How come Kavanagh is such a jerk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How come Kavanagh is such a jerk?

I always hated the character but n 38 Minute's he's such a huge jerk.

Why didn't they shove him in the gate and turn it off?
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Because that would be murder.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Well, they can't just execute someone for being an arse.

sigpic
      Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
      https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

It would solve our planet's population problem
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Who decides who's a jerk? Are they jerks? Are you fond of recursion?

Besides, he makes McKay look like less of a jerk. That's a valuable public service.

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

She has a point. Just taking kavanagh as an easy example. People who disagree with him see him as a jerk. People who agree with him sees the people who disagree with him as jerks. In the end, everyone's a jerk in someone else's eyes.

sigpic
            Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
            https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
              I always hated the character but n 38 Minute's he's such a huge jerk.

Why didn't they shove him in the gate and turn it off?
              Because the writers said "let's make a totally fine guy a jerk".

Really, that scene with Weir makes me cringe, because it's so forced. Kavanaugh makes a valid point. Weir acts hostile, then when kavanaugh asks for clarification she downright declares war on him.

Kavanaugh simply points out the jumper could explode. They even inform Mckay of it, who then says "yea i knew, i'm cautious. If i make the mistake, i can warn you and you can raise the shield in time" Weir makes a big deal out of a small thing. really, if kavanaugh said that, Weir had someone tell Mckay, mkcay confirms, then this forced stuff wouldn't have happened.

In Letters they do this again. After breaking numerous rules and doing tons of dumb stuff (Poisoning the well and Underground for instance), his legitimate complaints are just plain ignored by Weir and so he turns to the next in command.

Should i mention that if this were in the MW, Weir and Sheppard would've been fired?

So yea, Kavanaugh is a good guy. Maybe not the kind you want to hang out with, but this whole hostility thing makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                Because the writers said "let's make a totally fine guy a jerk".

Really, that scene with Weir makes me cringe, because it's so forced. Kavanaugh makes a valid point. Weir acts hostile, then when kavanaugh asks for clarification she downright declares war on him.

Kavanaugh simply points out the jumper could explode. They even inform Mckay of it, who then says "yea i knew, i'm cautious. If i make the mistake, i can warn you and you can raise the shield in time" Weir makes a big deal out of a small thing. really, if kavanaugh said that, Weir had someone tell Mckay, mkcay confirms, then this forced stuff wouldn't have happened.

In Letters they do this again. After breaking numerous rules and doing tons of dumb stuff (Poisoning the well and Underground for instance), his legitimate complaints are just plain ignored by Weir and so he turns to the next in command.

Should i mention that if this were in the MW, Weir and Sheppard would've been fired?

So yea, Kavanaugh is a good guy. Maybe not the kind you want to hang out with, but this whole hostility thing makes no sense.

Yeah I never really noticed this character much the first and second time I watched Atlantis but he's really standing out to me now..... I just felt that whole scene with Weir was contrived.

Comment

Originally posted by Britta View Post
                  Who decides who's a jerk? Are they jerks? Are you fond of recursion?

Besides, he makes McKay look like less of a jerk. That's a valuable public service.
                  McKay's just about as much of a jerk. The difference is that he can back it up and Kavanagh can't.

Comment

You could say they're two sides of the same coin. Kavanagh is a poor loser, McKay is a poor winner.

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

Originally posted by Starsaber View Post
                      McKay's just about as much of a jerk. The difference is that he can back it up and Kavanagh can't.
                      Mckay became more of a jerk as the show progressed. He was actually somewhat nice to Zelenka early on.

Comment

He is probably a nerd who got bullied at school
                        sigpic

Dr.Rodney McKay: Their operating system is a mess, thank goodness I remember DOS

Hallowed are the Ori

Stargate Space Simulator- http://marcusdamli.wix.com/stargate-eternity

Comment

Having now finished Atlantis yeah.......Both of them are jerks of varying degrees

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops
                            OK I have to agree now having watched again. It's like some weird switch went off inside her head.
                            Well i didn't notice it before my rewatch either. There are plenty more weird things going on in S1, like how Weir apparently never gave sheppard or anyone on SGA-1 an introduction class to negotiations, or a meeting on what exactly is classified and non-classified for non-atlantis personnel.

Poisoning the Well and Underground come to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                              Well i didn't notice it before my rewatch either. There are plenty more weird things going on in S1, like how Weir apparently never gave sheppard or anyone on SGA-1 an introduction class to negotiations, or a meeting on what exactly is classified and non-classified for non-atlantis personnel.

Poisoning the Well and Underground come to mind.

I have to agree again. Like I said above. I watched this single episode again and it's like I said. Feels like some weird switch went off inside Weir's head and she just goes psycho on him....

Felt very out of character for what we have seen of Weir so far too.

Comment

Working...
                              X