Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Major General

Default Ascension (Syfy) News/Discussion

Anyone going to be catching that new show, ascention about the space "Life boat" that was sent away from earth supposedly in the 60s?

Default Re: Ascension (Syfy) News/Discussion

I will definitely give it a shot, though I think its a new mini series rather than a new show.

I'll try it if the reviews aren't awful.

And I will matter what the reviews say
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    And I will matter what the reviews say
    I hear you. My default is to watch it, but I do follow a couple of reviewers that have earned my trust. If they both say it's awful, then I'll pass on the series, with gratitude for not having my time wasted. (I'd rather waste it here, apparently.)

Its impossible for me to waste my time since my time is worthless (paraphrased Futurama reference btw)

Major General

Since it will be running at the same time Scorpion is, i will have to catch it online.

Your still watching Scorpion? I watched the first episode and have never even considered watching another one. Does the show get better?

Major General

Several episodes, yes. Some like this weeks were Meh..

"Ascension" started at 6:00 p.m., Pacific Coast Time (which is where I live). Thus far, I'm not at all impressed with it. So unless it gets a lot more interesting, I won't continue watching it.

Major General

With the big 'reveal' at the end that
    Spoiler:
    its all a fake big massive project to see how humanity would last out there for 100 years
    a lot of the interest i had for this has gone down the tube. BUT i will still give the last 2 parts a watch.

Yes. I will watch it. I like the premise. this will be my Christmas show this year

As it stands (having seen roughly three hours of it, the latter parts not nearly final), Ascension has tons of potential and meets a little more than half of it in this early going. But here’s the thing – Ascension almost demands that it be allowed to breathe and grow. It has all the bones to be a good Syfy series and is certainly a better long term bet than Defiance and Dominion.

Excerpted from: 'Ascension': TV Review - The Hollywood Reporter

Best line: "There are, in fact, so many naked butts parading around Ascension – including Helfer’s, in an attempt to break the internet – that Syfy could have called it Asscension instead."

Captain

Interesting premise, but the reveal kind of spoils it, since we now know something nobody on the ship does, they should have left it until the end to do the reveal, or not at all during this jini series if they intended for this to go to series, so they could use it as a big reveal at the end of a season or something.

I've been spoilt by the falling skies way of doing things I think, knowing this now cheapens the 'ship' side of the story.

Spoiler:
    since we know they're not on a frakking ship lol, but i must admit, it wasn't until the guy was sucked out into space that i twigged, since he didn't seem to be having any ill effects whilst floating away, I think I actually said out loud, that's not space right before he hit the mat lol
    Last edited by Ian-S; December 16th, 2014 at 02:50 PM.

On a technical side, I'm quite curious how they're doing artificial gravity on the ship when it's still standing vertically in a launch silo.
    <a href=http://slightlyremoved.wordpress.com/ target=_blank>http://slightlyremoved.wordpress.com/</a>

Major General

Let alone how are they keeping everyone inside from seeing the reality outside.

Well! That was certainly a cliffhanger. Some folks wondered if Syfy was planning on the show being continued as a series. With an ending like this one, there's no way they weren't thinking of continuing it as a series.

I was really bummed by some of the events at the end. Especially the "where" in the case of one character.

Captain

Yeah, I take back what I said earlier, it did add to the story, but holy cow that was quiet a cliffhanger, I read somewhere they were waiting on viewing figures before deciding whether to take it to series, hope they do actually, any boy know what the viewership figures have been?

From the way they lumped all the episodes together one would be forgiven for thinking that they had already decided not to goto series as it gives the impression of wanting to burn the story off quick, but I dunno, didn't they do this with the BSG mini series too?

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Let alone how are they keeping everyone inside from seeing the reality outside.
    Contrast, similar to how you cannot see a lot of detail outside your room window at night when the lights are on (assuming you don't live in a very well lit street) inside, but as soon as you switch the interior lights off and the same amount of light is available both inside and out, you'll be able to see outside just fine. It looks like the ship is in a huge dome type structure with the fake space being projects on the big dome fixtures,there only looks to be one vantage point outside so it would be mostly dark, with the amount of light and limited windows on the ship, they simply wouldn't see past the stars.

As for gravity, I think that's the part where we're expected to suspend belief lol.
    Last edited by Ian-S; December 18th, 2014 at 05:10 PM.

I didn't find anything that showed the ratings for all three episodes, but found this:

Last night Syfy aired the first episode in its new three-episode "event series" Ascension, and it looks like the premiere didn’t do too badly at all. The first episode premiered last night to pretty strong ratings for Syfy, pulling in 1.8 million viewers overall. Beyond that, the show boasted the second highest number of tweets for a scripted show on the network; the only episode of a Syfy show that has been able to beat it was the 2013 series premiere of Defiance.

While 1.8 million isn’t a huge audience, especially when you compare Ascension to cable shows on other networks that crush (like The Walking Dead, which nabs well over 10 million eyeballs every week, give or take a million), for a Syfy drama, 1.8 is a pretty strong showing. Shows like Dominion and Defiance have kicked off their runs on Syfy around the 2 million mark, and have tapered off to a more consistent viewership of around 1.5 million. To help explain Ascension’s viewership further, this past season of Haven, one of the Syfy's mainstay programs, had an audience just below or at 1 million, so the event series is well up from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Archaeis View Post
    On a technical side, I'm quite curious how they're doing artificial gravity on the ship when it's still standing vertically in a launch silo.
    It's pretty simple. The decks on 'Ascension' are horizontal as it stands on the ground. They're experiencing Earth gravity as everyone else out of the ship.

And as for the illusion those on the ship believe in: Ascension can create a semblance of earth gravity by steadily accelerating 'up' (head first as they're standing on decks). Having a nuclear reactor to power it (and hopefully enough fuel), it can thus accelerate for a long, long while. The moment it stops accelerating, all things aboard would experience weightlessness (that's potentially bad if hundreds of people are living in what seems like normal Earth environment with plenty unattached objects around). But in theory, such a ship would never really have to stop accelerating. For instance, it could keep accelerating for half the expected path travelled, then turn around (thanks to some small maneuvering side thrusters - this would however be a moment of potential weightlessness or other mess because of the turnaround) and fire up the engine again, this time accelerating in the opposite direction. That would in fact be slowing down the ship on approach of its target destination.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast