Wraith and life-force

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wraith and life-force

It is well known that adult Wraith live on life-force. For various people's ideas as to what life-force is, see:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odic_force

(and the main real-world effect of these is that QI and OD are now officially allowed words in Scrabble.)

Stargate says little about alien animals. I wonder if the Wraith absolutely need HUMAN life-force, or could they manage with life-force from any reasonably big and long-lived vertebrate animal? Would it ever be possible in the scenario of the story to make life-force artificially rather than taking it from humans?
    Last edited by AnthonyAppleyard; 15 December 2014, 08:55 AM.

It's probably the same idea as Vampire always seem to have. Ie human blood is more tastier than that of say a rat.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

They tried to feed Bob the Wraith other things and he wouldn't eat them. Given that he was going to be starving after the amount of time he spent in captivity, I think the idea is they can't survive on anything except humans or near humans.

The same thing is true with Todd when he was brought to earth. Or at least I'm assuming that that John didn't talk a guy into sacrificing himself, because no-one in the entire program had ever even considered trying to feed wraith something else.
      "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

I would think they need humans. They are going into all out civil war because of diminishing food sources. If they could sustain themselves on wild animals they wouldn't be fighting each other for human food. Todd nearly died that one episode because he didn't have any humans to feed on.

sigpic
        Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
        https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
          I would think they need humans. They are going into all out civil war because of diminishing food sources. If they could sustain themselves on wild animals they wouldn't be fighting each other for human food. Todd nearly died that one episode because he didn't have any humans to feed on.
          I'd say it's because humans have some stuff wraith need, that they haven't found in animals. So while it may be filling to feed on a cow, it won't nourish them.

Comment

In the books they pretty much made it clear that since the Wraith were evolved from humans that's why they could only feed on other humans.
            I like Sharky
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
              In the books they pretty much made it clear that since the Wraith were evolved from humans that's why they could only feed on other humans.
              The books don't count - speculation all the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                The books don't count - speculation all the same.
                Ohh! ^ is Anti Literature!
                I like Sharky
                sigpic

Comment

Perhaps the Wraith are just culinary snobs?

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
                    Ohh! ^ is Anti Literature!
                    Not anti-literature... just anti-canon.

Comment

I got yer CANON right here!

I like Sharky
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X