PROSE: Engines of War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PROSE: Engines of War

If there's any Whovians out there who were NOT already aware, the War Doctor has recently had his story expanded a bit in the novel Engines of War.

The story is set shortly before The Day of the Doctor (from the War Doctor's POV), concluding apparently either the same day as or the day before the 50th anniversary special. It follows the Doctor and a brand-new companion, who is a survivor of the Dalek invasion and occupation of the worlds of the Tantalus Spiral. The pair run up against the horrors of the Daleks and Time Lords both, as they try to destroy a Dalek doomsday weapon and save the Rassilon-led Time Lords from themselves.

This is the first Doctor Who novel I've ever read, and I enjoyed the crap out of it. No it wasn't a DEEP psychological story, but it was awe-inspiring, horrifying, and paced like a runaway freight train. Ever since the Time War was first mentioned in the new series I've wanted more, and I dug John Hurt's Doctor right from his first appearance too. The book delivered both in spades. It explored both the temporal tinkering of the Daleks and their monstrous experiments in revolting detail, as well as just how far the Time Lords had sunk by the end of the War, bouncing back and forth between the POVs of a wary war-hardened survivor and the self-loathing War Doctor.

I had a hard time putting it down, and finished it in less than a day. If you're like me and want more Time War / War Doctor, check this one out
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

I'm glad to hear you liked it Digi. I think I'll be putting this on my Chistmas List.

Oh how I wish Big Finish could get their hands on the War Doctor.

Comment

Working...
    X