• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Things We Bury (208)

Visit the Episode GuideAGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. - SEASON TWO
    THE THINGS WE BURY
    EPISODE NUMBER - 208
    The team discovers Dr. Whitehall's long history with Hydra, and Coulson leads a dangerous mission to secure a tool to locate the ancient city. While Bobbi interrogates Sunil Bakshi, Ward kidnaps his Senator brother to force him to admit his fault in a personal tragedy.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 03 December 2014, 09:25 PM.

Goodness me. I think this episode broke my brain. I'll try to write some coherent thoughts down after the one viewing. Looking forward to rewatching it again in the morning. FYI - I missed the first minute of the episode (stupid train was running late! I was rushing to get home on time!), but when I started watching the woman was being forced to touch the obelisk (as an experiment). I don't know how she was chosen or how many others touched it before her. Will watch it tomorrow when I can download on iTunes.

--I'm going to get the "meh" part out of the way first: Bobbi and Lance. Yes, their bickering can be fun (as it was in "A Fractured House"), and it is an interesting notion to think how someone could be in a relationship with a master spy - knowing that they are excellent at deception. As many predicted, they jumped each other. The scene was fairly brief and for that I'm glad...because just about everything else in the episode was pretty freakin' cool!
    --I like Coulson trying to examine Fury's leadership style and figuring out that Fury was always five steps ahead and thought the way his enemies thought. And then coming up with the elaborate plan to get the intel he needs which included sending Tripp and Skye on somewhat bizarre missions.
    --I love that Coulson gave Fitz a task and a time limit with every confidence that he could do it. And go Fitz - you did it!
    --When Tripp got shot I thought, "Dammit!" I know there are a lot of characters right now and it's hard to give all of them attention, but don't get rid of Tripp! I still want to find out more about him. Also, as much as I had been enjoying Mack earlier in the season - especially the way he wasn't handling Fitz with kid gloves - lately he seems to be a grump-meister. I understand that it makes sense to have at least one character questioning what is going on - questioning whether Coulson was going crazy and the lengths everyone was willing to go to get info (putting Coulson in the memory machine). But the obelisk and alien city are pretty much the focus so if Mack just keeps muttering about wondering what sort of "freak show" he signed on for, I'm going to be super annoyed.
    --Ward vs. Ward. So, we finally learn that Christian did force Grant to put his brother in the well. However, it wasn't clear to me whether Christian actually tormented Grant and the younger brother all the time. Christian confessed that he hated the youngest brother because the mother doted on him and he was treated better than Christian and Ward were by the parents. So did Christian only bully the youngest brother - the one he hated because their mom loved him the most? I think there may be something to what Christian had to say about Grant wanting to believe he was a hero, and that also means believing that his older brother tormented him as well. Whichever the case, Grant finally killed his parents and his brother in a fire - which he had tried to do when he was first sent to juvie. It seems Grant's personal business has now been taken care of, so what is his next move? He said over and over to Skye that he was never loyal to HYDRA, just Garrett. I do believe that. Now is Ward joining HYDRA in order to be a double-agent? There is no one in a better place to find out all of HYDRA's plans than Ward. At this point there is no way they would think he was working with SHIELD. As far as HYDRA is concerned, he was HYDRA and never turned on HYDRA. Does HYDRA know that Ward gave Bakshi to SHIELD? Will they find out? Will Ward have an explanation? And what is the ultimate endgame? Does Ward want to take down HYDRA? Or simply use HYDRA to find out more about Skye's parents and history so he can get her to trust him again. (Delusional, but he could be thinking that.)
    --I was not expecting Skye's father to show up at the facility! When he didn't kill Coulson on sight, I figured it was because there was some sort of endgame that he was hoping to achieve that meant he couldn't just kill Coulson outright. But the END! First showing Whitehall, Ward and Skye's father all sitting together and talking about working together - creepy! And then the realization that the woman Whitehall mutilated was Skye's mother and that Skye's father vowed to get revenge on the man who killed her. WOW!!! (That's pretty much where my brain broke.) So going back to the original story about the Hunan province - someone was looking for the baby and a whole village was destroyed. Did Whitehall have figure out that the woman he killed had a baby? Was Whitehall looking for the baby in order to learn any genetic secrets she might have as well? Or was it Skye's father who destroyed the village looking for the baby? (A more likely scenario since we've seen how Skye's father can come unhinged.) Who knew that the baby was special and took the baby away? Agent Lumley (from Seeds) had said he found Skye in the arms of a dead agent.
    --Finally, loved the scenes with Agent Carter. Also love that Simmons is a fangirl! I'm really looking forward to the Agent Carter TV show.
    sigpic
    Thanks to Starlover1990 for the banner

