• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flatline (3409/809)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO - SEASON 34
    FLATLINE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3409 (809)
    With the Doctor in her pocket in a tiny TARDIS, Clara must keep a group of city workers alive when they are pursued by beings from a two-dimensional universe.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 19 October 2014, 08:01 PM.

Pretty good episode, but what has Missy chosen Clara for??

Comment

Brilliant episode. Some wrinkles, but a creepy high concept villain with tremendous threat potential and actual threat to the Doctor and especially the TARDIS made that well worth watching.

Siege mode TARDIS was great (very Pandorica-ish...), adorably tiny TARDIS even more so.., even when Thing/Doctor is trying to drag it off the train tracks.

The bittersweet ending was interesting.
      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
      sigpic
      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
        Pretty good episode, but what has Missy chosen Clara for??
        A Spy in the TARDIS? A connection to The Doctor? A conduit from wherever she is to wherever the Doctor is going? A way to escape from wherever she is?

Whatever it is her plan seems to involve getting Clara close to The Doctor, so doesn't that confirm it was Missy who gave Clara The Doctor's phone number?

Comment

Great episode from the off. Interesting concepts, good challenge with the Doctor being out of it, clever conceits, fair acting.

Starting to get frustrated by PC's poor diction at times: completely missed him naming the antagonists as "Boneless" because of his accent/mumbling. Which brings in my main gripe: after all the helplessness in the TARDIS, the solution was little more than a force-field, a sonic and a "you're being sent away". Bit weak after such an otherwise strong episode.

Comment

Very good episode, properly creepy.

Although, what happened to Rigsy's hi-vis vest? He was wearing it when he and Clara jumped out of the house's window, then it's gone the next time we see him.
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
            To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
            And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

It's strange, is Missy more powerful then the all the races of the universe plus the Great intelligence combined? Did she know Clara would up into the time vortex to save the Doctor's timeline?
              "You don't know half of it".
              Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
              (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Comment

And bad luck for the merchandising folks: too close to Christmas for the siege mode TARDIS paperweight...

Comment

Could Missy and her team somehow live or work in the time vortex? Could be how she can pick out the dead?

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
                    And bad luck for the merchandising folks: too close to Christmas for the siege mode TARDIS paperweight...
                    Wanna bet? Toy manufacturers get plenty of notice.
                    sigpic
                    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
                      Great episode from the off. Interesting concepts, good challenge with the Doctor being out of it, clever conceits, fair acting.

Starting to get frustrated by PC's poor diction at times: completely missed him naming the antagonists as "Boneless" because of his accent/mumbling. Which brings in my main gripe: after all the helplessness in the TARDIS, the solution was little more than a force-field, a sonic and a "you're being sent away". Bit weak after such an otherwise strong episode.
                      Agreed on the last point - even a little bit of blatant technobabble (e.g. "I can use the TARDIS's dimensional stabilisers to create a harmonic feedback. It should collapse their forms and force them back into their universe, but I need power!") would have improved matters. Still, excellent episode and some genuinely creepy villains.
                      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                        Agreed on the last point - even a little bit of blatant technobabble (e.g. "I can use the TARDIS's dimensional stabilisers to create a harmonic feedback. It should collapse their forms and force them back into their universe, but I need power!") would have improved matters. Still, excellent episode and some genuinely creepy villains.
                        The way I see Doctor Who now is that technobabble isn't really necessary. Everyone knows that it's all nonsense, and everyone can come up with a place holder like you just did so... might as well leave it out.
                        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I found the most enjoyable episode so far. Clara and her issues were minimalised and she comes off as unannoying and capable here. Even though she still needs the Doctor's help, she's now on the other side of the thing's she's whined about before. Letting people die/failing to save individuals while trying to save the whole.

A slight niggle I thought her use of the sonic seemed to equate it to the magic wand. She points good stuff happen, she shouldn't know how to use it afaik.
                          sigpic
                          Banner By JME2

Comment

1. Wasn't quite sure what to make of this ep to start with, turned out to be a "shrunk the Doctor" ep!

2. GOod point about Clara with the sonic, maybe it was feeding back readings to the TARDIS? Just guessing here!

3. Bristol! OK, I'll have to ask a certain individual how much he bribed Steven MOffat to set an ep in Bristol!

4. HOw the hell did the Doctor get the Addams family reference?

5. "My" Clara? Hmmm...
                            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                              Wanna bet? Toy manufacturers get plenty of notice.
                              And with modern 3D printing technology (sorcery ) a prototype can be made in a matter of hours from a reference photo..

Comment

Working...
                              X