• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blood Must Have Blood, Part 2 (216)

Visit the Episode GuideTHE 100 - SEASON TWO
    BLOOD MUST HAVE BLOOD, PART 2
    EPISODE NUMBER - 216
    In the wake of betrayal Clarke and Octavia manage to infiltrate the mountain, where they find Maya's life on the line and their own people in enemy hands. As Cage moves ahead with his plan, Clarke is faced with an impossible choice. Elsewhere Jaha's group comes under attack from the water, and Murphy makes an astonishing discovery.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 03 April 2015, 09:23 PM.

I really liked the season finale.

The episode repeated the theme that the show has had going on pretty much since it began, of people just doing what they thought was best so that their own people could survive. That there really are no "good guys" and "bad guys".

This was one of the few episodes this season where I liked Clarke and wasn't really annoyed by her (mainly because of her decision not to stay at Camp Jaha and because everyone wasn't treating her like a hero).

What happened at Mt. Weather was pretty sad. It was especially sad to see Maya die, but seeing how her death affects Jasper should be interesting (I was thinking that either she or Monty could die for Jasper's character development). Jasper really grew a lot during his time at Mt. Weather, and Maya's death should have a big impact on him. I'm kind of glad that none of the important characters at Camp Jaha died because I like them all, but I think that at least one of them should have been killed off.

Kane looked really healthy for someone who was trapped under the rubble of a building a few episodes ago (the last episode we saw him in). He didn't even look like he was limping or anything. Didn't Abby say something about how the pressure from that huge block of concrete or steel(?) he was trapped under was the only thing that was stopping him from bleeding out from some leg wound or something? It seemed like he shouldn't have been healthy enough to be able to go on any kind of mission to Mt. Weather. I guess they wanted all of the main characters involved in the finale (even though he didn't really do anything), but still it was weird seeing him so perfectly healthy. I'm so glad that he didn't die though. I would have been complaining if they had brought him back after surviving the missile strike just to kill him off during the finale lol.

I loved Octavia. I liked how Indra left the knife by Lincoln and gave him the choice to free himself. I really liked how Lincoln got his revenge on Cage.

I loved how the whole City of Light thing turned out. I didn't want to get my hopes up that it would be anything cool, so I was thinking it would end up being some kind of sanctuary or a cult or something like that. I love AIs though lol. It seems like that AI (or the woman the hologram was based on) got control of the nuclear launch codes from that guy that Murphy saw commit suicide on the video in the lighthouse. Maybe it/she started the nuclear war that wiped almost everyone out? And now she wants to finish the job. She seemed happy that Jaha "brought" her that missile. Jaha seems more and more unstable. I wonder if he's going to willingly help or if he'll try to stop it/her. Really looking forward to seeing how this whole storyline plays out.

Hopefully the actress who plays Lexa comes back for some episodes next season. I read that she wasn't available for the finale because
    Spoiler:
    she was working on the Pilot episode for The Walking Dead spinoff (or something like that), and just the other day, that was picked-up for 2 two seasons. The showrunner for The 100 is apparently going to talk with the people at AMC to see if she can do both shows.
    ^ That's not really a spoiler for the show itself, it's something that happened outside of this show that can affect what happens on the show next season though.
    sigpic

Comment

For a finale this really delivered.
      Cage got his comupance real good. But i felt saddened both Bellamy and Clark had to pull the lever, irradiating all of them, inc maya (thought it was mya).
      Really felt it was a close call for both Raven and Abby, but i wonder how much those drilling to their legs will be kept for next season.
      And we finally got a conclusion of sorts to the "city of light angle".

I wonder. With Clarke going off on her own like that, will she track down Lexa cause of that kiss, or will it be more to find her and "Pay her back for the betrayal."

All in all, a damn good conclusion to a breath taking season.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
        For a finale this really delivered.
        Cage got his comupance real good. But i felt saddened both Bellamy and Clark had to pull the lever, irradiating all of them, inc maya (thought it was mya).
        Really felt it was a close call for both Raven and Abby, but i wonder how much those drilling to their legs will be kept for next season.
        And we finally got a conclusion of sorts to the "city of light angle".

I wonder. With Clarke going off on her own like that, will she track down Lexa cause of that kiss, or will it be more to find her and "Pay her back for the betrayal."

All in all, a damn good conclusion to a breath taking season.
        Spoiler:
        The show runner publish this

Notice in the bottom hand corner Mutant - Clark Walkabout
        I got a feeling Clark will runing into that Mutant that was observing Octavia and Lincoln on her walkabout, she will probably be taken to the real city of light or at least a place where mutants are accepted.

