How come Kavanagh is such a jerk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
    Because the writers said "let's make a totally fine guy a jerk".

Really, that scene with Weir makes me cringe, because it's so forced. Kavanaugh makes a valid point. Weir acts hostile, then when kavanaugh asks for clarification she downright declares war on him.

Kavanaugh simply points out the jumper could explode. They even inform Mckay of it, who then says "yea i knew, i'm cautious. If i make the mistake, i can warn you and you can raise the shield in time" Weir makes a big deal out of a small thing. really, if kavanaugh said that, Weir had someone tell Mckay, mkcay confirms, then this forced stuff wouldn't have happened.

In Letters they do this again. After breaking numerous rules and doing tons of dumb stuff (Poisoning the well and Underground for instance), his legitimate complaints are just plain ignored by Weir and so he turns to the next in command.

Should i mention that if this were in the MW, Weir and Sheppard would've been fired?

So yea, Kavanaugh is a good guy. Maybe not the kind you want to hang out with, but this whole hostility thing makes no sense.
    You have expressed how i always felt about Kavanaugh, the writers just ridiculously went out of their way to have Weir and the rest of the cast be hostile to him no matter what he said.
    sigpic
    The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

To be honest Kavanagh had a point, Elizabeth Weir was a bloody idiot. When the SG personnel wouldnt execute prisoners/enemies (Michael, for example) what could possibly make you believe that they would consider executing a innocent member of staff?

Comment

Kavanagh was a jerk but nothing compared to Rush... Unlocking destiny's master code and having access to the bridge and not telling anyone, that is beyond being a jerk. Kavanagh wasn't even smart though, I don't get why they kept him around.

Comment

Kavanagh gets to play the coward always thinking first about himself and having no faith in human ability and doing the honorable things, I think he brings a good contrast as it is like a opposite to Sheppard who is always willing to sacrifice himself first, but also he is useful to make things funny like when he activates the self destruct on the Midway station.
          sigpic

Comment

Kavanagh's not bad. He's just written that way.

Apologies to Jessica Rabbit
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAnNvnViJpo#t=46

Comment

Originally posted by jackisback View Post
              Kavanagh gets to play the coward always thinking first about himself and having no faith in human ability and doing the honorable things, I think he brings a good contrast as it is like a opposite to Sheppard who is always willing to sacrifice himself first, but also he is useful to make things funny like when he activates the self destruct on the Midway station.
              Of course he had no faith in humanity after the 38 minutes incident. Being reprimanded for doing the right thing (keeping everyone safe), then having Mckay point out the exact same thing and nobody bats an eye... When i rewatched SGA it just was one of the biggest WTF moments. It was really, really bad writing.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                Because the writers said "let's make a totally fine guy a jerk".

Really, that scene with Weir makes me cringe, because it's so forced. Kavanaugh makes a valid point. Weir acts hostile, then when kavanaugh asks for clarification she downright declares war on him.

Kavanaugh simply points out the jumper could explode. They even inform Mckay of it, who then says "yea i knew, i'm cautious. If i make the mistake, i can warn you and you can raise the shield in time" Weir makes a big deal out of a small thing. really, if kavanaugh said that, Weir had someone tell Mckay, mkcay confirms, then this forced stuff wouldn't have happened.

In Letters they do this again. After breaking numerous rules and doing tons of dumb stuff (Poisoning the well and Underground for instance), his legitimate complaints are just plain ignored by Weir and so he turns to the next in command.

Should i mention that if this were in the MW, Weir and Sheppard would've been fired?

So yea, Kavanaugh is a good guy. Maybe not the kind you want to hang out with, but this whole hostility thing makes no sense.

I am completely with you on that one. That scene from 38 minutes was an odd writing choice. He wasn't wrong to bring up a problem that could literally kill everyone in the expedition. In watching it again, hes not even all that hostile at first. It was a high stress situation, but for Weir to accuse him of "trying to save his own ass" is a bit of a stretch.

Then the follow up interaction they had was even worse. I dont really blame him for confronting her, possibly not the best timing, but I get his frustration. They later make him much more of a jerk, so the character is solidified in a way that makes sense, but this introduction was over the top.

They tell him to focus more on saving the 5 lives on the jumper, but what about the lives of everyone on the base?

Like I said, he is definitely made out to be a total jerk in later episodes and the actor plays it well, but he really didnt do anything wrong in his first appearance, he even was the one who saved them by telling them to open the rear door to get through the gate.

Comment

I feel he's there to make Weir look good. He disagrees with her and she has to put him in her place to show that she is a good leader. Except, theat's not what a good leader should do. She should address his concerns and the fact that them not seeing eye to eye should NOT automatically put him as suspect #1 when things go bad, as well as his issues with her ethics and him feeling safe on Atlantis given them.

This is a big cliche that bothers me. When a diplomat female and military man have problems, she has to put him in her place instead of showing she understands where hes coming from (you know, using diplomacy), that way she can show she's the leader despite having boobs.
                  Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

They Badly wrote up a Quasi Jerk character. All of the concerns mentioned above about how Dr Weir handled him in 38 Minutes were completely spot on. The writers could have created the character of Kavanagh pretty easily.

S.S.

Comment

I honestly don't see him as a jerk.

He was right in 38 minutes technically. That's called following procedure.

He protested Weir twice about the violations of the Geneva convention. That's not like she ate his cookie, that's war crimes. And all she did was belittle him instead of actually addressing hte issue like a diplomat.

And he's a coward. It happens. He works on computers, not fighting people-eating monsters.
                      Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

Working...
                      X