Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puddle Jumper - Speed?

Hey guys,

I've been searching on the internet for about twenty minutes, but can't find an answer. What's the max speed of the puddle jumper (hyperdrive aside)? I assume the jumper would be equipped with sublight engines?

So how long would it take for a puddle jumper to get from Earth to the moon for example? Light takes about 1-2 seconds to reach us, but the jumper would fly below the speed of light.
    sigpic

There is a thread here if you want to read it, dont know if it will help
    http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/7...or-Defiant-One

Apparently the jumper can travel thro a star system in 15 hours thats from Stargate Wiki
    Last edited by pookey; 12 December 2014, 11:34 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

If you consider that the planet Atlantis is on is about the same distance away from it's parent star as Earth is (~150,000,000 km), and given the fact that the ancient defense satellite was posistioned in the 3rd Star-Planet LaGrange point on the far side of the star, they'd need to travel about 375,000,000 km in order to safely avoid the star.
      375,000,000 km in 54,000 seconds (15 hours) is ~7,000 km/s, which is about 2.5% light speed.
      A poster called Jarnin came up with this
      sigpic

Comment

Oh thanks! Great! That says the puddle jumper goes at about 2% the speed of light. Now light takes 1.3 seconds from the moon to Earth.

So if the puddle jumper goes only 2% as fast, it should take approx. 1.3 x 50 = 65 seconds for the puddle jumper to get there at full speed, right? (2% = 2/100 = 1/50) Or am I totally off with my math here? I sucked at math, and I haven't done these kinds of calculations in about 15 years. Somehow I feel like I don't even know what I'm doing here anymore. >.<

But I don't wanna get it wrong in my fic.
        sigpic

Comment

Whoops somehow it posted twice. Sorry!!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kimberley Jackson View Post
            Oh thanks! Great! That says the puddle jumper goes at about 2% the speed of light. Now light takes 1.3 seconds from the moon to Earth.

So if the puddle jumper goes only 2% as fast, it should take approx. 1.3 x 50 = 65 seconds for the puddle jumper to get there at full speed, right? (2% = 2/100 = 1/50) Or am I totally off with my math here? I sucked at math, and I haven't done these kinds of calculations in about 15 years. Somehow I feel like I don't even know what I'm doing here anymore. >.<

But I don't wanna get it wrong in my fic.
            It depends on how fast the jumper accelerates. It can't possibly fly at 2%C in the atmosphere (unless you want a thermonuclear fireball to streak across the sky), so it would have to travel to orbit at much, MUCH lower speeds.

Lastly, the concept of "max speed" in space does not exist. The jumper seems to use some reactionless drive, so it could indefinitely accelerate until it ran out of power. Therefore, while the average speed in Defiant One was 2%c, it can't possibly reach that on a trip to the moon.

Comment

Working...
            X