Awesome episode and some of the best tv on at the minute.

Comment

After thinking about the episode a bit more, I decided that, overall, I don't like this episode as much as I did right after watching it (this happens to me a lot with several shows lol). I still liked the episode for the most part, and I still really like some aspects of it: Lincoln, Octavia, Jasper, Murphy, Jaha, the City of Light, and that none of my favorite characters died.

Most of what I have to say next is pretty negative, it's not just about this episode, but the season overall, and it's mostly in regards to Clarke.

Put in spoiler tags because it's pretty long.
          Spoiler:

My negativity doesn't have as much to do with Clark's actual actions this season, but the way she was written overall, and the way that other characters were written when they were around her. From the start of the season, all of the other characters virtually lost the ability to think for themselves when Clarke was around them. She was the only one who seemed to be right all of the time and the only one who seemed allowed to come up with solutions to their problems (at least the finale was consistent with this, the thing that I hated the most about this season). I think the show spent too much of this season forcing Clarke into situations that would turn her into a darker character, often to the detriment of of the other characters (their characterization) and to the overall plot. The show really seemed to have a tendency to make other characters behave inconsistently or out of character in order to force Clarke's character development.

First there was the whole thing with Finn. I'd never really liked the character much. Going into this season, I considered him a poorly developed love interest with very little depth. His PTSD, or whatever, seemed to come out of nowhere. During the first couple of episodes he's acting perfectly rational, urging Bellamy to keep his cool and being really supportive of Raven. Then a couple of episodes later, he's executing a Grounder and later on murdering 18 innocent people. But I felt that it was an interesting enough storyline, and it felt like the show was finally going to give him some depth. Then, while he was just starting to get that depth, the show made it so that the Grounders would settle for nothing less than his death in order for there to be peace between the two peoples. Kane said, that based on his time with Lexa (barely none of which was shown), he thought her to be a reasonable person who might settle for a trial and imprisonment, but then they had Lincoln tell everyone that the Grounders would never accept it, even if Lexa wanted to, because by their custom/law blood must have blood and Finn had to pay for the deaths of those 18 people. Indra was the loudest voice calling for Finn's blood and she hated the idea of dealing with the Sky People after what they'd done, even after they promised to cure the Reapers (and they killed far less people than the Mt. Men). So Finn did the right thing and turned himself over to the Grounders even when all his friends were still trying to protect him. This forced Clarke to kill Finn out of mercy, in order to spare him a horrible death at the hands of the Grounders. I didn't really mind Finn dying much, because he was my least favorite character and it seemed to be leading to something more.

Clarke had to make a terrible decision, she started to see love a weakness and everything. She became a darker character. Kane faded into the background and became near mute, even though he was the one who went to negotiate with the Grounders earlier in the season. He wouldn't even take back the Chancellorship when Abby offered it back to him. Jaha became mentally unstable, was imprisoned for a bit during the Finn ordeal, and then left for the Promised Land. Abby seemed to be basically forced to remain Chancellor because she was Clarke's mom, and that gave the show a decent reason for how Clarke was allowed to play leader and do whatever she wanted.

Then the whole missile strike happened. Clarke convinced Lexa to leave and not to warn anyone from the village. They made a big deal about how no one could find out about what they did because it would ruin the alliance. Lexa even wanted to kill Octavia because of it. Lexa used the missile strike to further motivate the Grounders to get revenge on Mt. Weather. Everything looked to be building up to something big.

Then they get to Mt. Weather and after a little bit of fighting, Lexa decides to take a deal to retreat. It would have been ok if there was some sort of fallout from her decision, some kind of payoff to everything that came before, but there was really nothing. So much for "blood must have blood", and that Lexa can't do whatever she wants and has to answer to her people who would demand justice/vengeance. I guess Clarke feeling the sting of betrayal (and later being forced to kill all of the Mt. Men) to further her character development, was more important than anything else previously established on the show. The 18 people that Finn killed and needed to die for, was a bigger deal than the 250 people that died in the missile strike and everything else that the Mt. Men did to the Grounders, because it was more relevant to Clarke's character development. At least they had Indra leave Lincoln the knife so that he could make the choice to help Octavia and get Cage. The whole deal and retreat seemed even sillier during this episode, by how easy it seemed to get into Mt. Weather and kill everyone, all without the Ark people losing anyone important (even though the show put all of the important Ark characters in danger).

