• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Am Become Death (110)

Visit the Episode GuideTHE 100 - SEASON ONE
    I AM BECOME DEATH
    EPISODE NUMBER - 110
    After Murphy returns to camp after being held and tortured by the Grounders, Clarke discovers that he has infected them with a deadly and highly infectious disease. Learning that the Grounders are planning a direct assault, Raven finds a way to make a major show of force at the bridge.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>

This one is one I am not the greatest fan of. That is because a high point of it is about the Clarke-Finn-Raven love triangle. The end result of it being over for Raven and Finn. I am not against romantic relationships in science fiction like some people are. I am just not interested in it when more interesting things are happening. I care more the blood fever. It speaks more to the Grounders are maybe they aren't as primitive as we might think. The ability to use a virus to weaken your enemy is interesting and to me speaks of their intelligence and tactics. I have often wondered about Murphy's intentions in this episode. We know the Grounders used him as a carrier. But did he know that he had the virus when he returned or was it just to get to safety? A question I don't think was ever answered. The blood fever to me was mostly a plot device. It was never something we solved. Most people just recovered from it. I just felt like it added tension and drama to the story of blowing up the bridge. I never really understood why Raven stole the bomb in the first place. Normally I would say of course they would blow up the bridge in time. The 100 has a way of sometimes not following the traditional clichés. So their was a real suspense for me watching everyone hurry to detonate the bomb It also feels like a buildup since we know this episode is intensifying the conflict that will come in the finale
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Maybe the blood fever was just like a flue. It hits, weakens you for a few days, then goes..

Comment

That much is obvious. It is exactly like a rhinovirus
        Jelgate is right

Comment

This episode was ok, it's not one of my favorites. I agree that it felt like it was just another episode to build up more tension with the Grounders before the season finale. It starts off with the kids at the Exodus ship crash site. I really didn't like that there weren't any survivors because I felt that the whole thing with Diana and the mutineers was resolved too easily and conveniently. Back at the kids' camp, Raven tries to contact to Ark but can't get through to them, leaving its fate uncertain.

Murphy is back during this episode and Bellamy isn't happy. He wants to kill him right away. Finn and Clarke think they should ask him some questions first since he's been with the Grounders. Murphy turns out to have been infected with something by the Grounders. He was let go in in order to infect the rest of the kids. It was the Grounders way of retaliating over what happened at the bridge. Everyone at camp starts to come down with what Murphy was infected with.

I liked how Clarke told Bellamy that Octavia should stay quarantined and to think of it as a way to keep her from sneaking out again, only to ask her to sneak out to see if Lincoln had a cure. Lincoln tells her that there is no cure, that few are immune, but the sickness passes quickly and that they use it to soften the battlefield. He also tells Octavia that the Grounders will attack at first light and that he can't do anything to stop them, since his people think he's a traitor now because of his feeling for Octavia. Lincoln wants to leave and take Octavia with him, but Octavia won't leave without at least warning the others.

Jasper was really annoying for a lot of this episode. He thought he was all cool because he fired his gun and shot Grounders at the bridge. Jasper calls Harper low-hanging fruit, he tells Monty that they're not the same anymore and accuses him of being jealous because people think he's (Jasper) cool now. I liked that Monty came to help him out when he needed to make the shot to blow up the bomb though.

Maybe Raven took the bomb to the bridge because she loved Finn and she didn't want him to go against his beliefs or risk death. She tells Finn that she took the bomb because he hesitated before he said he would take it. I think she was hurt because he didn't hesitate when it came to catching Clarke when she passed out because of the virus, and he could've died from that too. She may have just felt hurt because of Finn's obvious feelings for Clarke and was just being reckless in taking the bomb. Raven seems to act on emotion a lot. I didn't like the Raven/Finn/Clarke looks and angst during this ep. I felt bad for Raven towards the end of the ep when she broke things off with Finn after she realized that he doesn't love her as much as he loves Clarke.

After the bomb explodes Lincoln mentions the Mountain Men to Octavia, he says that they'll come and kill them all because of that, so he wants to hurry up and take off with her, but she won't leave her people.

I liked the conversation between Clarke and Bellamy towards the end of the ep. She tells him it's hard running things, which is something he told her earlier in the season. I really like them as good friends and co-leaders, but I would dislike it if they ever became anything more. I feel like that would just ruin things.

