Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Sense8

Default Re: Sense8

Great news, something good to watch again!

I heard JMS is trying to finish the Season Two right now.

WOW! Sorry I had to hunt this thread down. I figured someone would be talking about that crazy "Christmas Special". Well it was crazy, but I loved it. I am surprised I am saying that because there are aspects of it that genuinely annoyed me, but I still can't wait until Season Two goes up MAY 5TH.

Am I the only person watching this show? I know it has been a long time since Season One ended, but Season Two is finally on the way.

Captain

I'm still watching, but I had forgotten the series existed until your post.

Still not sure about the series, it has story but we have little context, like this evil lot that are after them, are they wanting to prevent human evolution or exploit the "gift" for gain? This Xmas episode moves the story no further forward than the last episode other than some small tidbits, but it was funny at times, there was one particular scene that had me in stitches, pretty sure you can guess which one it was....

I liked the special for the most part. I could have done without the orgy scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
    I liked the special for the most part. I could have done without the orgy scene.
    I couldn't agree more. I feel like those scenes have become unnecessary to drive the story of the series, but I also feel like they threw it in because they viewed this as possibly a series relaunch because so much time has passed since Season One and those scenes were a pretty big part of Season One. I really wonder if Season Two is going to continue to rely on them.

Captain

Probably, remember who makes the series, their stated goal for it was to break taboo and fight prejudice, tbh when you strip away the sex, there isn't much story to fill a few regular episodes let alone two series.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO it looks like this thread died until now. I can't believe Season Two got zero discussion, but I guess I only have myself to blame. So Season Two came and went and the series was canceled. After a short period of fan outrage Netflix agreed to do a two hour Series Finale. Well.....

SENSE 8 SERIES FINALE WENT UP ON NETFLIX TODAY, JUNE 8, 2018!!!!!

The Finale ended up being two and a half hours long. Netflix has it listed as Season 2 Episode 12. IMDB lists it as Season Three. Just thought I should point that out so there is no confusion.

And it appears J. Michael Straczynski did not have anything to do with the writing of the finale. I'm not really sure JMS had much involvement with the show after Season One. He was still involved. but it seems like he wasn't as heavily involved as he was in Season One. Of course when they were getting the Christmas Special and Season Two done he was dealing with some health issues, so that is likely a big part of it. I thought he might play a bigger role in this finale, but he was only listed in the Producing/Creator Credits. Not that Producers don't do many things; just that JMS is primarily a writer and he isn't in the writing credits.

Okay so I watched it and I have to say it was about as amazing as it could possibly be given the time constraints and them having to wrap up soooo many plot threads. I so wish there was more time and that they hadn't had to rush things, but I think they did an amazing job getting it all done. I was VERY entertained and a little depressed throughout the whole two and a half hour process. Soooo many great moments and lines.

And updating what I said earlier, IMDB has changed the designation to Season 2 Episode 12 from Season 3 that they had earlier.

It had good and bad moments. I was very happy to see everyone again as I started to care about this characters. And they managed to call back even the secondary supporting characters as well! Well done.

On the other hand... the story was not so exciting or interesting. I believe it was a bit crowded and everybody expected way too easy to existense of the sensates. And basically they picked up someone here and there, so that is what happened 4-5-6-7 times.

I couldn't really understand the motivations of Lila. What did she want with Whispers? Maybe I have skipped some key informations.

I was not really happy how many people they have murdered (by Lila in France, by Wolfgand in the BPO, by Jonas at the explosion and by the whole cluster in Napoly. The body count was way too high and I am pretty sure not every Italian maffiozo or BPO workers were evil.

The sex scene was completly unnecessarry in the last 5 minutes and it couldn't really shock me after season 1 or season 2. Kala sandwich? That was the end of her storyline that she was not capable of choosing? And it was a bit disappointing that the final scene ended with an used dildo on the bed ... Meh.

But I am very happy that this 3 episode long movie happened. I will miss them and the message of this series. I have never seen so many locations in one tv show. So well done Netflix and Lana, thank you.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

PLEASE NOTE THAT MANY SPOILERS FOLLOW!!!!!

I definitely agree with a lot of what you said, but I think you need to put it into context - they basically tried to shove an entire season into one go. I think everything would have gelled better if they had more time to tell the story, but they didn't so it all had to be shoved in.

Quote Originally Posted by Platschu View Post
    It had good and bad moments. I was very happy to see everyone again as I started to care about this characters. And they managed to call back even the secondary supporting characters as well! Well done.
    Yes it had flaws, but I think overall they did a fantastic job. It really helped bring closure that so many secondary characters had a part to play, even if in some instances it was just one shot of them at the wedding. I would have loved it if everything could have been expanded with more time so more characters got solid screen time.

On the other hand... the story was not so exciting or interesting. I believe it was a bit crowded and everybody expected way too easy to existense of the sensates. And basically they picked up someone here and there, so that is what happened 4-5-6-7 times.

Going back to what I said above, if everything seemed rushed and condensed it had to be when you consider how much of the story they had to wrap up and how many secondary characters needed to be squeezed in. I mean just looking at the main characters Lito, Hernando, and Daniella really get VERY little focus in the finale. And Capheous doesn't get to do much at all. Plus his arc has the largest consequences and they only slightly touch on it and then leave it as a loose end. But the wedding scene is just meant to tell everyone that the group lives happily ever after, so we're supposed to assume he wins the election and brings peace and reform to his country.

