Did Luke turn to the dark side?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did Luke turn to the dark side?

I know I mentioned this in the other thread about episode 7 but it keeps popping up in my google searching..

Did Luke turn to the dark side in Return Of The Jedi? I keep reading personal posts that say around the middle of the film this is the case.... I just can't see it myself.
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

No. Using the strength that comes from anger and being consumed by that anger are two very different things..

Just because Luke is capable of feeling hate and anger towards the Emperor, it doesn't mean he has turned to the Dark Side.

And even though he was wearing black, once he unbuttoned his shirt it was revealed to be white on the inside.. so good all along

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
      No. Using the strength that comes from anger and being consumed by that anger are two very different things..

Just because Luke is capable of feeling hate and anger towards the Emperor, it doesn't mean he has turned to the Dark Side.

And even though he was wearing black, once he unbuttoned his shirt it was revealed to be white on the inside.. so good all along

Haha I like your logic

Comment

Imagine if all it took to become evil was feeling slightly annoyed Just once

There would be none left after their first class with Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
          Imagine if all it took to become evil was feeling slightly annoyed Just once

There would be none left after their first class with Yoda

This is very true......... So yeah I can't understand why some fans think this.

Comment

Being angry once won't make a Jedi evil. Fighting against the Sith Lord, who is also your father while being angry won't make a Jedi evil...

There's more to it than that. There has to be. Look at what happened to Anakin before he finally switched sides. And even then his reason for doing it wasn't because he wanted to enslave the galaxy, it was because he wanted to save his wife and unborn child.

Anger and hate are powerful emotions but that doesn't mean they're bad. Hating terrorism, traffic jams and Simon Cowell doesn't make a person evil. It makes them human. It's ok to hate those things. Just like love isn't necessarily a good emotion, you could say you love Justin Bieber, income tax or Simon Cowell. And that would be a bad thing

The feelings alone aren't enough to decide whether someone is a Jedi or a Sith, good or evil.. It's only when they're calm and at peace will they know (to misquote Yoda ) But then evil doesn't see itself as evil. If it did it would stop. So the only way to tell really is if they declare themselves to be Jedi or Sith. Luke may have used his anger to overpower Vader, but he remained a Jedi because he called himself a Jedi..

I don't know They're too similar really to tell them apart. I guess if you like building Death Stars and destroying planets, you're probably a Sith. Also if your lightsaber is red

Comment

I think Luke is pretty much in the mentor or in the captive role in this movie, but certainly not evil. The Skywalkers are soooo 20th century.
              "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Well look at Mace Windu, his fighting style even went as far as to tap into the dark side, but he didn't succumb to it. I think the best example we have of someone actually transitioning to the dark side is when Anakin consciously submitted to Palpatine. Before that he had just been struggling, but he wasn't an agent of the dark side yet.

Comment

In game terms for the RPG< he earned at least 1 DSP for that fight if not 2. BUT that does not mean he went fully dark. Though in later novels/comics (Dark empire series) he DID.

Comment

Originally posted by Aesop View Post
                    Well look at Mace Windu, his fighting style even went as far as to tap into the dark side, but he didn't succumb to it. I think the best example we have of someone actually transitioning to the dark side is when Anakin consciously submitted to Palpatine. Before that he had just been struggling, but he wasn't an agent of the dark side yet.
                    There was some Jedi that beleived that none of the force powers were dark or light it was how they were used that made someone on the DS or LS.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Chief Jack O Niell View Post
                      There was some Jedi that beleived that none of the force powers were dark or light it was how they were used that made someone on the DS or LS.

Interestingly enough, must of them either turned to the darkside or had pupils who turned to the darkside.
                      By Nolamom
                      sigpic

Comment

If you remember, Kyle Katarn(who is non-canon now, but still) used his anger and hatred as a weapon, but remained a Jedi at his core nonetheless. It takes you closer to the dark side, but you only really become a Dark Jedi if you choose to do so.
                        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                          If you remember, Kyle Katarn(who is non-canon now, but still) used his anger and hatred as a weapon, but remained a Jedi at his core nonetheless. It takes you closer to the dark side, but you only really become a Dark Jedi if you choose to do so.

OMG I remember him in the game Dark Forces........... Oh the good days of PC gaming haha

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                            OMG I remember him in the game Dark Forces........... Oh the good days of PC gaming haha
                            They were my favourite games of all time... I'm eager to go have another round at them.
                            I hope I'll see you in multiplayer.

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                              They were my favourite games of all time... I'm eager to go have another round at them.
                              I hope I'll see you in multiplayer.

OMG I got rid of Dark Forces aeons ago.......... But the memories of that are still there. They don't do games like that any more..

Comment

Working...
                              X