• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unity Day (109)

Visit the Episode GuideTHE 100 - SEASON ONE
    UNITY DAY
    EPISODE NUMBER - 109
    Finn seeks Clarke's help in negotiating a peace with the Grounders before the first drop ships arrive. On the Ark, the annual Unity Day celebration is disrupted by a deadly terrorist attack.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>

And with this episode I pass FH

Their is a lot of foreshadowing for this episode. But I am getting ahead of myself. The whole premise I think is to separate Finn from Clarke. While Clarke does want to try peaceful options with the Grounders, she is also a realist and does not see why they would agree to such an scenario. Finn on the inverse is an idealist who wants to not repeat the nuclear war scenario that damaged Earth in the first place. The whole Earth story is a setup to the bridge scene. I remember the first time I watched this episode I was so confused on why Anya thought Clarke started this and her rationale for wanting to fight. To keep spoilers to a minimum, a lot of what is being said here is referenced to Season 2 especially when Lincoln says the mountain men are coming. I remember thinking, who are the mountain men? So knowing what I know now it seems a lot of the hostility between the Grounders and the 100 is a result of the mysterious mountain men. One criticism is how trigger happy Jasper was. It would have made more sense to wait until a Grounder took a shot before he shot the Grounder. I mean we did the same thing when we bought guns to the bridge. I understand it was a plot device to escalate tension but it did not make sense from a tactic point of view. The Ark story is what I really enjoyed for the episode. We finally see Diane put her plan into action. Its hardly new to see a terrorist attack as a diversion to get something. Ultimately the whole bombing of the Ark was so she could get the Exodus ship. I find her hypocritical. The whole point of the story is that she is stealing the ship for the working class because the leadership values themselves higher up. Is she not guilty of the same thing? I also kind of thought of her and all the mutineers dyeing on the impact. We have this munity story since the pilot that just ends with them crash landing on Earth. I will end by saying this episode is another one that humanizes Kane. His mother's death made him realize he was turning his back on heritage.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Kane was imo the only one of the ARc'ers who came out of this with a better standing in my eyes.

Comment

I loved the parts of this episode that took place on the Ark. Starting with the bombing during the Unity Day celebration and ending with the Exodus Ship tearing away from the Ark and it crashing on the ground. Diana Sidney seemed like she was just using the workers and their plight as an excuse to get power. The Exodus ship trying to break away from the Ark was one of my favorite parts. I thought it was really well done. You could feel the tension and I was actually worried about what would happen to the people on the Ark.

The Exodus ship was fully charged and ready to launch. Jaha, Kane, and the others were trying to get the door open to stop it from launching. The dropship hadn't decoupled and was still tied into all the major systems, so if it launched, the Ark would be crippled and everyone left on board would die. It would take hours for the people on the outside of the Exodus ship to decouple it, but Diana wasn't about to wait, so she separated the dropship from the Ark and we see parts of the Ark explode or go dark. On the ground the kids see an explosion, as the Exodus ship crashes.

The parts of the episode that took place on the ground were ok. I liked Finn during this episode. I liked that he was trying to find a peaceful solution to the conflict with the Grounders. I liked the meeting between Clarke and Anya to try to negotiate peace. Clarke was confused as to why the Grounders thought that they had started the war. She didn't realize that the missiles that they sent up to try to communicate with the Ark to try and stop the culling had burned down one of the Grounder villages. Anya told her that the fact that they had landed in Grounder territory, sent armed people onto their land, and captured and tortured one of their own (Lincoln), were all grounds for war. I think Anya had a point when she mentioned that once the others came down to the ground, they might not respect the terms that she and Clarke agreed on. She had doubts on committing to an alliance that the people from the Ark could break as soon as they got to the ground. Clarke tries to tell her that if they went to war, once the people from the Ark come down, that with their technology they could wipe them out. Anya then tells her that they wouldn't be the first to try. This seems to hint that they've fought another technologically advanced people before. Jasper seeing the Grounders in trees and screaming for Clarke to run, while firing his weapon, interrupted the negotiations and made things worse (this part really seemed to just be there so that there could be continued the conflict leading up to the season finale).
        sigpic

Comment

One thing i really wish they addressed.. Did anyone IN that exodus ship survive?

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
            One thing i really wish they addressed.. Did anyone IN that exodus ship survive?
            The answer is yes...

Spoiler:
            Clarke's mom is on board and not dead.

I couldn't quite remember this episode it seemed, but I felt a little gleeful knowing Diane had her end coming. In her lust for power she becomes what she apparently despises most, and completely becomes that egotistical maniac. The workers' well being my butt.

Kane keeps growing and I do remember I really, really like that he goes from, in my eyes, bad guy to "hey, this guy has the good of all at heart after all".

Finn wants it to be different this time, but it's clear once again that humanity will repeat its past mistakes and always "for the right reasons". We will never learn.

Tally:
            Total teenagers left standing --> 92/102
            No deaths to report.
            Last edited by Falcon Horus; 14 February 2016, 12:34 PM.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I don't think that counts. Abby was never on this Exodus ship to begin with
              Jelgate is right

Comment

I thought she was....
                But I was probably wrong.

Comment

She was on the Ark when it crashed on the finale
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Mmm... I clearly must pay close attention to the following episodes than.

Comment

Working...
                    X