Comment

I thought it was clear Hydra destroyed the village. I could be wrong though.

Ward is a head scratcher. One minute he is killing Hydra agents and the next he is joining them.

The ending was great. I didn't see it coming but it was hinted at throughout the episode.

Seems like they are going the Inhuman route. Not sure how this will tie in with the movies though.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
        I thought it was clear Hydra destroyed the village. I could be wrong though.

Ward is a head scratcher. One minute he is killing Hydra agents and the next he is joining them.

The ending was great. I didn't see it coming but it was hinted at throughout the episode.

Seems like they are going the Inhuman route. Not sure how this will tie in with the movies though.
        Agent Lumley (from the episode Seeds) never said how or why the entire village died, only that he and his partner discovered the entire village plus a SHIELD team were all dead and they found the 0-8-4 (Skye) in a dead agent's arms covered in blood, but unharmed. It was Ward who told Skye that the village was all HYDRA agents. (She confronts him about never lying to her and saying he didn't mention he was a murderer. Ward's answer was that he killed bad guys.)

Perhaps both stories are wrong. Perhaps the village was killed by the obelisk or something like it. And that's why everyone died except for Skye - because she could survive it.

As for Ward, he is definitely not loyal to HYDRA. He never had any interest in their goals, only wanted to follow Garrett. Now he is certainly doing things in his own best interests - settling an old score with his brother and parents, and also managing to put the blame for it on his brother. I think Ward only cares about Skye. He could have infiltrated HYDRA in order to get info about Skye's origins and/or her father. Maybe he thinks he can somehow help bring HYDRA down from withi - helping SHIELD just because that means he is helping Skye. I can't tell if Ward knows Skye's father or not. I somehow don't think so. I think he learned *about* Skye's father from Raina, but he wanted to try to find him with Skye's help. Similarly, I doubt Skye's father knows who Ward is - that he is in love with Skye. I think Skye's father only cares about destroying Whitehall.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by meredithchandler73 View Post
          Goodness me. I think this episode broke my brain. I'll try to write some coherent thoughts down after the one viewing. Looking forward to rewatching it again in the morning. FYI - I missed the first minute of the episode (stupid train was running late! I was rushing to get home on time!), but when I started watching the woman was being forced to touch the obelisk (as an experiment). I don't know how she was chosen or how many others touched it before her.
          Perhaps like in SG1, the ancients who bred with humans left some sort of "ATA" marker. So the Inhumans who were released by the Kree after their war ended with the Skrulls, left some sort of marker. BUT would that now make Dr Whitehall (Dr Reinhart) have it, or since he only took the 'unaging gene' from that woman who was Skye's mother, does he not? They need to explain that better.

--I like Coulson trying to examine Fury's leadership style and figuring out that Fury was always five steps ahead and thought the way his enemies thought. And then coming up with the elaborate plan to get the intel he needs which included sending Tripp and Skye on somewhat bizarre missions.
          All good leaders think 2-3 steps ahead of their enemy. Which is imo how Hydra was able to infiltrate SHIELD so deeply. they played the game better.

--I love that Coulson gave Fitz a task and a time limit with every confidence that he could do it. And go Fitz - you did it!
          And i loved Fitz's comment to Coulson just as they were about to leave.. "I got it down to 7 minutes. But that's with my bad hand"!
          WOOOHOOO!!