I couldn't really understand the motivations of Lila. What did she want with Whispers? Maybe I have skipped some key informations.
    Lila was trying to insure the safety, security, and power of her cluster. As was said in the finale, her cluster were the biggest BPO colaborators. I don't remember if their eventual goal was the downfall or takeover of BPO, but one thing she could never learn about BPO was the identity of The Chairman. That was one point of power BPO held over her cluster. She didn't know whom she was actually dealing with. In her eyes that information was power because so few people knew the identity of The Chairman. She could use it to her advantage in so many ways including blackmail. Once she knew his identity she could use that as a bargaining chip in future dealings with BPO, like if they ever tried to come after her cluster. So she wanted Whispers to exchange him for The Chairman's identity.

I was not really happy how many people they have murdered (by Lila in France, by Wolfgand in the BPO, by Jonas at the explosion and by the whole cluster in Napoly. The body count was way too high and I am pretty sure not every Italian maffiozo or BPO workers were evil.
    I definitely see your point here. All I can say is point by point.

Lila was a crazy psycho.

Wolfgang was being held and drugged against his will. Most of those people were shooting at him as well plus . . . .

. . . . the people at BPO, even the ones who might not have known Wolfgang was being held against his will, were maintaining a room full of lobotomized people who could be used as assassins. Yes many of those people might not have actually known what was going on, but there were likely only a few of those people and maybe it was their day off. . . . .

. . . . And this same point can be used with Jonas, he was putting an end to something horrible.

Were innocent people likely caught up in it? Well you could make the argument, as I did above, that certain employees didn't know what was going on, but all and all it is a TV show. You are supposed to think those working for BPO were bad people who got what they deserved. It is a TV show so if they were the people killed by the heroes then they were bad people who got what they deserved.

I have seen people complaining that it was too easy for the people in the cluster to suddenly become killers. I think they forgot a major point of the show is that each person in the cluster can take over other people. So when Kala was killing people they showed it was actually Wolfgang controlling her. Just like when Rajan wanted to learn to shoot it was actually Wolfgang who showed him. So those in the cluster who would never kill anyone were being helped by those in the cluster who would kill people.

The sex scene was completly unnecessarry in the last 5 minutes and it couldn't really shock me after season 1 or season 2. Kala sandwich? That was the end of her storyline that she was not capable of choosing? And it was a bit disappointing that the final scene ended with an used dildo on the bed ... Meh.
    Okay I TOTALLY agree with your sentiment, but you have to look at everything at the end being a silly happy ending. I mean come one, you get some drugs into Nomi's mom and all is forgiven?! The sex scenes are a big part of explaining their connection to each other, but I often felt they seemed poorly timed and forced into episodes where they didn't fit. This one is just part of the silly happy ending and the dildo was a big middle finger to everyone who gave them flack for putting it in the first episode of the series. Everything at the end was the end and they chose to go out on a fun and silly note because the story is over.

But I am very happy that this 3 episode long movie happened. I will miss them and the message of this series. I have never seen so many locations in one tv show. So well done Netflix and Lana, thank you.
    Yes it is a shame. It would have been great to have the story we saw in this finale told over one more full season so everything didn't have to seem rushed and shoved into this one special, but at least we got some form of closure. The show is not perfect, but in the end it was an ambitious attempt to make something global. It had its flaws, but it also had its wonder, amazement, complexity, surprise, sadness, charm, and hope. It was interesting and entertaining and I don't think the creators of the show could ask for a better compliment. Sure they would love people to hear people say it was the best show ever, but it wasn't. (That's Babylon 5) It was a good show that occasionally achieved greatness and always showed us that we live on a planet where people might not be as different as we all often think we are, so to them.

Thanks for the long answer. I mostly agree with you. And Babylon 5 is definately one of the best scifi series ever.

Sense8 was special and it has cheered up many people around the globe. It has brought closer the LGBT movement to me, so they definately made us believe in a change. "XXI. century!!!" if you remember, when Kala was pissed off in season 2. She was my favorite as I am also a pharmacist. And it has also opened the eyes of people that we are really living in such a world where you could meet people from different cultures and we have to be more open-minded to learn from each other.

The birthday celebration scene:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sml4ic-s6YQ

And here are some really good songs frm the soundtrack :

Marius Furche - Mad World - SENSE8 OST
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-1YW4CHyPU

Jetta - I'd Love to Change the World (Sense8 Version)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgCJ9XYkWMI

Avicii - Feeling Good
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsjixKvJZKU
    Last edited by Platschu; June 11th, 2018 at 02:34 PM.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

Captain

Pretty good end to the series, bit flawed but then so is just about everything nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian-S View Post
    Pretty good end to the series, bit flawed but then so is just about everything nowadays.
    Isn't that the truth.

Thanks for the long answer. I mostly agree with you. And Babylon 5 is definately one of the best scifi series ever.

Sense8 was special and it has cheered up many people around the globe. It has brought closer the LGBT movement to me, so they definately made us believe in a change. "XXI. century!!!" if you remember, when Kala was pissed off in season 2. She was my favorite as I am also a pharmacist. And it has also opened the eyes of people that we are really living in such a world where you could meet people from different cultures and we have to be more open-minded to learn from each other.

The birthday celebration scene:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sml4ic-s6YQ

And here are some really good songs frm the soundtrack :

Marius Furche - Mad World - SENSE8 OST
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-1YW4CHyPU

Jetta - I'd Love to Change the World (Sense8 Version)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgCJ9XYkWMI

Avicii - Feeling Good
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsjixKvJZKU
    Yep I always like the music. I also think the visuals were usually pretty stunning.