• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mummy On the Orient Express (3408/808)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO - SEASON 34
    MUMMY ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3408 (808)
    As Clara plans to say goodbye to the Doctor the two visit a beautiful train in space, where passengers are being stalked by a mummy who can only be seen by those about to die.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 11 October 2014, 08:49 PM.

10/10.

Best episode of the current series so far.

Loved the Doctor's cigarette case full of Jelly Babies, a very nice touch I though.
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Agree.

Great as a stand-alone, great within the context of the series, even connecting back to earlier episodes... "Are you my mummy?"!!!

Comment

One thing thats bugging me still is the fact that we still arent getting many answers about Missy and the Promised Land.

Hoping it doesnt get a rushed conclusion in the finale!

Other than that, realy enjoyed this episode.

Comment

Best lines - "Perkins, Chief Engineer."
          "The Doctor, nosey parker."
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
          To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
          And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

1. First impression...a Queen cover on a 1920s themed train isn't exactly authentic...but the song was still cute...

2. OK...so...the Mummy goes after people already weakened...interesting idea...

3. So who the hell created the Mummy?

4. First time in a while that the Dr didn't come accross like a bleep!

Solid stuff!
            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
              One thing thats bugging me still is the fact that we still arent getting many answers about Missy and the Promised Land.

Hoping it doesnt get a rushed conclusion in the finale!

Other than that, realy enjoyed this episode.
              Every other mystery has, why not this one?

So.. better than I was expecting it to be

And I still think The Doctor looks like Frank Skinner

Comment

The main plot was fine. The subplot with Clara was just grating. As is this series' approach to characterisation and character development, which consists of people just blurting stuff out and asking each other 'big meaningful questions'
                sigpic
                Banner By JME2

Comment

Did anyone find Frank Skinners character to be mirroring himself, really wanting to be in Doctor Who, then not staying too long?

Comment

Loved this episode. I thought it would be bad after watching the moon episode and a mummy story sounded dumb. However, this was the best episode of the season so far.

Loved the "Are you my Mummy" line, a throw back to episode with the kids in gas masks. Loved how they touched on the on going soldier theme and the coldness of the doctor. And I really really loved the part where the doctor ask Clara if it would be easier for her to believe he was faking being cold.

I thought it was odd we didn't get a Missy scene. I just thought the episode was setting something up that deals with her. Hmmm well it still could be I guess.

Comment

The person who gathered evreryone onto the train.. The one who worked in the shop and gave Clara The Doctor's phone number.. Most likely Missy.

And the idea of controlling death, or a creature who can extract life energy (like a wraith or Incubus/Succubus) could be linked to the 'only "dead" characters go to where Missy is' thing..

They were gathered to study it to find out what it was and how it worked. But if Missy was involved was she the one who created the monster or the one who wanted to study it to learn how to replicate its powers?

Or maybe it was the Doctor she wanted to study? If she was involved at all
                      Last edited by Pharaoh Hamenthotep; 11 October 2014, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Just watched it on Iview. This was much better then last weeks piss poor story.

One thing "hyperspace rails" well at least that explains a train in space where things are in 3 dimentions travelling as if on a 2 dimensional railway track....... And it had wheels too..

Gus sounds ominious.... The Doctor hinted at he knows who might have been behind all this.... I'm wondering who that could be.. I'm not sold on it being Missy...

However I am still intrigued by that dead cop. What did he see out of the window when he as in "heaven?"
                        Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Gave up half way through... basically when Doc12 "let" another person die without actually attempting ANYTHING to save him. I may not have been keen on Smith, but he did have moments of Doctorish greatness... something lacking for me to date with 12...

Doc1 would have held up his walking stick and given the Mummy a stern lecture.
                          Doc2 would have been grabbing things wildly to throw at the Mummy.
                          Doc3 would have McGyvered something together from people's pockets to make the Mummy go off the offence.
                          Doc4 would have yelled at it and then given the Mummy a sword fight.
                          Doc5 would have gotten between the man and the Mummy - even if it may have then walked straight thru him.
                          Doc6 would have berated the Mummy.
                          Doc7 would have in fact been responsible for the Mummy being there, drawing out the person/s behind it.
                          Doc8 would have kissed it. Err... He would have... told the man to grab hold of the Mummy's bandage and give it a spin.
                          Doc9 would have told the Mummy to go back to its sarcophagus.
                          Doc10 would also have kissed the Mummy, then apologised seven times.
                          Doc11 would have thrown his diaper at the Mummy.

Sorry, lost interest towards the end there... much like this Doctor. )`:
                          back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                          "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                          "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                          and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
                            Gave up half way through... basically when Doc12 "let" another person die without actually attempting ANYTHING to save him. I may not have been keen on Smith, but he did have moments of Doctorish greatness... something lacking for me to date with 12...

Doc1 would have held up his walking stick and given the Mummy a stern lecture.
                            Doc2 would have been grabbing things wildly to throw at the Mummy.
                            Doc3 would have McGyvered something together from people's pockets to make the Mummy go off the offence.
                            Doc4 would have yelled at it and then given the Mummy a sword fight.
                            Doc5 would have gotten between the man and the Mummy - even if it may have then walked straight thru him.
                            Doc6 would have berated the Mummy.
                            Doc7 would have in fact been responsible for the Mummy being there, drawing out the person/s behind it.
                            Doc8 would have kissed it. Err... He would have... told the man to grab hold of the Mummy's bandage and give it a spin.
                            Doc9 would have told the Mummy to go back to its sarcophagus.
                            Doc10 would also have kissed the Mummy, then apologised seven times.
                            Doc11 would have thrown his diaper at the Mummy.

Sorry, lost interest towards the end there... much like this Doctor. )`:

Hmmmmmmm OK he's not winning fans ......

I actually like this Doctor, at first no but he's grown on me.

The only gripe was the end scene. How in the hell did that engineer know what was inside the TARDIS "engine stacks?" How on Earth can a non timelord know what's in there?
                            Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

He does have his moments... Talking last week about mankind looking upwards... talking about his first encounter with the Daleks...

And I do still hold hope that the "Good Man" crap will end this season, and next season we'll see a bit of a different man... But basically I just am struggling due to the lack of compassion...

If they want to hilight the Doctor's good/bad sides, give him some choices where small cute furry animals have to die to save a whole planet... or something... Oh wait - then he just bails out and leaves it to the natives...
                              back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                              "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                              "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                              and lots more!

Comment

Working...
                              X