proved himself by saving Tara, and by what he said to Abe.

Gabriel-- I Despise him. 'nuff said. I'll just leave it at that, lol
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X