--When Tripp got shot I thought, "Dammit!" I know there are a lot of characters right now and it's hard to give all of them attention, but don't get rid of Tripp! I still want to find out more about him.
          With the previews we knew it wasn't going to be Coulson. So it had to be someone else on the team who was taken. Being Fitz is needed for tech stuff, that left tripp.

Also, as much as I had been enjoying Mack earlier in the season - especially the way he wasn't handling Fitz with kid gloves - lately he seems to be a grump-meister. I understand that it makes sense to have at least one character questioning what is going on - questioning whether Coulson was going crazy and the lengths everyone was willing to go to get info (putting Coulson in the memory machine). But the obelisk and alien city are pretty much the focus so if Mack just keeps muttering about wondering what sort of "freak show" he signed on for, I'm going to be super annoyed.
          He has gotten Grumpy..

--Ward vs. Ward. So, we finally learn that Christian did force Grant to put his brother in the well.
          Did we?? Or was Christian telling Grant what he wanted to hear??

It seems Grant's personal business has now been taken care of, so what is his next move? He said over and over to Skye that he was never loyal to HYDRA, just Garrett. I do believe that. Now is Ward joining HYDRA in order to be a double-agent?
          It made me scratch my head when we saw him sitting there, talking to Dr Whitehall about rejoining Hydra. I thought he was not loyal to them.. So IS he playing some sort of game there? If so, what is preventing Whitehall (or Skye's dad) from using ward, the way he thinks he is going to use them??

Does HYDRA know that Ward gave Bakshi to SHIELD? Will they find out? Will Ward have an explanation? And what is the ultimate endgame? Does Ward want to take down HYDRA? Or simply use HYDRA to find out more about Skye's parents and history so he can get her to trust him again. (Delusional, but he could be thinking that.)
          WIth how he still is smitten, i think the latter. IMO he simply wants to regain her trust by getting all he can from hydra..

--I was not expecting Skye's father to show up at the facility! When he didn't kill Coulson on sight, I figured it was because there was some sort of endgame that he was hoping to achieve that meant he couldn't just kill Coulson outright.
          I loved how he calmly mentioned to Coulson that "I just cut his brachial artery, if i let these clamps go he will bleed to death".. So coldly evil!!

But the END! First showing Whitehall, Ward and Skye's father all sitting together and talking about working together - creepy! And then the realization that the woman Whitehall mutilated was Skye's mother and that Skye's father vowed to get revenge on the man who killed her. WOW!!! (That's pretty much where my brain broke.)
          I am wondering. We know in SG1, that the Lanteans bred with humans, and left the ATA gene in some of us. So was that what marks someone as able to pick up the "Diviner"? Or is it something else?
          Does whitehall now have the capacity to do so since he killed that woman (loved them using the actress who played Anya from the 100) and 'took in what she had to keep himself young? Or is that aging issue separate from the ability to touch the Diviner??

So going back to the original story about the Hunan province - someone was looking for the baby and a whole village was destroyed. Did Whitehall have figure out that the woman he killed had a baby?
          It didn't seem whitehall even knew she had a baby, let alone that Skye's father is "the good doctor" was her husband. Will be interesting to see what Whitehall's response is when he DOES!

--Finally, loved the scenes with Agent Carter. Also love that Simmons is a fangirl! I'm really looking forward to the Agent Carter TV show.
          I loved the call back to Shields origins, and am like you, stoked to see Agent Carter!

Comment

This is definitely my favorite current hour long show running at the moment. It is just blowing the competition out of the water. If they hadn't thrown in the garbage with Lance and Bobbi this might have been a truly great episode. I liked Bobbi at first, but she has spiraled downward for me and this episode was a low point. They should do away with both characters. But WOW! was everything else just absolutely great. Oh another weak link is Mac questioning Coulson. I like his character, but this new thing they've given him to do seems forced. Still loved everything else. I just can't wait for the next episode!

