Cryptography in SGU - an article at Science.I09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cryptography in SGU - an article at Science.I09

An article from the science advisor Mika McKinnon about the equations appearing in the episode Human.
    Cryptography Embedded in Stargate: Universe Hides A Security Lesson

Some interesting insights into the BTS level of complexity in this series and some discussion in the comments with some SG history tidbits too.

One thing I found interesting was in the comment section, Mika is discussing that "F the French" graffiti that got left in the episode (I think it was later removed) when it first aired. Evidently she was responsible for OKing all the writing on the walls (so to speak) and missed this one. She said:

Any time science appeared on-set, it was my responsibility. Technically, I was worked for Props (things the actors interact with), but realistically I was lent out to set decorations or wherever else science was showing up. I'm not in the credits or anything like that, so there's no particular reason anyone outside the cast & crew should know that it was my job. We once had a representative from The Powers That Be visit the set, and they were startled to learn they'd (indirectly) hired a scientist for years!
    We had filmed a scene pointing up that corridor at the start of the day. I'd gone and done my checks from that perspective, and stood quietly by during filming. As no writing had taken place, I thought I didn't have anything to reset or otherwise tinker with after the scene, so wandered away to commiserate with the crew about the show's cancellation. I didn't think to re-check when they flipped around to film in the opposite direction in that same corridor. I won't make that mistake again.
    It does figure that of all the Easter Eggs I embedded in the science over the seasons, it's a completely unintentional one that got noticed and remembered!

Thanks for asking about it; I've only been approached twice by fans asking what the hell happened, so not many people know the full story. Go forth and spread the extra layer of knowledge about that piece of unfortunate trivia!
    Also, talking about the SGA cancellation/SGU announcement she said:

To announce a series cancellation and a series start in the same press release was unbelievably stupid, but was not causal. The funding for the two were in no way linked, but the absolutely idiotic way The Powers That Be handled the announcements cast the new show in a shadow of obligation to be not only a worthy addition to the franchise, but somehow emotionally replace a beloved series, which is a pretty much impossible situation.
    The Plan was to run both simultaneously, as was done with SG:1 last few seasons/SG:A first few seasons. After SG:A was unceremoniously cancelled, the production staff campaigned hard to film the movie immediately upon the wrap of the series, using the sets, crew, and cast before they moved on to something else. The decision got dragged out, and throughout SG:U's run they kept trying to get The Powers That Be to let them wiggle in filming the SG:A movie, but with the DVD market plummeting, it never happened.
    The cancellation of SG:U, scattering the crews, sets, and props to the winds, was the ultimate death-knell for any chance of getting the SG:A movie. Despite the different tone and the different fanbase, keeping the actual people and physical things that created the shows active and financially supported kept the potential alive. When SG:U ended, it was the end not only of that specific series, but of the franchise and any possibility of any more movies for any of the series.
    sigpic

nice, thanks for posting this.

Comment

Working...
    X