• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the Forest of the Night (3410/810)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO - SEASON 34
    IN THE FOREST OF THE NIGHT
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3410 (810)
    When London and the whole world are taken over by a dense forest overnight, the Doctor finds himself searching for an explanation alongside Clara, Mr. Pink, and a group of school children -- all facing the possible end of humanity.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 25 October 2014, 08:24 PM.

Pretty good episode, but cant wait for next week after that next time trailer!

Comment

I didn't really care for this episode. The lack of people was off putting. The reaction to a new forest was disappointing. The missing girl at the end was kind of a throw away story that they should have skipped. The girl said she was being chased at the beginning but nothing came of that.

I actually did like the idea of the story. The little fairy things reminded me of the light creatures from Stargate.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
        Pretty good episode, but cant wait for next week after that next time trailer!

I'm jumping for joy as I was right.
        Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

The creature reminded me of the ones from The Doctor The Widow and the Wardrobe, and they were in trees too.

Must admit, I was also bugged by the almost complete lack of people. And, since they've not thought it through, if the trees appeared "overnight":
          a) there are people up throughout the night in London
          b) there are places outside London. Sorry BBC, but it's true.
          c) there are other countries, in other time zones, for whom the trees would have come up during the day

Yet another massive "attack" (okay, event) on the human race which we're so stupid we'll forget. Did anything from pre "Big Bang" continue to have existed afterwards?

Yet another episode for a second viewing.

Comment

1. OK...trees growing overnight...WTF? Had initially assumed it was a Rip van Winkle.

2. They did reference other countries...maybe the trees sprung up through the night in different timezones.

3. OK...there is no way Clara is evil!

Slightly wierd ep but there have been creepier...not vintage Who but there have been worse!
            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
              OK...there is no way Clara is evil!
              I really hope not, she's the reason I truly dove into Doctor Who to begin with (before that I only watched it if there was nothing on TV). Though, for some reason there is something about Missy that actually reminds me of Clara.

sigpic
              Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
              https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Caught it twice again yesterday, once intentionally and then the "official" repeat pretty much by accident. A lot of these episodes are, I'm finding, improving on a second viewing. This one is true, but only to a certain extent.

The other thing that's bothering me is the streets: where are all the vehicles. Actually, much bigger (so to speak): where are all the buildings? Streets aren't so wide, and the trees so dense, that you wouldn't be able to see the buildings.

Personally, I'd be more worried about the stability of civilisation if that many trees and other foliage grew up overnight and then vanished within a day. Ask a gardener, or even a plumber/sewage worker what damage a tree root can do. Speed of growth is immaterial: where it's gone is the issue. All sorts of underground structures, water/gas pipes and power/comms wiring will have been wrecked, along with foundations, tunnels, underpasses, subways and, in the cities such as London, underground train systems.

No, that's still not the biggest gripe, having watched again. Nor even the fact it shows the "forest" having grown over the 2/3 of the surface which is sea. I'm sure they can waffle about super-plankton that formed a mesh or something... No, the big problem: how did Maeve get out of the museum in the first place? It was electronically locked and physically barred. Unless she was missing all night, which I don't believe Danny (and probably Clara) would have allowed to happen.

Comment

I actually didn't mind this on a second viewing....... I just finished it on Iview...

In a way made me think of the movie Knowing minus the angel aliens .

Comment

My thoughts went to "Fear Her"... Though thankfully not in a bad way.

Yes, sadly it was COMPLETELY unbelievable. Made worse by the terrible CGI cleansing of the world at the end... AND worserer still - the girl's dead sister re-appearing, for absolutely no reason. I had in fact thought to myself before that scene - At least they didn't bring the girl's dead sister back - thank Dog we're in the 12th Doctor era now, where "Everyone Lives" is no longer the motto! And then she lived.

Story aside... I finally really enjoyed the new Doctor. There was still a bit of the modern fapping around (you know what I mean...), but on the whole, I didn't cringe, didn't find myself thinking "is this really the end of WHO for me?"

Gee whizz next week looks interesting... Hoping the Cybermen are nothing like their Nightmare brothers... Hoping the Cybermen are actually given a story to perform in, and not just another Closing Time/Good Man Goes to War...
                    back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                    "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                    and lots more!

Comment

Meh episode
                      sigpic

Comment

I'll have to watch it again.. I have family visiting and didn't get to see all of it.. But it seemed a bit pointless.. Trees appeared. A solar flare (which passed right through the magnetic field so would have stripped all the atmosphere from the Earth) then the trees disappeared and everything went back to normal.

The Doctor should have flown away as soon as he landed to find something more interesting to do. He didn't need to be there at all. Seemed like a filler episode before the big two part end of series episodes, in a series this short there really shouldn't be a need for filler episodes..

But I'll have to watch it again when the shrieking banshees have all gone home..

Comment

This and the killing moon episode didn't need the doctor. Pretty much the same results would have happen had he not shown up.

Comment

Rubbish episode, fantastic trailer lol. When Clara said she never existed, maybe she is a doppleganger or a surrogate for Missy?
                            "You don't know half of it".
                            Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
                            (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Comment

Is Missy Mercy Hartigan the woman that became Cyber king or shouldn't that be Queen?

Did Missy create Clara and why did Clara help the Doctor find the "right" TARDIS?

Head explodes

Comment

Working...
                              X