X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last Christmas (2014)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO - SPECIALS
    LAST CHRISTMAS
    Clara and the Doctor arrive on an arctic base under siege by terrifying creatures that place people into a dream state -- and they may be the next victims, unless they can be saved by none other than Santa Claus.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 31 December 2014, 09:57 PM.

Moffats back at his best, not that hes really been away...

Easily one of the best Christmas Specials I think, wonder if anyone else will be returning...

Also, Season 9 theme already, who wants The Doctor and Clara to have a second chance???

Comment

Not me.
      But yeah, I thought it started badly, but redeemed itself by the end.
      Why the heck does the Doctor wear a hoodie? Is he hoping it'll attract the Master?
      "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

1. I have watched Inception so I got what was going on. My 10 year old niece has not seen Inception. She was confused as hell.

2. Interesting way they played Father Christmas here.

3. Old Clara...Puhleese...the one bit of cheese in the entire ep.

As people have said though...one of the better eps.
        I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

"There's a horror movie called 'Alien'? That's really offensive, no wonder you keep getting invaded."

Loved that line!
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

First you can't blink, then you can't breath, now you can't think...
            how much further can he go with it?
            Last edited by rushy; 26 December 2014, 04:46 AM.
            "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
              how much further than he go with it?
              It's not that you can' think... You just can't think about crabs... Which is more than reasonable rationale on the whole really.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

By and large, I loved this ep.

Paul - you're right, that was a great line. Realistically, it's like having a horror movie called 'Foreigner' or 'Immigrant'. It's pretty offensive...

I'm slightly dissapointed, but not overly, by the fact that none of it was 'real'... but that's because I just absolutely bloody love the idea of a scientific research base at the north pole under alien siege and being rescued by Santa. Pure frakkin wonderful awesomness. The dream within a dream thing definitely worked, but it IS a shame that it wasn't 'real'.

Absolutely loved Father Christmas in this, really well played - the most realistic FC since the dearly departed Sir Richard Attenborough in Miracle on 34th St (though of course - totally different). In my head-canon, Santa is a real part of the Whoniverse and shall be forever represented by Nick Frost.

I have only one major criticism though.

The ending.

I got genuinely choked up with the elderly Clara thing, and the reverse situation with the cracker was so well played. But the sudden reversal of the situation didn't work for me. It was too quick, and too easy. I didn't buy the whole 'second chance' thing, because either Clara was old, or she wasn't. Which was she when she got attacked by the dream-crab? It felt to me as if at the very last minute of filming Jenna Coleman decided to return for Series 9 and they had to change the ending with absolutely no budget or time left. I'm also a little disapointed as I'm very ready for a new companion - I was kinda hoping that the lass who started off the episode by stealth-dancing through the dreamcrab infested infirmery might have have been on the cards...

Final negative point - despite the fact that I genuinely enjoyed this episode (the Sleigh ride through London was absolutely delightful) - I came away wishing that it had been Matt Smith in the starring role. I'm finding the regeneration really difficult this time, which is odd - given that I embraced the change from 8 to 9 to 10 and to 11 (and sorta War Doctor as well) so very easily, and love the Classic Doctors (sometimes more than current ones)... But I just feel a little bit like Moffat is still writing for Eleven. It's genuinely not that Capaldi is bad, because he isn't, it's just it all seems like Eleven would be the better fit for a lot of the episodes... Does anyone else feel this way?

Complaints aside - wonderful episode, infinitely better than the atocious and offensive Death in Heaven, and I'm looking forward to Series 9!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

how much further than he go with it?
                  Exactly my thoughts when he said "don't think." What next, don't run with scissors? Don't look down? Don't swim for an hour after eating a meal? Don't wear white after Labor Day?

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                  Final negative point - despite the fact that I genuinely enjoyed this episode (the Sleigh ride through London was absolutely delightful) - I came away wishing that it had been Matt Smith in the starring role.
                  I don't think I'm ever going to adjust, I miss him so much.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                    It's not that you can' think... You just can't think about crabs... Which is more than reasonable rationale on the whole really.
                    Didn't they already cover the 'you can't think part' in the Time Heist with the Teller?

sigpic
                    Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

I got really scared when I saw Santa in the trailer and even more terrified when he landed on Clara's roof. But, I love their explanation for that. And I am very happy Jenna decided to stick around as Clara. And I think this is one of the best if not the best Christmas specials.

sigpic
                      Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                      https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                        By and large, I loved this ep.

