• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Magician (304)

Visit the Episode GuideARROW - SEASON THREE
    THE MAGICIAN
    EPISODE NUMBER - 304
    Nyssa arrives in Starling City and is stunned to learn of Sara’s fate, joining Oliver and the team in tracking down a man believed to be dead: Malcolm Merlyn. Meanwhile Thea returns to town, and Oliver and Laurel have a dispute over how to take revenge.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 29 October 2014, 09:31 PM.

This was a pretty cool episode and at the same time one of those times you wish Oliver was willing to kill in certain circumstances. I wonder why Merlin was released from the League?
    sigpic

Comment

I thought the entire point was Merlin wasn't released that is why they are trying to kill him.

The high points of the episode was the three way fight. Nyssa being Nyssa and telling Laurel Sara's coat didn't fit her. And I liked Oliver sticking to his no kill rule and causing a war between his team and the league.

I do think Oliver was being stupid saying he would protect Merlin the magician. The guy killed 500 plus people with his crazy earth quake machine, was the main reason his father is dead, and you know he killed many other people. Even if he didn't kill Sara he should die a hundred times over.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
        I thought the entire point was Merlin wasn't released that is why they are trying to kill him.
        Nyssa said something along the lines of "he was released from the League with the understanding that he abide my the League's code of conduct or law" and "the undertaking broke that code" so that was the point they decided to kill him.

Originally posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
        I do think Oliver was being stupid saying he would protect Merlin the magician. The guy killed 500 plus people with his crazy earth quake machine, was the main reason his father is dead, and you know he killed many other people. Even if he didn't kill Sara he should die a hundred times over.
        Agreed. It's one thing for Oliver to say, "I want no part in this" but another thing completely to put Merlin under his personal protection...as if Malcom needs his protection anyways.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
          This was a pretty cool episode and at the same time one of those times you wish Oliver was willing to kill in certain circumstances. I wonder why Merlin was released from the League?
          I actually liked that oli DIDN'T kill Malcom. That he was willing to adhere to his oath says a lot imo.
          As for Merlin's release, maybe it was a set up all from the get go by the League.
          Part of me actually thinks that Ras al Ghul killed sarah, just so he can set up Merlin and Oli.

Agreed. It's one thing for Oliver to say, "I want no part in this" but another thing completely to put Merlin under his personal protection...as if Malcom needs his protection anyways.
          Add another agreed. Oli imo was stupid in that statement. BUT i have to admire him for sticking to his guns (so to speak).

Comment

I never liked Sin but her absence feels wrong to me. Did anyone tell her Sara was dead. Sara promised to watch over her will anyone else take up that cause? I think the show forgot about her.

Comment

I see Nyssa's been reading Murder Solving 101, or, How to Railroad Your First Suspect Into an Untimely Demise While Letting the Real Killer Get Away With It.

Don't get me wrong though, it is much easier than actually honouring her oath to avenge Sara's death.

It's nice to see Oliver actually taking a stand against the League. There is this thing called a "moral high ground" after all.

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

Though since he IS a vigilante, how can he every really claim the moral high ground

Comment

Morality does not necessarily equal legality. Assuming that weren't the case, it's still possible to occupy a higher rung of the morality ladder than the League of Assassins.

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

So I saw this episode when it first aired as one of the first episodes I'd ever watched. Then I watched it again after having seen the rest of the show. And I've gotta say, Oliver not killing Merlyn doesn't make sense anymore after I understood all the background.

Meryln actually explained in very precise detail why Oliver needed to kill him. He's a terrorist that is directly responsible for literally hundreds of deaths. He cannot be contained. There is the only one way to stop him. If your only choices are kill a mass murderer or let a mass murderer go free, how could anyone possibly justify the latter? Isn't the entire purpose of his crusade to get justice? They talk about that exact thing in later episodes when Roy thinks he was responsible.

I know he made a vow, but there is no better way to deal with him like there was with Slade. And not only has he killed before, it wouldn't even be the first time he killed since his no killing vow.

Oliver later says that he would never have let him go if he didn't think he was innocent of Sara's murder. Why does only Sara matter? He's killed 500 other Saras. Also Oliver turned out to be wrong anyway, didn't he?

Initially I thought maybe he was doing it for Thea's sake, but I don't think he knew about the extent of their relationship at the time, did he?

Honestly it feels like the main reason Oliver didn't finish him is because he knew the show still needs to use the character.
                    Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 11 January 2015, 03:43 PM.
                    "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Oli whimping out on killing merlin imo is more of a family issue. He has lost all his family other than Thea, and even though merlin is only a half father, he still technically is family.

Comment

Is he though? It takes more than being related by blood to be someone's "family." Oliver certainly has no reason to want him in his life, and even Thea's sudden about face on him was something that I didn't really buy. He was also the one responsible for killing Oliver and Thea's real father and kidnapping their step-father.
                        "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Merlin killing or putting Oliver's family in danger negates any family issues. You can't let one family member kill off the others.

Comment

Look at how many people IRL though, cling to their family even with all the crap they do to one another, such as Domestic violence, or other crimes?

Comment

But he's not their family. They didn't even learn about his connection to their mother until recently and Oliver never knew him as anything other than his friend's estranged dad or an enemy.

Oliver's obviously wasn't trying to maintain any kind of relationship with him and he doesn't want Thea having one either.

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Working...
                              X