Calling all Irish!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling all Irish!

Fáilte cách! Welcome, and come right on in! This thread is dedicated to any and all things Irish, and for those who are/want to be Irish.

So if you are or want to be Irish, grab a pint of Guinness or a glass of Jameson whiskey, throw another bit of peat moss on the fire, and sit back and relax. Mostly just have fun!

Last edited by imzadi35; 11 March 2015, 09:34 PM.
    Turas Sábháilte, Baile Sábháilte
    (Safe Journey, Safe Home.)

I'm not Irish, but do know several who are. One of whom has a beautiful Irish brogue.
    Total syffy posts: 36,690
    (Chosen One)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
    Matthew 5:9

Comment

Well I'm Scottish, but I have and Irish surname and Irish ancestors on both sides! I can trace my dad's family back to Donegal in the Republic and County Down in the North just a few generations ago, and my mum's side also go back to Donegal

I've only ever visited Ireland once though - I went a daytrip to Dublin and met up with a couple of Irish Gateworlders (who I don't think visit this forum anymore sadly).
      sigpic
      Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by pscard View Post
        a beautiful Irish brogue.
        contradiction detected

Comment

Both my grandparents (my mother's parents) were born and raised in Ireland, so I consider myself a lot of Irish. They came to America in the early 1900's and were in San Francisco when the big earthquake there happened in 1906. They moved to Portland, Oregon, where they spent the rest of their lives.

I've been doing a lot of researching family history on both sides of the family on ancestry.com, but unfortunately I haven't been able to get very far on this side of the family. I'm kind of stuck.

No problem at all on my Dad's side of the family (his side is English and Scottish). I've traced that side back to before the year 1000. Really cool and interesting stuff.

I love Irish stuff and have some Belleek and some clothing made from Irish wool. I would love to visit Ireland, but sadly don't have the money to do so. I have to be satisfied with seeing pictures of various places there.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
            contradiction detected
            brogue (plural brogues)

A strong dialectal accent. In Ireland it used to be a term for Irish spoken with a strong English accent, but gradually changed to mean English spoken with a strong Irish accent as English control of Ireland gradually increased and Irish waned as the standard language.
            Source:http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/brogue
            (Chosen One)

Comment

I went to Ireland in April of 2013, and I had the time of my life! We went from Dublin, to Killarney, Gallway, Killkenney, and my brother even got to kiss the blarney stone! I loved it so much that I cried when we had to return home.

I don't know my birth history since I'm adopted, but I like to think that even if I'm not Irish, I can still love all things Irish. I love the music, culture, land, everything! I really like to listen to the Chieftans, Enya, and The Corrs, to name a few. I love Riverdance, and to hear the Irish brogue sends my heart soaring into the clouds. I want someday to go back and spend more time there, if I can. I'd love to just immerse myself into everyday Irish life. *sigh*

Comment

Clontarf Castle where we stayed the first
                night in Dublin.

Me at one of the stops we made during the trip.

Some of the beautiful Irish countryside...

The first part of the Jameson whiskey factory tour...
                Last edited by imzadi35; 25 January 2015, 02:36 PM.

Comment

I'm Irish, born and raised. Currently sitting in my parents house surrounded by a dozen farms ( just to help keep the stereotype alive )

Comment

I'm Irish on my Dads side. We have a St. Patrick's day celebration every year that is one of my favorite gatherings of the year. It's a day we don't have to worry about gifts or rushing to get to church or see in-laws and can just enjoy each other.

I'm a split between Italian and Portuguese on my Moms side, you wouldn't know it since I'm fair with freckles, and sadly not a natural cook My husband is Irish, English and Scottish...our poor kids are quite the mixed bag!

Comment

Like i said, I'm adopted and don't know my history. But I still LOVE the Irish and everything about them. *sigh*

Comment

Everyone who visits this topic should get a free Green. (Hint, hint. )
                        (Chosen One)

Comment

Oy!

Comment

The first time I visited Ireland, I drove all the way from Dublin to the Cliffs Of Moher (County Clare) and back. The most spectacular stops were the cliffs and Newgrange passage tomb (along with Knowth, and later Dowth during an icy christmas vacation).

The first time I visited was also the moment I fell madly in love with the green isle and its people. In fact, I love it so much that it's by far the only place in the world (so far) that I'd see myself move to (later when I have the time and money to do so).

Now, if the Irish would vote yes on marriage equality, that would be even more great. Otherwise, that could become problematic at best.
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Does Irish descent count? My ancestors left Ireland after the Great Potato Famine.
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                              X