Now, some of the way that the Grounder storyline played out, could have been due to the actress playing Lexa being unavailable for the finale (I think). The showrunner mentioned in an interview, about last episode and Lexa (that I read and need to find again), that he apparently didn't want her to die during the finale because Clarke wouldn't have gotten a chance react to her betrayal properly (or something along those lines). That secrets were still out there and how Clarke dealt with what happened with Lexa would part of next season. But again, even if they're going to deal with it next season, Clarke's character development comes across as being more important than consistent characterization for other characters and telling an internally consistent story this season. Hopefully next season doesn't handle Clarke's character development in the same (heavy-handed and contrived) way as this season.

Anyway, even after that whole rant, I am still looking forward to next season.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
            Put in spoiler tags because it's pretty long.
            Spoiler:

My negativity doesn't have as much to do with Clark's actual actions this season, but the way she was written overall, and the way that other characters were written when they were around her. From the start of the season, all of the other characters virtually lost the ability to think for themselves when Clarke was around them. She was the only one who seemed to be right all of the time and the only one who seemed allowed to come up with solutions to their problems (at least the finale was consistent with this, the thing that I hated the most about this season). I think the show spent too much of this season forcing Clarke into situations that would turn her into a darker character, often to the detriment of of the other characters (their characterization) and to the overall plot. The show really seemed to have a tendency to make other characters behave inconsistently or out of character in order to force Clarke's character development.

First there was the whole thing with Finn. I'd never really liked the character much. Going into this season, I considered him a poorly developed love interest with very little depth. His PTSD, or whatever, seemed to come out of nowhere. During the first couple of episodes he's acting perfectly rational, urging Bellamy to keep his cool and being really supportive of Raven. Then a couple of episodes later, he's executing a Grounder and later on murdering 18 innocent people. But I felt that it was an interesting enough storyline, and it felt like the show was finally going to give him some depth. Then, while he was just starting to get that depth, the show made it so that the Grounders would settle for nothing less than his death in order for there to be peace between the two peoples. Kane said, that based on his time with Lexa (barely none of which was shown), he thought her to be a reasonable person who might settle for a trial and imprisonment, but then they had Lincoln tell everyone that the Grounders would never accept it, even if Lexa wanted to, because by their custom/law blood must have blood and Finn had to pay for the deaths of those 18 people. Indra was the loudest voice calling for Finn's blood and she hated the idea of dealing with the Sky People after what they'd done, even after they promised to cure the Reapers (and they killed far less people than the Mt. Men). So Finn did the right thing and turned himself over to the Grounders even when all his friends were still trying to protect him. This forced Clarke to kill Finn out of mercy, in order to spare him a horrible death at the hands of the Grounders. I didn't really mind Finn dying much, because he was my least favorite character and it seemed to be leading to something more.

Clarke had to make a terrible decision, she started to see love a weakness and everything. She became a darker character. Kane faded into the background and became near mute, even though he was the one who went to negotiate with the Grounders earlier in the season. He wouldn't even take back the Chancellorship when Abby offered it back to him. Jaha became mentally unstable, was imprisoned for a bit during the Finn ordeal, and then left for the Promised Land. Abby seemed to be basically forced to remain Chancellor because she was Clarke's mom, and that gave the show a decent reason for how Clarke was allowed to play leader and do whatever she wanted.

Then the whole missile strike happened. Clarke convinced Lexa to leave and not to warn anyone from the village. They made a big deal about how no one could find out about what they did because it would ruin the alliance. Lexa even wanted to kill Octavia because of it. Lexa used the missile strike to further motivate the Grounders to get revenge on Mt. Weather. Everything looked to be building up to something big.

Then they get to Mt. Weather and after a little bit of fighting, Lexa decides to take a deal to retreat. It would have been ok if there was some sort of fallout from her decision, some kind of payoff to everything that came before, but there was really nothing. So much for "blood must have blood", and that Lexa can't do whatever she wants and has to answer to her people who would demand justice/vengeance. I guess Clarke feeling the sting of betrayal (and later being forced to kill all of the Mt. Men) to further her character development, was more important than anything else previously established on the show. The 18 people that Finn killed and needed to die for, was a bigger deal than the 250 people that died in the missile strike and everything else that the Mt. Men did to the Grounders, because it was more relevant to Clarke's character development. At least they had Indra leave Lincoln the knife so that he could make the choice to help Octavia and get Cage. The whole deal and retreat seemed even sillier during this episode, by how easy it seemed to get into Mt. Weather and kill everyone, all without the Ark people losing anyone important (even though the show put all of the important Ark characters in danger).

