Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
    Loving each new one, fanatic..
    Thanks! I'll be taking a break for a little bit for a variety of reasons, but I do plan to write about "Time" in the next week or two. That episode gets its own post.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
      Ad breaks suck a lot, but when the material is light hearted and doesn't require any immersion, it's somewhat tolerable.
      With SGU going for a harder angle on science fiction? You probably have found the best way to kill the experience.
      I think it was with SGU when I'd finally had enough of the ads and ridiculous breaks between some episodes for no reason that destroys the viewing experience. This view was cemented when I rewatched it on DVD and found it made more sense when it ran as a fluid narrative. Totally agree with you that this was probably the biggest contributor to ruining the experience of viewing SGU and why I feel so many gave up on it.

Originally posted by sci-fi fanatic View Post
      These episodes are very different, but I still wrote about them together. Here's my take on "Water" and "Earth":

http://www.ptsnob.com/2014/10/recons...rse-water.html
      I liked 'Water' for the fact that it delivered on the promise of 'very alien worlds'. I can only think of one other planet traveled to previously via the stargate where the team had to wear space suits in Stargate; SG-1's 'Message in a Bottle'.

I disliked 'Earth' for the use of the stones, it brought SGU back to what I hoped it was getting away from, reliance on Earth. Ethical issues arising from what people do in other peoples' bodies was unecessary in my view. I really didn't care what Earth could offer in the way of help and trying to influence events on Destiny, I wished for more of exploring Destiny and what other things may lie in wait for the motley crew to deal with on their own.

This was the point the first time round of watching that I almost gave up watching SGU, but I'm glad I watched the following week as the great episode 'Time' came along. The lure of more episodes like this kept me watching, allowing me to put up with the visiting Earth via the stones digressions.

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
        I liked 'Water' for the fact that it delivered on the promise of 'very alien worlds'. I can only think of one other planet traveled to previously via the stargate where the team had to wear space suits in Stargate; SG-1's 'Message in a Bottle'.

I disliked 'Earth' for the use of the stones, it brought SGU back to what I hoped it was getting away from, reliance on Earth. Ethical issues arising from what people do in other peoples' bodies was unecessary in my view. I really didn't care what Earth could offer in the way of help and trying to influence events on Destiny, I wished for more of exploring Destiny and what other things may lie in wait for the motley crew to deal with on their own.

This was the point the first time round of watching that I almost gave up watching SGU, but I'm glad I watched the following week as the great episode 'Time' came along. The lure of more episodes like this kept me watching, allowing me to put up with the visiting Earth via the stones digressions.
        Good point about "Water". Traveling to other worlds just feels a lot more dangerous in SGU, and that continues with "Time" for sure.

I can see your point about "Earth". I liked the change of pace and didn't mind the stories at home, but I know this episode was not enjoyed by a lot of fans. I hope that too many didn't bail before "Time", which is even better than I remembered, but I think that's what happened.

Comment

Working...
        X