Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Flatline (3409/809)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO - SEASON 34
    FLATLINE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3409 (809)
    With the Doctor in her pocket in a tiny TARDIS, Clara must keep a group of city workers alive when they are pursued by beings from a two-dimensional universe.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; October 19th, 2014 at 08:01 PM.

Default Re: Flatline (3409/809)

Pretty good episode, but what has Missy chosen Clara for??

Brilliant episode. Some wrinkles, but a creepy high concept villain with tremendous threat potential and actual threat to the Doctor and especially the TARDIS made that well worth watching.

Siege mode TARDIS was great (very Pandorica-ish...), adorably tiny TARDIS even more so.., even when Thing/Doctor is trying to drag it off the train tracks.

The bittersweet ending was interesting.
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.

Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Major General

Quote Originally Posted by Teddybrown View Post
    Pretty good episode, but what has Missy chosen Clara for??
    A Spy in the TARDIS? A connection to The Doctor? A conduit from wherever she is to wherever the Doctor is going? A way to escape from wherever she is?

Whatever it is her plan seems to involve getting Clara close to The Doctor, so doesn't that confirm it was Missy who gave Clara The Doctor's phone number?

Captain

Great episode from the off. Interesting concepts, good challenge with the Doctor being out of it, clever conceits, fair acting.

Starting to get frustrated by PC's poor diction at times: completely missed him naming the antagonists as "Boneless" because of his accent/mumbling. Which brings in my main gripe: after all the helplessness in the TARDIS, the solution was little more than a force-field, a sonic and a "you're being sent away". Bit weak after such an otherwise strong episode.

Very good episode, properly creepy.

Although, what happened to Rigsy's hi-vis vest? He was wearing it when he and Clara jumped out of the house's window, then it's gone the next time we see him.

Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

It's strange, is Missy more powerful then the all the races of the universe plus the Great intelligence combined? Did she know Clara would up into the time vortex to save the Doctor's timeline?
    "You don't know half of it".
    Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
    (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

http://www.forumpedia.com/style_imag...ext3420557.gif

Captain

And bad luck for the merchandising folks: too close to Christmas for the siege mode TARDIS paperweight...

Captain

Could Missy and her team somehow live or work in the time vortex? Could be how she can pick out the dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Quizziard View Post
    And bad luck for the merchandising folks: too close to Christmas for the siege mode TARDIS paperweight...
    Wanna bet? Toy manufacturers get plenty of notice.

Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Quote Originally Posted by Quizziard View Post
    Great episode from the off. Interesting concepts, good challenge with the Doctor being out of it, clever conceits, fair acting.

Starting to get frustrated by PC's poor diction at times: completely missed him naming the antagonists as "Boneless" because of his accent/mumbling. Which brings in my main gripe: after all the helplessness in the TARDIS, the solution was little more than a force-field, a sonic and a "you're being sent away". Bit weak after such an otherwise strong episode.
    Agreed on the last point - even a little bit of blatant technobabble (e.g. "I can use the TARDIS's dimensional stabilisers to create a harmonic feedback. It should collapse their forms and force them back into their universe, but I need power!") would have improved matters. Still, excellent episode and some genuinely creepy villains.
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.

Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Quote Originally Posted by Sealurk View Post
    Agreed on the last point - even a little bit of blatant technobabble (e.g. "I can use the TARDIS's dimensional stabilisers to create a harmonic feedback. It should collapse their forms and force them back into their universe, but I need power!") would have improved matters. Still, excellent episode and some genuinely creepy villains.
    The way I see Doctor Who now is that technobabble isn't really necessary. Everyone knows that it's all nonsense, and everyone can come up with a place holder like you just did so... might as well leave it out.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

I found the most enjoyable episode so far. Clara and her issues were minimalised and she comes off as unannoying and capable here. Even though she still needs the Doctor's help, she's now on the other side of the thing's she's whined about before. Letting people die/failing to save individuals while trying to save the whole.

A slight niggle I thought her use of the sonic seemed to equate it to the magic wand. She points good stuff happen, she shouldn't know how to use it afaik.

Banner By JME2

1. Wasn't quite sure what to make of this ep to start with, turned out to be a "shrunk the Doctor" ep!

2. GOod point about Clara with the sonic, maybe it was feeding back readings to the TARDIS? Just guessing here!

3. Bristol! OK, I'll have to ask a certain individual how much he bribed Steven MOffat to set an ep in Bristol!

4. HOw the hell did the Doctor get the Addams family reference?

5. "My" Clara? Hmmm...

Major General

Quote Originally Posted by BruTak View Post
    Wanna bet? Toy manufacturers get plenty of notice.
    And with modern 3D printing technology (sorcery ) a prototype can be made in a matter of hours from a reference photo..

First Lieutenant StargateMillennium's Avatar

Doctor: I know a race of sentient gas that throw fireballs as a friendly wave.

When I heard this the first thing I thought of are the ghasts from minecraft. Aw man, I feel so bad for killing them now. They weren't trying to kill me, they were just trying to say hi.

Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Colonel

This was an excellent episode.......This last week and the bank heist were my stand out episodes this series....

I dug up some other examples of wonky TARDIS events...

Planet Of Giants (Hartnell) The TARDIS (and occupants) are shrunk to about the size it gets to in this ep

Carnival Of Monsters (Pertwee) TARDIS lands inside a miniscope which doesn't so much shrink the TARDIS as place it inside another miniturisation field

Death To The Daleks (Pertwee) All powered machines (including the TARDIS) are drained by the City Of The Exxilons

The Time Monster (Pertwee) & Logopolis (Tom Baker) TARDIS inside a TARDIS and power drain in the latter

The Name Of The Doctor (Matt Smith) Giant TARDIS resulting from failing dimensional stabilisers

Any more?

BTW Is Missy a possible incarnation of The Doctor, or The Master?

I think she is the hand that picked up the master's ring.
    "You don't know half of it".
    Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
    (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

http://www.forumpedia.com/style_imag...ext3420557.gif

I thought this was an excellent episode, sort of Doctor Who meets Misfits. DWM says this was the Doctor-lite episode of this series, but it was difficult to tell.

I thought the monsters were nicely frightening and I just loved the Doctor doing his Addams family thing with the TARDIS. It looked like a hermit crab.

I see Clara is now lying to both the Doctor (about Danny knowing she is travelling with him) and to Danny as well. Poor Danny. She has the lies lined up on her phone so she can select one at random.

Quote Originally Posted by Coco Pops View Post

BTW Is Missy a possible incarnation of
    Spoiler:
    The Doctor, or The Master?
    Missy being
    Spoiler:
    the Master is the most frequent explanation I've seen. Missy = Mistress = Master.

But when she had a picture of Clara on her ipad, the first thing that sprang into my mind was the Black Guardian and the way he was with Turlough.

She is described as being the Guardian of the Nethersphere.

So I wonder if she is a Guardian, but whether she is the White Guardian, the Black Guardian, the Celestial Toymaker, or another Guardian altogether I don't know.

Or are those explanations just too obvious & she is something new?

BTW I have an idea of who Danny is, but something else occurred to me and the whole idea has mushroomed. I need more clues.

8/10
    Last edited by Blencathra; October 19th, 2014 at 05:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GodAtum View Post
    I think she is the hand that picked up the master's ring.
    No. It was established in "The End of Time (Pt. 1)" that the Master's ring was picked up by the prison governor (played by Teresa Banham) who was a member of Cult of Saxon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast