• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M. Domestica (206)

Visit the Episode GuideHELIX - SEASON TWO
    M. DOMESTICA
    EPISODE NUMBER - 206
    Michael's plans to continue his line leads to a new outbreak throughout the abbey, forcing Kyle to work with Alan. Off the island, Julia decides to act when her peers at Ilaria decide to unleash the Narvic virus on the global population.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 12 March 2015, 08:44 PM.

Well, this week's Michael reveal was more 'ick' than I expected. I suppose I should have seen it coming, given his botanical perfection obsession and the 'harem' he keeps around him. Still though, ick.

Do we have any guesses on how far back the Julia flashbacks were set for this one? I'm thinking they happen prior to Alan bombing the Ilaria building, but if there were any particular timeline markers, I missed them.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I already figured the women were Michael's daughters and lovers, so that wasn't a surprise to me. However, the explanation behind it was; procreating with his own daughters kills a bit of his mortality? Was that meant literally or just that it makes him less human (because it's incest)? Or is it just his excuse that makes no sense at all and he just wants to have sex with his own daughters and the daughters believe the lie?
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
        I already figured the women were Michael's daughters and lovers, so that wasn't a surprise to me. However, the explanation behind it was; procreating with his own daughters kills a bit of his mortality? Was that meant literally or just that it makes him less human (because it's incest)? Or is it just his excuse that makes no sense at all and he just wants to have sex with his own daughters and the daughters believe the lie?
        I think you've got it the wrong way around...

Michael is trying to breed mortality out of his daughters. First woman Michael procreated with is 100% mortal, so the daughter will have half of Michael's immortality genes. He procreates with her, and their daughter has a bit more. And the next generation more. And so on and so on, till he gets an immortal daughter.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Oh, that makes more sense! I'm assuming you mean so his immortal daughter can become his immortal wife/lover?

But none of his daughters are currently immortal and they're clearly aging more rapidly (as in, the same rate as normal humans) than he is. So, he's not even close despite all those women/daughters. Not sure if that's realistic. Also, why just one daughter at the time? He'd probably have more chances with as many daughters as possible per generation. Considering what the youngest said about him forcing himself on her, he's not using science to manipulate the embryo for a more favorable outcome...

In Julia's flashback with the French girl, it seemed Ilaria is aware of Michael's existence but he's not of theirs? He became immortal at some point, right? Then why is he asking how Sarah became immortal? I would have expected him to already know all of this and perhaps seek one of his own instead of using his daughters...
          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Oh, that makes more sense! I'm assuming you mean so his immortal daughter can become his immortal wife/lover?
            If they said that, I missed it...but it's a reasonable guess -- as we found out, the guy clearly has no issue with incest.

But none of his daughters are currently immortal and they're clearly aging more rapidly (as in, the same rate as normal humans) than he is. So, he's not even close despite all those women/daughters. Not sure if that's realistic.
            Well, "realistic"...we're talking about immortals with silver eyes

Also, why just one daughter at the time? He'd probably have more chances with as many daughters as possible per generation. Considering what the youngest said about him forcing himself on her, he's not using science to manipulate the embryo for a more favorable outcome...
            Agreed, this struck me as strange as well. You would think he would have more than one at a time even just as control. What happens if the latest daughter falls and cracks her head open? I know Michael is immortal so apparently has all the time in the world, but if the latest daughter dies and her mother is too old for childbearing, he'd lose all the progress his incestuous experiments have made and have to start all over!

In Julia's flashback with the French girl, it seemed Ilaria is aware of Michael's existence but he's not of theirs? He became immortal at some point, right? Then why is he asking how Sarah became immortal? I would have expected him to already know all of this and perhaps seek one of his own instead of using his daughters...
            At one point this season they said that Michael has been on the island for 500 years. That makes his arrival year roughly 1515, long before the rise of corporations. So it makes sense he wouldn't be aware of them, and conversely, that they had five centuries to learn of his existence.

Regarding his (im)mortality, I just took it that he was born that way and thinks that he's the only one. Hence his questioning Sarah...he doesn't understand how there can be another, especially after 500 years of failed experiments on his own genetic line.

Obviously I could be completely off-base and we learn otherwise in the first five minutes of next week's episode But that was just how I interpreted the events of this one.

Comment

I'd say the reason he still hasn't achieved an immortal offspring might be because of exactly that happening, but then he'd really be stupid not to have more than one daughter at the time. I also wonder if he kills any possible sons, since he appears to be doing the impregnation part the natural way...

As for corporations, of course. However, I got the impression Ilaria has been around for a long time and probably started as an organization/cult before becoming a corporation, though.

Being born that way doesn't seem possible, considering the incredibly old immortal children we've met and all the other adults who are, in some cases, younger than said children. Also, Sarah's pregnancy is apparently suspended (although from what Peter said it sounded like she had it wrong), so how could Michael have been born that way?
              On FFnet or AO3

Comment

I will throw up my hands at this point and confess I have no idea

Comment

I'm pretty sure Michael knows about the other immortals, he was surprised about Sarah being immortal because she's not one of the ones that he knew. I think they were all together and knew each other at the beginning (500 yrs ago?), because I think he said something like "she can't be, she wasn't there", when his daughter/lover told him about Sarah.

I don't think there have been new immortals until Julia and then Sarah. Julia because she was Hatake's daughter and because of something Hatake did with the Narvik(sp?). I think it ended up activating her immortality gene or something like that. Sarah became immortal after she used the bone marrow donation from Julia to cure her cancer. I think Hatake was also looking for a way to make people immortal up in the Arctic (I remember him talking about wanting to give humanity a gift or something). Ilaria was only looking for a population control method and didn't like the idea of making more immortals (I think). That's why Hatake was trying to hide not only the fact that Julia was his daughter, but that she became immortal. It was also supposed to be really hard for immortals to conceive children (and I don't think it was even allowed). So Michael might have run off a long time ago to conduct his experiments in secret (maybe most of the Ilaria people don't know that he's still around, or don't know what exactly he's doing there). And only having one daughter per daughter might be because it's really hard to even get them pregnant to begin with.

I thought there was something icky about the way Michael was touching/caressing the women in the past episodes, so I wasn't surprised that they were is lovers as well as his daughters.
                  Last edited by VampyreWraith; 21 February 2015, 06:09 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X