Series of Articles Reconsidering Stargate Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Series of Articles Reconsidering Stargate Universe

Hello. I'm a long-time Stargate fan going back to the early days of SG-1 and have been following Gateworld for a long time.

Since it's been too long since I watched SGU, I decided to revisit the entire show and do a series of posts for my blog about the episodes. My post on all three parts of Air just went up today.

Here is my introduction describing the series:

http://www.ptsnob.com/2014/09/recons...-universe.html

Here's my look at Air. I'm trying to more than just a normal review.

http://www.ptsnob.com/2014/09/recons...verse-air.html

As a note of clarification, this blog is a passion project, and I don't make any money from doing it. It's truly an amateur site where I talk about movies and TV.

If you get a chance to read my post, I'd love to hear what you think!
    Last edited by sci-fi fanatic; 18 September 2014, 10:39 AM.

Read it and loved both posts. Look forward to new installments.

Comment

Second what garkhal said!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
        Read it and loved both posts. Look forward to new installments.
        Glad to hear it! I'll be writing about Darkness and Light later this week.

Comment

Enjoying reading your views on SGU too.

Your take on why SGU was different to what came before was well put. Nice to look at SGU for what it was rather than comparing. What worked, or didn't in light of the chance they took with moving away from a story telling formula that worked well for 12 years.

Comment

What hit me a like a brick wall is that the show started FIVE years ago already!
            To me it feels like SGU ended a year and half ago, tops. Dang.
            The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Yup. This month marked its 5th anniversary.. so technically the 3 year 'sleep' all our crew had would be over.. and IF (wishful thinking here) they decided to continue the show, it would have made sense to 'restart it' off this month.

Comment

Here's my next post on "Darkness" and "Light". I think they really set the stage for what the show would be. Of course, they may also have lost some viewers due to the pacing.

http://www.ptsnob.com/2014/09/recons...iverse_24.html

Comment

Loved your write up for darkness/light. Though i never knew it was supposed to be ONE episode called fire. Glad they decided to split it up then!

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                    Loved your write up for darkness/light. Though i never knew it was supposed to be ONE episode called fire. Glad they decided to split it up then!
                    Thanks! I think the split worked great in letting us get to know the characters. The only downside was possibly losing casual viewers that didn't like the slower pace.

Comment

Originally posted by sci-fi fanatic View Post
                      Here's my next post on "Darkness" and "Light". I think they really set the stage for what the show would be. Of course, they may also have lost some viewers due to the pacing.

http://www.ptsnob.com/2014/09/recons...iverse_24.html
                      These were two interesting episodes. Totally agree with your views on how well the special effects team did to make watching Destiny an awesome experience. The first trip through the sun to refuel for me was one of the most spectacular moments in Stargate. It was a shame that the pacing of the early episodes of the show were not much of a hit with many viewers. It had the unfortunate effect of emphasising what was missing as far as the lively get through the gate and fight the bad guys adventure goes. I felt it was a real adjustment to the deliberate focus on the characters being total victims of their circumstance rather than having an element of control that made SG-1 and SGA more dynamic.

It made the early part of the first season hard going, I was one who had to persevere a little to stick with it and give it a chance. The foundation being laid in these episodes really did pay off wonderfully later on though. I began to appreciate the characters and how they formed the adventure itself more and more as time went on.

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                        These were two interesting episodes. Totally agree with your views on how well the special effects team did to make watching Destiny an awesome experience. The first trip through the sun to refuel for me was one of the most spectacular moments in Stargate. It was a shame that the pacing of the early episodes of the show were not much of a hit with many viewers. It had the unfortunate effect of emphasising what was missing as far as the lively get through the gate and fight the bad guys adventure goes. I felt it was a real adjustment to the deliberate focus on the characters being total victims of their circumstance rather than having an element of control that made SG-1 and SGA more dynamic.

It made the early part of the first season hard going, I was one who had to persevere a little to stick with it and give it a chance. The foundation being laid in these episodes really did pay off wonderfully later on though. I began to appreciate the characters and how they formed the adventure itself more and more as time went on.
                        I can definitely understand your point about the early going. It's been a while since I've watched the first run of 10 episodes of SGU, and what's struck me is how much better they work on DVD. Removing the commercial breaks and week between episodes makes it a lot easier to stick with the slower pace and just enjoy the big moments. I think the odds were stacked against SGU with some big-time fans because of the way SGA ended, and the different pace to the early episodes lost others too. It's really too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by sci-fi fanatic View Post
                          I can definitely understand your point about the early going. It's been a while since I've watched the first run of 10 episodes of SGU, and what's struck me is how much better they work on DVD. Removing the commercial breaks and week between episodes makes it a lot easier to stick with the slower pace and just enjoy the big moments. I think the odds were stacked against SGU with some big-time fans because of the way SGA ended, and the different pace to the early episodes lost others too. It's really too bad.
                          Ad breaks suck a lot, but when the material is light hearted and doesn't require any immersion, it's somewhat tolerable.
                          With SGU going for a harder angle on science fiction? You probably have found the best way to kill the experience.
                          The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

These episodes are very different, but I still wrote about them together. Here's my take on "Water" and "Earth":

http://www.ptsnob.com/2014/10/recons...rse-water.html

Comment

Loving each new one, fanatic..

Comment

Working...
                              X