Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1996 "Preliminary" Theme Music

G'day,

In early 1996 Philip Segal played a piece of music at a press conference for his upcoming tv movie, "Doctor Who", staring Paul McGann. The music was John Debney's unfinished version of the Doctor Who theme tune, performed by an electronic orchestra, and thanks to the rather fledgling world wide web, the music was shared around the world by excited fans.

I've no doubt rambled on about this before, and I make no apologies for that! 1996 was a huge year for me in fandom, and this piece of music still chokes me up nearly as much as the 1980 version that I adored as a kid. Trying to download the 2mb file on my 14.4k modem was a nightmare, as the file kept stalling, leaving me with just the first few seconds, cutting out just after the first recognisable dum-de-dum chords... until finally obtaining the full file and having a massive nerdgasm.

A few months later, when I finally sat down to watch the Telemovie via the VHS copy I'd had flown over from the UK (because the extra month's wait for the Aussie air-date was just too much!), I was a little disappointed with the changes made to the theme from the version that Segal had unveiled. It was minor, yes, but the dum-de-dum's had been sped up, and stupid asteroid noises added over top to match the visuals... (How dare they do that?? That's absurd!)

Well, a while ago I did a pretty rough cut of a "full" version of McGann's title sequence, using what I had originally dubbed as the "preliminary" version of the theme tune. It removes the voice-over intro, and also the Master's eyes, both details that I had removed from my "Master-less" fan-edit of the movie... I popped it on YouTube, but their scrubbers flagged it and blocked it worldwide...

I have however continued to use the dum-de-dum from the preliminary theme as a little coda at the end of most of my YouTube Doctor Who videos. A while ago someone contacted me, as they recognised where that music was from, and wanted to hear the full version once again. After scouring the net for them, thinking it should still be "out there", I failed to track it down... And as such I tried once again to upload my 8th Doc Title Sequence... but again, the BBC didn't like it...

Presented here for your enjoyment is the "preliminary" version of Debney's 1996 Doctor Who theme tune, which is in no way complimented by the rough-cut title sequence, which I had to disguise using YouTube's own colour filters in order to hide the TARDIS from their scrubbers :}

(In fact - just do what I did all those years ago... turn the music up, (read the written intro) and close your eyes...)

Last edited by cosmichobo; 05 December 2014, 01:30 PM.
    back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
    "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
    and lots more!

hmmm. I can't say I like it as much as the one they went with. It sounds way too slow. Still sounds cool though, that theme always does.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I'm with Paul... I prefer the one that was actually used.

Even more so, I prefer this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1mIpHEPcZo

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Aw I love it! It sounds much more awe-some(in the more literal sense), its so much btr than the current one
        "Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinded critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all." Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
          G'day,

In early 1996 Philip Segal played a piece of music at a press conference for his upcoming tv movie, "Doctor Who", staring Paul McGann. The music was John Debney's unfinished version of the Doctor Who theme tune, performed by an electronic orchestra, and thanks to the rather fledgling world wide web, the music was shared around the world by excited fans.

I've no doubt rambled on about this before, and I make no apologies for that! 1996 was a huge year for me in fandom, and this piece of music still chokes me up nearly as much as the 1980 version that I adored as a kid. Trying to download the 2mb file on my 14.4k modem was a nightmare, as the file kept stalling, leaving me with just the first few seconds, cutting out just after the first recognisable dum-de-dum chords... until finally obtaining the full file and having a massive nerdgasm.

A few months later, when I finally sat down to watch the Telemovie via the VHS copy I'd had flown over from the UK (because the extra month's wait for the Aussie air-date was just too much!), I was a little disappointed with the changes made to the theme from the version that Segal had unveiled. It was minor, yes, but the dum-de-dum's had been sped up, and stupid asteroid noises added over top to match the visuals... (How dare they do that?? That's absurd!)

Well, a while ago I did a pretty rough cut of a "full" version of McGann's title sequence, using what I had originally dubbed as the "preliminary" version of the theme tune. It removes the voice-over intro, and also the Master's eyes, both details that I had removed from my "Master-less" fan-edit of the movie... I popped it on YouTube, but their scrubbers flagged it and blocked it worldwide...

I have however continued to use the dum-de-dum from the preliminary theme as a little coda at the end of most of my YouTube Doctor Who videos. A while ago someone contacted me, as they recognised where that music was from, and wanted to hear the full version once again. After scouring the net for them, thinking it should still be "out there", I failed to track it down... And as such I tried once again to upload my 8th Doc Title Sequence... but again, the BBC didn't like it...

Presented here for your enjoyment is the "preliminary" version of Debney's 1996 Doctor Who theme tune, which is in no way complimented by the rough-cut title sequence, which I had to disguise using YouTube's own colour filters in order to hide the TARDIS from their scrubbers :}

(In fact - just do what I did all those years ago... turn the music up, (read the written intro) and close your eyes...)

Any chance of viewing said fanedit?
          "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
            Any chance of viewing said fanedit?
            I pretty much hated Eric Robert's Master from the initial viewing, and in the late 90's used 2 VCRs to make my own version of the telemovie, that cuts the Master out entirely. Then circa 2005 with a more powerful home PC (aka eMac) and proper editing software (aka Final Cut), I did the job properly... I cut the story into episodes, and removed the Master... possibly the half human nonsense too! My wife's comment... "Why'd you make it make no sense?" Critics...

For a while I had it on YouTube in 6 parts, and basically viewers were very much either in favour or against the idea - no middle ground... Ultimately however, I took it down, as I felt it was just going "too far" - it's one thing to create a fanvid that goes for a few minutes and put it on YouTube, but it's another to put a 60 minute fan cut on there...
            "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
            and lots more!

Comment

I don't think it's a problem at all.
              If you posted the whole movie there, then yes, but a fanedit isn't much worse than putting up your favourite clips of things.
              But who's the villain then?
              "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                But who's the villain then?
                Ahh, well, see, it's just kind of... a situation... Chang Lee opens the Eye accidentally whilst roaming the TARDIS... It does get a bit messy toward the end... :}
                and lots more!

Comment

My "Masterless" Edit of the Telemovie!

Came across it today whilst reorganising my files, and thought - what the heck, should put it back on my channel... It's actually now in dispute, so if you want to see it, get in fast! Hopefully BBC Brand Protection will let it through like my other "mash ups"... but if not, it'll be banned shortly...
                  and lots more!

Comment

Working...
                  X