Now, some of the way that the Grounder storyline played out, could have been due to the actress playing Lexa being unavailable for the finale (I think). The showrunner mentioned in an interview, about last episode and Lexa (that I read and need to find again), that he apparently didn't want her to die during the finale because Clarke wouldn't have gotten a chance react to her betrayal properly (or something along those lines). That secrets were still out there and how Clarke dealt with what happened with Lexa would part of next season. But again, even if they're going to deal with it next season, Clarke's character development comes across as being more important than consistent characterization for other characters and telling an internally consistent story this season. Hopefully next season doesn't handle Clarke's character development in the same (heavy-handed and contrived) way as this season.

Anyway, even after that whole rant, I am still looking forward to next season.
            Just a few comments on your comments, I'm going to hold off commenting about the episode as a whole until after I watch parts 1/2 together this weekend.

I think other people were rendered inert simply because Clarke stepped up to the plate and did what had to be done. Even though she's a female, she's an "alpha male" character through and through, a natural leader type.

Regarding Lexa, at this point, I don't think Clarke is done with her yet. Her stated reason of going off into the jungle just doesn't ring true for me. My bet is that she is going Lexa hunting, and I would not want to be Lexa when she finds her.

As far as Finn goes, I really don't care too much about who has the hots for who, so I'll admit I don't look at that aspect too much. I just think Finn was driven off the rails by their circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
              Just a few comments on your comments, I'm going to hold off commenting about the episode as a whole until after I watch parts 1/2 together this weekend.

I think other people were rendered inert simply because Clarke stepped up to the plate and did what had to be done. Even though she's a female, she's an "alpha male" character through and through, a natural leader type.
              To me, it really just felt like the other characters were rendered inert because the writers wanted them to do nothing when Clarke was around, so that she could be the one to shine. They all seemed capable of making difficult decisions and taking action when she wasn't there (last season and this season). Jaha was rendered inert because he wanted to hand Finn over to the Grounders (and Clarke begged/demanded that her mother not allow it to happen). Then he told them that the alliance with the Grounders was a bad idea and would blow up in their faces (which it did). But they had him acting a bit unstable, and almost everyone ignored him; then he left. Abby was Clarke's mom and they established that Clarke was mad at her about what happened with her father, so she didn't really want to listen to anything that Abby said. Abby wasn't going to severely discipline her daughter for breaking the rules. She also didn't want to upset/disappoint Clarke after Finn's death more than she already had, so she walked on eggshells around her at first, and then when they had her decide that enough was enough, it was too late because Clarke had Grounder bodyguards. Kane was understanding of Clarke's actions, he just seemed to be written to not want to be in charge of anything after he went to negotiate with the Grounders, so that Abby could stay in charge and Clarke could walk all over her (due to their relationship dynamic) and be in charge by proxy.

The only reason Clarke seems like a natural leader (imo) is because the show keeps telling us that she is, while almost everyone else is written as being more submissive when they're around her. When Clarke wasn't around them, Kane, Abby, Jasper, Bellamy and Octavia acted like leaders as much as Clarke has this season (maybe even moreso), but the show didn't constantly tell us how great those characters were. They were just treated like normal people, and the show had them follow Clarke's lead whenever she was around them ( that latter part only changed during the last few episodes with Octavia being angry at her, and during the season finale with Jasper being upset over Maya).

Regarding Lexa, at this point, I don't think Clarke is done with her yet. Her stated reason of going off into the jungle just doesn't ring true for me. My bet is that she is going Lexa hunting, and I would not want to be Lexa when she finds her.
              If she's even mad at her when they meet again. Given what Clarke did at Mt. Weather, she might just be more understanding of Lexa's betrayal and might go to her in order to rekindle their relationship (I really hope not though, I was ok with the idea of a potential relationship between those two before, but I really don't want to see one between them now).

As far as Finn goes, I really don't care too much about who has the hots for who, so I'll admit I don't look at that aspect too much. I just think Finn was driven off the rails by their circumstances.
              I didn't care much about Finn or about Clarke's relationship with him either (I wasn't trying to say that I wanted them together or wished that he was alive or anything). His PTSD could've been built-up better though. And Finn being an inconsistent and poorly developed love interest character, doesn't negate the fact that the show built up everything that happened with him as being a big deal. And it all led nowhere (so far) for everyone/everything other than Clarke (she became a darker character because of it, which isn't a bad thing, but there was no follow through on anything else).
              Last edited by VampyreWraith; 12 March 2015, 07:28 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

I think a lot of that also was that it did seem when the others DID think for themselves, they boobooed up, and so probably felt that letting clarke take it all on her shoulders was best.
                Though i LOVED her echoing Dante's line at the end
                "I do this all so you don't have to"..

Comment

If she's even mad at her when they meet again. Given what Clarke did at Mt. Weather, she might just be more understanding of Lexa's betrayal and might go to her in order to rekindle their relationship (I really hope not though, I was ok with the idea of a potential relationship between those two before, but I really don't want to see one between them now).
                  If I were Clarke, what would be going through my mind is "What I was forced to do because Lexa bailed on me". That is a powerful motivation for revenge.

Comment

I think Jaha went abit crazy on the Ark all by himself

I really enjoyed the 2 part season finale, it left many potential storylines for season 3, an amazing end to an amazing season
                    Last Movie Watched
                    X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                    Life is Strange

Comment

If I were Clarke, what would be going through my mind is "What I was forced to do because Lexa bailed on me". That is a powerful motivation for revenge.
                      If I was Clarke that's what I would be thinking as well. I would never be able to forgive a betrayal that put the lives of everyone I cared about in danger, and forced me to kill another group of people in order to protect my own. A revenge plot would definitely be a lot more interesting than watching some kind of romance unfold between the two. And I so want something to come out of all the build-up that started with Finn's death, the whole blood must have blood thing, the missile strike, and the betrayal at Mt. Weather. I think it would be interesting for Clarke to understand why Lexa did what she did, to sympathize with her in a way, but also still (purposefully) get revenge, while regretting that it had to come to that (because they could have been friends/allies and possible more). I'd really like whatever happens to be something she freely chooses to do though, not something that she feels forced to do (something relatively cold and calculating would be interesting, and it would be different from the other times Clarke's been responsible for people's deaths).

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
                      I think Jaha went abit crazy on the Ark all by himself

I really enjoyed the 2 part season finale, it left many potential storylines for season 3, an amazing end to an amazing season
                      Yeah lol, it really looks like the solitude, a few near-death experiences and possibly the lack of oxygen while up on the Ark affected his mental stability a bit. I know it's horrible, but I cracked up when he tossed that kid overboard, so that the sea monster (that looked like a worm from Dune or Star Wars) could gobble him up and leave them alone. Even though what he did was really messed up, it kind of made sense too, the kid was panicking and wouldn't row and the monster really wanted a snack. I really like Jaha's storyline, he really felt that he was being guided by a higher power for a greater purpose, and that that purpose was going to be something noble and that it would lead him to save his people again. It turns out he really was being guided by a kind of higher power (the one that tried to end the world) and that it has a great purpose for him, it just might not be so noble (at least when it comes to people). I'm really looking forward to seeing where that whole thing goes.
                      sigpic

Comment

Im looking forward to Jaha's storyline continue in S3
                        Last Movie Watched
                        X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                        Life is Strange

Comment

Ok
                          Jaha tossed that kid overboard, feeding the creature with him.
                          I did not catch that on first viewing Wed. night.

And then tells Murphy he was trying to "save us". Considering that Murphy was the only one with him, that's a tough sell. He just sacrificed the kid to save his own skin. He's lost the right to live as far as I'm concerned. I don't care if he lives or dies at this point.

I remain convinced that Clarke is going hunting for Lexa. I wouldn't want to be Lexa when she finds her, either. There has been talk about not seeing Lexa again because the actress that plays her has been signed to a new show, but even if that's the case, they could have another actress play the part next season. It wouldn't be long term gig, however. I give Lexa no more than a few minutes to live after Clarke finds her.

Abby & Kane seem to be the lone survivors of the Ark government. Will their people continue to accept them as leaders in their new circumstances? I'm not going to be surprised if there is a power struggle next season.

And we have an unknown player with a nuke. I'm not sure how useful it would be as a weapon, however. If it were used anywhere in the vicinity, it would kill everyone on the island as well as those in Tondc, & the crashed Ark. Whoever is inside Mt. Weather might survive though.

A good end to the season. I'm glad it has already been renewed for next season.

Comment

And PS:
                            When Jaha and Murphy got to the shore and got out of their boat, there were a bunch of TV remotes on the beach? I saw at least two different ones..

Huh?

Comment

I know it's horrible, but I cracked up when he tossed that kid overboard, so that the sea monster (that looked like a worm from Dune or Star Wars) could gobble him up and leave them alone. Even though what he did was really messed up, it kind of made sense too, the kid was panicking and wouldn't row and the monster really wanted a snack.
                              I also cracked up, but it showed he seems to care more about himself than anyone else now.. I loved the reaction that Murphy had to what Jaha did.
                              And PS:
                              When Jaha and Murphy got to the shore and got out of their boat, there were a bunch of TV remotes on the beach? I saw at least two different ones..

Huh?
                              That did make me scratch my head too. Also how did all those boats make it back to the mainland?

Comment

Working...
                              X