Paul - you're right, that was a great line. Realistically, it's like having a horror movie called 'Foreigner' or 'Immigrant'. It's pretty offensive...

I'm slightly dissapointed, but not overly, by the fact that none of it was 'real'... but that's because I just absolutely bloody love the idea of a scientific research base at the north pole under alien siege and being rescued by Santa. Pure frakkin wonderful awesomness. The dream within a dream thing definitely worked, but it IS a shame that it wasn't 'real'.

Absolutely loved Father Christmas in this, really well played - the most realistic FC since the dearly departed Sir Richard Attenborough in Miracle on 34th St (though of course - totally different). In my head-canon, Santa is a real part of the Whoniverse and shall be forever represented by Nick Frost.

I have only one major criticism though.

The ending.

I got genuinely choked up with the elderly Clara thing, and the reverse situation with the cracker was so well played. But the sudden reversal of the situation didn't work for me. It was too quick, and too easy. I didn't buy the whole 'second chance' thing, because either Clara was old, or she wasn't. Which was she when she got attacked by the dream-crab? It felt to me as if at the very last minute of filming Jenna Coleman decided to return for Series 9 and they had to change the ending with absolutely no budget or time left. I'm also a little disapointed as I'm very ready for a new companion - I was kinda hoping that the lass who started off the episode by stealth-dancing through the dreamcrab infested infirmery might have have been on the cards...

Final negative point - despite the fact that I genuinely enjoyed this episode (the Sleigh ride through London was absolutely delightful) - I came away wishing that it had been Matt Smith in the starring role. I'm finding the regeneration really difficult this time, which is odd - given that I embraced the change from 8 to 9 to 10 and to 11 (and sorta War Doctor as well) so very easily, and love the Classic Doctors (sometimes more than current ones)... But I just feel a little bit like Moffat is still writing for Eleven. It's genuinely not that Capaldi is bad, because he isn't, it's just it all seems like Eleven would be the better fit for a lot of the episodes... Does anyone else feel this way?

Complaints aside - wonderful episode, infinitely better than the atocious and offensive Death in Heaven, and I'm looking forward to Series 9!
                        Actually, I read somewhere that Moffat said he writes the same for all Doctors. So technically, he's still writing for the Ninth Doctor...

And yes, that girl would've been a terrific companion, I really liked her.

Comment

The line about 'Aliens' made me laugh too. Enjoyed this on the whole. The whole idea of a dream inside a dream always a scary mind bending idea, wondering whether what's being experienced is real. The moments with Clara believing she was still with Danny were poignant. I liked the sheer enjoyment of all on the sleigh ride over London. Is it just me, but Santa really sounded and acted like it was Ricky Gervais playing him at times?

Whilst I think Matt Smith had more of a presence as the Doctor I do like Peter Capaldi, he's a lot less frenetic and I think that's what I have to get used to.

Comment

Actually, I read somewhere that Moffat said he writes the same for all Doctors. So technically, he's still writing for the Ninth Doctor...
                            Whereas I thought it was said on a very recent documentary about sci-fi that one of the great things is they all have different personalities. [And I've just deleted it from the DVR...]

Comment

Alien (face huggers)... Inception (dream inside a dream)... & Red Dwarf (stuck in a dream about Xmas)... Die Hard (sorry, that line, with or without the last word, always makes me think of John McClane)

I loved this story. Basically apart from the scene where the Doctor first thinks he's saved the day, and rushes off to the TARDIS, I loved what I hope is his new no-longer-crapping-on-about-being-a-Good-Man persona. Did fall back into the grumpy man for a moment then, but I am hoping it was an exception to the rule now - which is fine with me.

Yes, the old/young Clara made no sense to me... and I think I'd followed it up til then. According to Doctor Who News (taken from somewhere else) Jenna was keeping her cards close to her chest... so maybe indeed i was a last minute change??

The waking up sleigh ride was lovely and sad and - oddly enough - if it had been Smith, I'd have groaned... but seeing Capaldi (12) enjoying himself so purely just felt great, IMO.

As to Clara staying... I was THRILLED. I hated the relationship this series, but have hopes that it will be much improved in series 9 - along with 12's personality.
                              back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                              "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                              "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                              and lots more!

Comment

Working...
                              X