Murphy being so nice and playing nurse was a bit weird. I was glad when it turned out to be all an act.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
            I really didn't like that there weren't any survivors...
            If there had been survivors, that would have been highly unbelievable since the ship came down with a bang. A big bang.

////

Previous tally -- 92/102

-----

"I am become death, destroyer of worlds."

Oh Clarke, if only you could see the future. This is only the beginning of your journey to becoming the destroyer.

It's not one of my favorite episodes as it's mostly a lead into the big battle yet to come, but I do like the idea of biological warfare. We are to be believed the Grounders are somewhat on the primitive side fighting with bows and arrows, and spears and other sharp objects. But here they are, infecting one of the Skypeople and setting him loose, hoping he'll run right back to his people (even if they had banished him) and infect the enemy.

It's quite the strategy, a bit cowardly perhaps but if it helps win the battle and the war... all things are fair game, I guess.

Murphy is still his old self, with an added bonus of grudge. And I wanted to smack Jasper upside the head for most of the episode.
            I really love the interactions between Lincoln and Octavia.

The blood fever isn't lethal, even though some of our 100 don't survive. I counted 2 but then there are 14 graves at the end, and we're not clear whether these are virus victims only or 14 kids we've lost over the time they dropped down there up onto the virus. If my tally is correct than these are 14 virus victims cause I don't have 14 other victims.

Ah well... here be my tally after this episode:

Tally:
            Total teenagers left standing --> 92

2 killed by blood fever.
            1 murdered by Murphy.

14 graves -- virus-victim total?

89 left standing of the 102 in total.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              If there had been survivors, that would have been highly unbelievable since the ship came down with a bang. A big bang.
              But in season 2
              Spoiler:
              one of the other Ark stations crashed as well and there was at least one survivor, the girl that was hanging off of the cliff.
              The writers could've had survivors if they had wanted to.
              sigpic

Comment

The Ark stations are a different story. We don't see which one crashed and which ones landed. We clearly see a smoking crater for the Exodus ship
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Notwithstanding they came in way too fast at too steep an angle -- they were doomed from the get-go -- and without parachutes to slow their speed.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    The Ark stations are a different story. We don't see which one crashed and which ones landed. We clearly see a smoking crater for the Exodus ship
                    We saw one of the Ark Stations burn up as it was coming down and the station that the girl was from had crashed with only her as a survivor (there was wreckage around where she was found).
                    sigpic

Comment

Monty finds a weird signal on the black box from the Exodus ship which would have interfered with their navigational systems.
                      Also, the ship has rocketfuel on board to guide it -- it blew up.

The stations are simply falling back down to Earth, and if not at peek condition will burn up in the atmosphere. Or blow up.

Comment

If the writers could write in an Ark crash survivor hanging onto to the side of a cliff just so Belllamy can have a hero moment, they could've written in survivors to the Exodus ship crash if they had wanted to. Survivors in both scenarios are equally implausible or plausible it just depended on what they wanted to do. I just personally didn't like How quickly and conveniently that whole thing was resolved.
                        sigpic

Comment

Please explain to me how a survivor can be written into the crash when these events are at play:

1) too steep coming through the atmosphere
                          2) too much speed and nothing to slow it down
                          3) rocketfuel that goes boom after minimal contact with fire or heat
                          4) a mushroom cloud explosion which left a sizeable crater in the side of that valley

I'm not near the episode where the girl survived, and I don't quite remember it in full detail, but I think there was a parachute lying around in the neighborhood and the wreckage was still in one place (no blast crater).
                          If you hunkered down -- as the engineer said in 110 -- you could survive, with a lot of luck.

The writers could have changed the outcome, but not as they wrote it as is.

Comment

I'm saying that they could've written it differently so that there were survivors if they had wanted to. They had
                            Spoiler:
                            Abby
                            miraculously survive in a service bay (despite being in the ship right before it launched), right next to where the ship broke away from and wrote in some line about how it was possible to survive in there.

In the episode with the girl, there was wreckage and bodies scattered all over the place including off the side of the cliff.
                            sigpic

Comment

Technically he is right. But that argument can be expanded to any type of storytelling in the show
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                              X