Comment

Originally posted by Looney View Post
              This is definitely my favorite current hour long show running at the moment. It is just blowing the competition out of the water. If they hadn't thrown in the garbage with Lance and Bobbi this might have been a truly great episode. I liked Bobbi at first, but she has spiraled downward for me and this episode was a low point. They should do away with both characters. But WOW! was everything else just absolutely great. Oh another weak link is Mac questioning Coulson. I like his character, but this new thing they've given him to do seems forced. Still loved everything else. I just can't wait for the next episode!
              The Lance/Bobbi hook-up was the least interesting part of the ep for me as well - and really wasn't a necessary part of an amazing episode. However, as I mentioned before, it is an interesting dilemma to be in a relationship with a master spy. I honestly hope they keep the Lance/Bobbi romance to a minimum. And as for Mack being a grump-meister, it's not just him griping about the "freak show" he signed onto, but when he was talking to Lance about Coulson acting strange, I wondered if he was hoping to start some kind of mutiny or something.
              sigpic

Comment

I thought the Mac thing was just him stating the obvious. I thought it was odd that no else was worried especially the newer members.

Comment

From this episode, we know that Daniel Whitehall/Werner Reinhardt extract organs and DNA from skye's mother and kill her. And the Hydra's SHIELD agent grab the village elders, so we can also assume that the Hydra's agents kills any one else in the village(include the SHIELD agents and the SHIELD agent that save Skye from the Whitewall's hand). Avery agent using the dead agent level 8 credential to protect Skye from Whitehall. So one question remain: Did Skye's father kill the agents that help Skye hiding from Whitehall? Or the Hydra agents kill those agents try to get Skye location?

The Obelisk (or The Diviner) is DNA selector with people only carry certain genes can survive. So we can 90% sure that Skye is inhuman. So i would speculate that it is also a key for a supper weapon that would eliminate person who don't possesses inhuman/Kree gene. And the super weapon located in Attilan City. Inhuman was created during the time of the Kree-Skrull War. Now that Coulson have Kree gene inside of him, can we assume that he will be immune the Obelisk effect?

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                  Perhaps like in SG1, the ancients who bred with humans left some sort of "ATA" marker. So the Inhumans who were released by the Kree after their war ended with the Skrulls, left some sort of marker. BUT would that now make Dr Whitehall (Dr Reinhart) have it, or since he only took the 'unaging gene' from that woman who was Skye's mother, does he not? They need to explain that better.

I am wondering. We know in SG1, that the Lanteans bred with humans, and left the ATA gene in some of us. So was that what marks someone as able to pick up the "Diviner"? Or is it something else?
                  Does whitehall now have the capacity to do so since he killed that woman (loved them using the actress who played Anya from the 100) and 'took in what she had to keep himself young? Or is that aging issue separate from the ability to touch the Diviner??

It didn't seem whitehall even knew she had a baby, let alone that Skye's father is "the good doctor" was her husband. Will be interesting to see what Whitehall's response is when he DOES!
                  Kree is way much more cruel than the Lanteans. At least you won't be dead if you don't possesses ATA gene, just can't operate the Lanteans technology.

Whitewall is screw in seven different ways!! Both Skye's father and Ward are next to him. It will be thrill to know how Skye's father will gut Whitewall open like he did to Skye's mother, or tear Whitehall apart.
                  Last edited by yukin1990; 23 November 2014, 10:14 AM. Reason: proofread
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                    Did we?? Or was Christian telling Grant what he wanted to hear??
                    I wondered this too, however if it were true I would expect him to have just that that he did it. I wouldn't have expected him to go on to go over how much he hated Tom because he was the only one their mom didn't torture. Of course, he could of got that because he knew that's how Grant felt. He seems to know how Grant thinks pretty well, but nevertheless I think he was telling the truth.

What I find more interesting is how he said Grant craves to be a good man but can't seem to get over his darker nature... So in that case why did he join Whitehall? He told Sky he'd never lie to her as well, so I'm fairly certain he's playing Whitehall and playing his own game.... Which makes for an interesting combination given that scene at the end. Three men, all with their own agendas and each of them lying to the other.

I suspect Skye's father and Ward will have a fairly good partnership... particularly if the prospect of taking Skye away from SHIELD comes up.

... Also, really random but is anyone really, really wanting to know what the hell Skye's real name is?
                    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

After daddies little rant at coulson, i am intrigued to find out!

Comment

Working...
                      X