Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Last Christmas

I just realised the reference to Time Heist.
    My expectations flopped like a balloon emptying out. I was hoping for some proper purple magic(not real magic, I guess, but a magic-related plot).

"Change, my dear. And it seems, not a moment too soon." - The Sixth Doctor.

Exploring space and time with the 9th doctor

Okay, but somehow underwhelming. I did like the softer Doctor, though.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/manephelien/avatars/deadtribbles.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by maneth View Post
    Okay, but somehow underwhelming. I did like the softer Doctor, though.
    The softer Doctor was great... Only having one or two cringe-worthy moments was much better than that of the previous season in terms of the Doctor's brashness...

RE underwhelming.... I guess in several respects, the story itself really lacked any strength given that it was rehashing 2 sci-fi concepts from "recent" scifi movies...
    as seen on YouTube - thecosmichobo
    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
    "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
    and lots more!

Lost in Paradise ~ Habbies, Habbies, Habbies!!

Corny but great was the bigger on the inside zinger!! loved it!!

teehee!!

I'd love to have Nick Frost as Santa in every Capaldi Christmas special, it would be glorious!

Quote Originally Posted by Replicator Todd View Post
    I'd love to have Nick Frost as Santa in every Capaldi Christmas special, it would be glorious!
    Me too, but without the "you're such an idiot" dialogue.

"Change, my dear. And it seems, not a moment too soon." - The Sixth Doctor.

Probie

Overall it's a good episode, but i was expecting bit more suspense. The previous special episode The Day of the Doctor was quite good!

I've just realised I didn't say what I thought of this episode at Christmas.

I really enjoyed it. I was a bit apprehensive about Santa being in Doctor Who, but I thought the explanation worked really well. I particularly liked dancing Shona and I hope that the Doctor and Clara will find her and she will be an additional companion. As Shona called the Doctor "a magician" and the next episode is called The Magician's Apprentice, I have hopes.

Does anyone else think that, at the end, the Doctor and Clara are still in a dream state?

It was Clara's house that got me thinking. In series 7 & 8 Clara lived in a high rise, in a normal flat, appropriate for a teacher.

But in Last Christmas she is living in a vast Victorian house, apparently all by herself. Now I know that most of it she was dreaming (and the Doctor even comments on the good details) - Santa on the roof, the meeting with Danny & elderly Clara were all in the same dream house. However, when she and the Doctor leave together in the TARDIS at the end of the episode, they are still in the same Victorian house. Did Clara come into a heap of money? Win the Lottery? I can't imagine a teacher in London being able to afford such a huge property by herself.

Then there is the business with Orson's toy soldier and the "3 months" Post-it notes in Dark Water. I am pretty much convinced that Orson is Clara & Danny's descendant but in Last Christmas there was absolutely no sign of a pregnancy or a baby. I was thinking having Clara in a dream for a while would be a good way of introducing a baby without having all the tedious business of a pregnant companion and the moral dilemmas of going off having potentionally dangerous adventures while leaving a child behind. Much in the same way it was handled with Amy.

So I'll be interested to see what happens at the beginning of S9. I don't know if Clara or the Doctor or both of them still have the dream crabs wrapped round their faces, but I guess they will have to hurry up & escape before their brains turn into soup - if that is indeed what happens when suffering from the crabs.
    Last edited by Blencathra; January 15th, 2015 at 06:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blencathra View Post
    I've just realised I didn't say what I thought of this episode at Christmas.

I really enjoyed it. I was a bit apprehensive about Santa being in Doctor Who, but I thought the explanation worked really well. I particularly liked dancing Shona and I hope that the Doctor and Clara will find her and she will be an additional companion. As Shona called the Doctor "a magician" and the next episode is called The Magician's Apprentice, I have hopes.

Does anyone else think that, at the end, the Doctor and Clara are still in a dream state?

It was Clara's house that got me thinking. In series 7 & 8 Clara lived in a high rise, in a normal flat, appropriate for a teacher.

But in Last Christmas she is living in a vast Victorian house, apparently all by herself. Now I know that most of it she was dreaming (and the Doctor even comments on the good details) - Santa on the roof, the meeting with Danny & elderly Clara were all in the same dream house. However, when she and the Doctor leave together in the TARDIS at the end of the episode, they are still in the same Victorian house. Did Clara come into a heap of money? Win the Lottery? I can't imagine a teacher in London being able to afford such a huge property by herself.

Then there is the business with Orson's toy soldier and the "3 months" Post-it notes in Dark Water. I am pretty much convinced that Orson is Clara & Danny's descendant but in Last Christmas there was absolutely no sign of a pregnancy or a baby. I was thinking having Clara in a dream for a while would be a good way of introducing a baby without having all the tedious business of a pregnant companion and the moral dilemmas of going off having potentionally dangerous adventures while leaving a child behind. Much in the same way it was handled with Amy.

So I'll be interested to see what happens at the beginning of S9. I don't know if Clara or the Doctor or both of them still have the dream crabs wrapped round their faces, but I guess they will have to hurry up & escape before their brains turn into soup - if that is indeed what happens when suffering from the crabs.
    Also of interest... recall the events of Dark Water, the volcano looks an awful lot like where The Doctor woke p at the end of Last Christmas... could that indicate that the entirety of Death in Heaven was a dream too? *hopeful*

"Five Rounds Rapid"

You could be on to something there. Could Clara be in her flat and half way through her conversation with Danny gets attacked by a dream crab. Hmmmmmm.....

They're not going to undo Danny's death... Well, I don't believe they will. If so, they'd have done it in the finale, not next season...
    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
    and lots more!

Danny would still be dead, just not cyber-dead.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

I was just watching this again last night.

I think some important lines to remember are these, from when the Doctor was talking to Clara in her dream house...

DOCTOR: How long do you think you've been here?

CLARA: All day.

DOCTOR: No. No, no, no. Barely five minutes. Because dream time goes faster.

I'm still inclined to think that the beginning of S9 may not be set in the real world.

If it isn't real then whatever is experienced in the dream world will only take a fraction of the time of that passing in the real world. Weeks and months could go by the dream world, but it would be only hours in the real world. A bit like going to Narnia really.

Ahh, so you think the dream didn't end...

Time to burn something into the Doctor's forearm...
    and lots more!

It's Clara's house that makes me think the dream continues. It's all wrong. At the end of S8 she lived in a flat in a tower block. Now she suddenly lives in a vast Victorian house in London. It must be worth millions. She gets all that on a teacher's salary?! Or perhaps she had Danny Pink insured.

At the beginning of Last Christmas Clara gets out of bed and sees Santa on her roof, which is all part of the dream. At the end of Last Christmas the Doctor and Clara run out of the same Victorian house and into the TARDIS. To my mind if the dream had ended Clara should have woken up back in her flat.
    Last edited by Blencathra; September 7th, 2015 at 02:54 AM.

The house may simply fit the (rumours?) that Clara was leaving, and going to exit as the old lady... who may by then have afforded the nice house?

Then Jenna changed her mind..?
    and lots more!

Could be.... But there again I've never bought into the idea that Jenna was leaving. I thought it was a bit of hype to add some "will she be staying or will she be leaving" tension to the Christmas special.

Anyway, watching The Magician's Apprentice may throw more light on the matter. I do think it's worth bearing in mind that if things don't quite add up then all may not be quite what it seems.
    Last edited by Blencathra; September 8th, 2015 at 03:06 AM.